• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A new superbug that is resistant to even the most powerful antibiotics has entered UK hospitals, experts warn.
They say bacteria that make an enzyme called NDM-1 have travelled back with NHS patients who went abroad to countries like India and Pakistan for treatments such as cosmetic surgery.
Although there have only been about 50 cases identified in the UK so far, scientists fear it will go global.
Tight surveillance and new drugs are needed says Lancet Infectious Diseases.

CONTINUED: BBC News - New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals

2oytv

Read about this today. It's ironic because the western world is now home to the most deadly bacteria in the world. I've had food poisoning any number of times in asia due to salmonella or viruses, you name it; but the most serious food poisoning incident I've had to date has been in my own country. I almost died, and unlike all the other times I had food poisoning, this case was extremely acute and came on within 8 hours of eating the contaminated food. It's because the bugs here are stronger than anywhere else.

Our industrial apparatus here in the west combined with reckless use of antibiotics is going to do us in. And what's the deal with all this hand sanitizer garbage everywhere you look these days? That is also contributing to super bugs evolving to kill us even more efficiently. Have people forgotten what soap and water is? Honestly. Even after doctors have been warning the public of antibiotic use, industry is still using it like there's no tomorrow, and we still have consumer anti-bacterial madness being pitched with all our products.

In 100 years or so, "modern" medicine is going to look back on this period and just cringe at our willful ignorance.

Read about this today. It's ironic because the western world is now home to the most deadly bacteria in the world. I've had food poisoning any number of times in asia due to salmonella or viruses, you name it; but the most serious food poisoning incident I've had to date has been in my own country. I almost died, and unlike all the other times I had food poisoning, this case was extremely acute and came on within 8 hours of eating the contaminated food. It's because the bugs here are stronger than anywhere else.

Our industrial apparatus here in the west combined with reckless use of antibiotics is going to do us in. And what's the deal with all this hand sanitizer garbage everywhere you look these days? That is also contributing to super bugs evolving to kill us even more efficiently. Have people forgotten what soap and water is? Honestly. Even after doctors have been warning the public of antibiotic use, industry is still using it like there's no tomorrow, and we still have consumer anti-bacterial madness being pitched with all our products.

In 100 years or so, "modern" medicine is going to look back on this period and just cringe at our willful ignorance.

A lot of Doc's still proscribe antibiotics for the flu, just to get the patient off their backs and give the appearance of doing something.
I hate it.

Why isn't this thread in the Health forum?

Back
Top Bottom