• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New Supreme Court Justice ????

Missouri Mule

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I know nothing about her. May be all BS, but supposedly comes from a respected web site.
======================

Edith B. Clement
Biography

Judge Clement was sworn in as a United States District Judge in 1991 and is presently serving as Chief Judge of the Eastern District of Louisiana. She was a maritime attorney in the New Orleans firm of Jones, Walker, Waechter, Poitevent, Carrere & Denegre from 1975 - 1991.

Judge Clement received her undergraduate degree from the University of Alabama in 1969 and her J.D. from Tulane Law School in 1973, and served as law clerk to the late U.S. District Judge Herbert W. Christenberry. She is a member of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, the Federal Bar Association, the American Law Institute, the Federalist Society, the Tulane Law School's Inn of Court, the Committee on the Administrative Office of the Judicial Conference of the United States, and she serves as the Eastern District of Louisiana Representative on the Fifth Circuit Judicial Council.

She is married and has two children.

Missouri Mule said:
I know nothing about her. May be all BS, but supposedly comes from a respected web site.
======================

Edith B. Clement
Biography

Judge Clement was sworn in as a United States District Judge in 1991 and is presently serving as Chief Judge of the Eastern District of Louisiana. She was a maritime attorney in the New Orleans firm of Jones, Walker, Waechter, Poitevent, Carrere & Denegre from 1975 - 1991.

Judge Clement received her undergraduate degree from the University of Alabama in 1969 and her J.D. from Tulane Law School in 1973, and served as law clerk to the late U.S. District Judge Herbert W. Christenberry. She is a member of the Maritime Law Association of the United States, the Federal Bar Association, the American Law Institute, the Federalist Society, the Tulane Law School's Inn of Court, the Committee on the Administrative Office of the Judicial Conference of the United States, and she serves as the Eastern District of Louisiana Representative on the Fifth Circuit Judicial Council.

She is married and has two children.

I also heard she's already gotten full confirmation of the Senate, and that the only reason her name is suddenly atop the list is because Laura Bush, whimsically said she'd like to see the next court Justice be female. And of course the media assumes that based on Laura's wishes, that's what Bush will do. Male or female, I could care less. Just put someone up there who is going to interpret the law as it is written.

Note to DJ: All federal court judges who have served for more than one year have confrimation from the senate. Ditto to Justices of the Appellate and Supreme Courts.

^Kennedy is helping to advise and consent, that is his job.

Oh well, you might think that they woudl instead consult with the people who would have to vote for the person, but you know, God is more important as usual.

Yes, as long as it isn't international law like Ginsburg, Bush should be fine. (oops, wait, the Bible was written in Europe? We can't have European laws here!!!!)

Looks like the original story didn't pan out. The betting odds are for this one. You can be sure it won't be Gonzalez. We'll know soon enough.

Judge Edith H Jones to be Nominated as US Supreme Court Justice

Republicans were elected democratically into nearly every office in the country, and only continue to gain influence. Why should Democrats get to obstruct judges nominated by the people (de facto) over nothing more than their positions on the issues? If a judge is anti-abortion or tough on terrorists and that's what the people wanted, who are Dems to vote against Democracy?

I know nothing about her...eek. Oh wait, she is anti-plaintiff and a member of the Federalist society. That explains a bit...

aquapub said:
Republicans were elected democratically into nearly every office in the country, and only continue to gain influence. Why should Democrats get to obstruct judges nominated by the people (de facto) over nothing more than their positions on the issues? If a judge is anti-abortion or tough on terrorists and that's what the people wanted, who are Dems to vote against Democracy?
You crack me up. I thought we had settled this with that thread on fillibusters...no? Well, here it is, in the simplest language. That is what goverment is.

And you want to ask me something else now, but let me say this. When Bill was elected into office, the Repubs blocked his people through dirty tatics as well. Why? Because that is politics.

Last edited:
aquapub said:
Republicans were elected democratically into nearly every office in the country, and only continue to gain influence. Why should Democrats get to obstruct judges nominated by the people (de facto) over nothing more than their positions on the issues?
Because democrats too were elected democratically into nearly every office in the country as well.

aquapub said:
If a judge is anti-abortion or tough on terrorists and that's what the people wanted, who are Dems to vote against Democracy?
Because the democrats were elected to represent their constituencies as well?

aquapub said:
If a judge is anti-abortion or tough on terrorists and that's what the people wanted, who are Dems to vote against Democracy?
What did John McEnroe say? "You can't be serious!"

Two-Thirds of America support Roe V. Wade, so based on your statement Bush should nominate a Pro-Choice judge....which, BTW, Edith Clement IS....

Oh....what does a Supreme Court Justice have to do with being "tough on terrorists?"

26 X World Champs said:
What did John McEnroe say? "You can't be serious!"

Two-Thirds of America support Roe V. Wade, so based on your statement Bush should nominate a Pro-Choice judge....which, BTW, Edith Clement IS....

Oh....what does a Supreme Court Justice have to do with being "tough on terrorists?"

John McEnroe? Where'd that come from?

They kept this news well guarded. Some well placed sources thought they had the answer last night and even the betting concerns had it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom