• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Teaching Methods (Common Core)

gdgyva

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I know i am older....and pretty set in my ways

But what the hell is going on with how they are teaching math in school right now?

Had one of my workers bring in her daughter to the work place....

Wife and I had no issue...she would do her home work, and read her study book while dad finished up his jobs for the morning

She ran into a problem doing fractions....adding, multiplying, subtracting, and turning back into whole numbers plus fractions

I couldnt make out a damn thing about what she was trying to do.....shading boxes?

I showed her my way...and explained it to her....within 20 mins she had finished the whole assignment and i double checked them and they were right

Was the old system broken? Did kids stop learning how to do fractions my way? Who decided the "common core" method was better or easier than the old way?

When you put in new systems, and the parents, grand parents cant even HELP because they are LOST on the new systems....we have an issue

So unless the school districts are going to give crash courses to all parents to be able to help their kids....this is a LOSING proposition

She got a 100 on the math worksheet, but her teacher was upset she couldnt do the work in the way she was supposed to do it....

So again....i ask....why the change?

There is no "common core" method. If you read the Common Core Standards, there's nothing in them that says how to teach fractions, multiplication, addition/subtraction. These methods are thought up by the multi-million dollar math companies. They always want to change things up and create new curricula so that administrators will buy their new fancy million dollar program. "New Math" is what it's called. "New Math" teaches several different ways to find the answers to problems and (is supposed to) allow students to choose the way their brain understands the best.

Back
Top Bottom