• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New Study Shows Obamacare is Stabilizing, Not Imploding

As further evidence that insurance is a huge reason prices are as high as they are, consider this.

I live in an area that has a large population of Mennonite and Amish (collectively referred to as the Plain Community). Most of these people do not have insurance, either because they are self-employed farmers or because it conflicts with their religious convictions, and they are among the few groups who are excluded form the Obamacare statutes due to this religious objection. As a result, they pay out of pocket for healthcare.

The primary hospital in our area found that the Plain Community had set up a transportation network to shuttle members to a nearby state in which elective procedures (like your knee replacement example) were less expensive than local providers. They actually got rides to other states to pay less money for their services. As a result, the local hospital created a cost sharing mechanism that allows card-carrying members of these churches (yes, they created ID cards for this specific purpose) to get a discount on local services to the tune of 45%.

Again, the take home being that people WITH insurance accept higher priced care because they are not actually paying the bill, they are paying their premium. Those without insurance make more frugal choices, and as a result the market prices lower to attract business.

Pretty much everybody agrees the ACA needs fixing but like I said is true the vast majority of people have good affordable insurance policies now or on Medicaid that didn't have anything before

Pretty much everybody agrees the ACA needs fixing but like I said is true the vast majority of people have good affordable insurance policies now or on Medicaid that didn't have anything before

I find that hard to believe. Please give a link supporting this. Here's a link that suggests the opposite:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/18/more...-over-100-per-month-for-health-insurance.html
Not only do people say they cannot afford a paltry $1200/yr premium, but that number is less than a third of the national average for the cheapest marketplace plan. The only reason people can "afford" their insurance is because they receive subsidies which come directly from taxes placed on those few who can afford it.
Not only have premiums gone up beyond what people "can afford", but deductibles are now averaging in ridiculous ranges ($6092 for the bronze plans). https://www.healthpocket.com/health...7-obamacare-premiums-deductibles#.WWZ00Yjytdg

If you call that affordable, then more power to you. But the unsubsidized consumer (like myself) is probably paying for your plan then too. Your welcome.

Actually they are getting tax credits you need to do your homework

Actually they are getting tax credits you need to do your homework

Come on, you're splitting hairs. "you can decide if you want to have all, some, or none of your estimated credit paid in advance directly to your insurance company to lower your monthly premiums." -https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/questions-and-answers-on-the-premium-tax-credit In other words, they don't even have to pay the whole premium out of pocket initially with the plan of getting it returned as part of their tax refund. Either way, the subsidy lowers their out of pocket cost.

Regardless, the high premiums paid by the unsubsidized were increased to the level that they are currently as a result of including those who get subsidized healthcare. It is cost sharing, pure and simple. The insurance company (like emergency rooms) eats it in regards to the subsidized, and raises the price overall, which really only affects the unsubusidized.

I noticed you didn't bother to provide the reference I requested, or comment on those that I did provide.

People had opportunities to "save tens of thousands of dollars they spent on premiums during their youth"..

Been there done that. We have been where the local doctor was paid in chickens. And you know what.. the care barely improved until.. either the government paid for it (WWI and WWII) or insurance paid for it.

I guess if we could all just decide to save those tens of thousands of dollars.. and then have our injuries when we are 90 years old and rich.. your idea pencils out mathematically.

but the young fellow starting his job in the apple orchard hasn't had time to "save tens of thousands of dollars".. when he got appendicitis and needed an appendectomy before he became septic. In the old days? He probably would die.. a good chance of that.

Or how about that 1 year old with influenza? How many thousands of dollars had he and his parents saved.

Right.. only because healthier people.. are paying for those that aren;t so healthy.. or have a problem.. or haven't had time to pay in enough before they get sick etc. ITS NOT that every person is capable of paying whenever they get sick.. that's why its called insurance.

Some individuals pay more in than they ever take out.. some individuals take out more than they ever put in.. that's how insurance works. Not that every individual is capable of putting in enough money to cover every eventuality..

So as a matter of fact.. that healthcare without insurance wouldn't cost much;. but it wouldn't be much.. just like in the past. If you want to go back to the late 1800's and early 1900's when it comes to care... okay.. but that's what would happen.

I get what you are saying. But your dates are a bit off. You see, insurance didn't become "the way we pay for healthcare" until about the mid 1980s. Check out the graph on this link I posted earlier: https://fee.org/articles/if-cosmetic-surgery-has-a-working-market-why-can-t-medical-care/

You see, until pretty recently, health insurance was primarily supplied as a work benefit in order to attract employees. It was never this "necessity", but was a luxury. As more and more people got employer sponsored health insurance, it became an expectation on the part of the employee, and almost all employers offered it. Now, even the unemployed "need" insurance. That does not change the fact that most people never get out of the system anywhere near what they put in.

Furthermore, it was not the advent of health insurance that paved the road for advancements in healthcare. Discoveries like disinfectant, penicillin, and even the first vaccines all came before health insurance was available or at least prevalent.

And P.S., the one year old with influenza will be just fine. Mortality rates are relatively low, and considering there is no particularly effective treatment for the flu in the first place...

Yeah wrong. the minute that health insurance became a work benefit.. then insurance became the way we paid for healthcare. Its what added paired demand for a say a heart operation in a working individual.. with the money to pay for it. thus spurring medical technology and innovation (as did the government paying for healthcare in WW1 and WWII.). When medicare was added to the mix.. in 1965.. then you saw a huge advancement in medical technology and procedures as now you paired way more people that demanded healthcare with the money to pay for it.
Maybe you consider having a stent place in your heart a luxury.. or a ACL repair a luxury in a working person. Life expectancy for a male in 1946 was about 63 years. Now its above its about 80.

Furthermore, it was not the advent of health insurance that paved the road for advancements in healthcare. Discoveries like disinfectant, penicillin, and even the first vaccines all came before health insurance was available or at least prevalent.

Too funny.. what you don't realize WHY advancements of healthcare like disinfectant, and vaccines and even penicillin occurred before insurance.

Government money was a major player in the development and production of penicillin for the war effort.

Vaccines developed and were produced due to government money as well.
National efforts to promote vaccine use among all children began with the appropriation of federal funds for polio vaccination after introduction of the vaccine in 1955
(

On vaccines.. and disinfectant? Those things are used in preventative medicine and thus are used by large numbers of individuals. In other words.. tremendous volume.. which means that prices can be kept lower because the demand is so much greater. not to mention that vaccines have benefited from government funding and support.

and PS the one year old with influenza won't be just fine.. Mortality rates NOW are relatively low.. because of our healthcare system and its advancements in support for children.. from IV's to respiratory drugs to ventilators.

Prior to that.. influenza strains killed millions.

Other than during the periodic epidemics, the infant mortality rate from influenza was still relatively low (worst quoted rate I can find is 10% of those who were infected in German Samoa during the 1918 pandemic). The vast majority of people who got the flu, got better. And then, now, etc. there is still no treatment that is particularly successful for influenza. If you are talking about supportive care for the pneumonia that can result, etc. then yes, getting care is better than not getting care. But are you trying to tell me that EACH 1 year old with the flu would DIE without treatment? Part of the dramatic fear mongering that we deal with in the media is based on inflating the danger of illnesses. I'm not arguing that influenza is not a problem, or that it CAN'T be deadly. But holding up a random 1 y/o with the flu and saying that they would suffer significantly without healthcare is just plain manipulative and wrong.

As to your other statements, Govt funding for research does not equate to health insurance. As far as the plain community, that is a clear example of competition (they go where the price is lower) driving reduction in prices (lower rate to incentivize staying in the area). It makes no difference that the Ohio schedule accepts insurance, because these people don't have insurance (I know you were pointing out that the Ohio hospital accepts insurance AND has low rates, I get that point). But they make better financial choices than the people who accept higher costs in this area DUE to the fact that they are self pay.
I didn't work in the 70's, so I cannot speak with any authority on the matter. But Insurance started out as a "benefit" of employment.

Another area that is very similar is dental insurance. Most don't have it, some employers offer it, and it is a benefit meant to attract employees. But there has been a push to make dental insurance universal as well, and the price will most likely rise when that happens.

Last edited:

But they make better financial choices than the people who accept higher costs in this area DUE to the fact that they are self pay.

Yeah.. not true. the idea that people don't make financial choices when they can because they have insurance is largely laughable. purely laughable. The next time you have a heart attack.. I doubt you are going to spend your time delaying transfer to the nearest hospital because "let me see their prices.. I want to know which one is cheaper"..

Another area that is very similar is dental insurance.
Actually its not similar because there is no mandate that dentists have to accept patients that cannot pay.. while hospitals do.

77% of those enrolled in the ACA qualify for the aptc and have a premium of less than $100

77% of those enrolled in the ACA qualify for the aptc and have a premium of less than $100

Provide a reference please, and tell me, does that $100 premium include the aptc "discount" or not?
Your stat is self-serving, as obviously people who qualify for the aptc would likely opt for a marketplace plan. Those who don't get the tax credit are likely to a.) go without insurance, as millions do, b.) have an employer-sponsored group plan, or c.) have a non ACA compliant catastrophic plan and pay the penalty.

This is like saying that 77% of Catholics go to church, so the whole country is religious.

You're trying to push desperately I might add a right-wing agenda I'm going to back off now and let you play with yourself

honestly. that's simply not true. People are clamoring for more treatment and more advancement than ever before.. demand is continually increasing.

Sure.. and there are studies show that that reluctance to get early treatment leads to way more cost for expensive things when the problem is an emergency. Face it.. going to a doctor for a cold is a low cost endeavor.. it just doesn't cost that much.. because if aren;t really sick.. you aren;t going to rack up a bunch of cost.

OR you can be like my mother who refused to go to the physician when she got a cold.. and waited until it was full blown pneumonia before I got her to a hospital and she spent 7 days in the ICU.. where they ALMOST had to put her on a ventilator. And she had to undergo respiratory treatments for months later.

If she had gone to the doctor that first day? would have avoided all that.

True.. however, the screen is really cheap.. and if it catches a few people that have Hep C and they can get early treatment.. its saves thousands and thousands of dollars vs the cost of thousands of negative screens.

And by the way.. in a lot of cases.. insurance DOES NOT cover screens and tests UNLESS THEY ARE INDICATED. Which means that if I order a screen or test and there is no supporting documentation.. I have a good chance of having to eat the cost not the patient. Because I don't get paid for treatments and tests that are not medically necessary.

Many if not most plans cover Zostavax if you are over 60.

And many plans cover erectile dysfunction drugs.. depending on medical necessity and what the drug is.

You aren't making sense 77 percent is 77 percent a hundred bucks is 100 bucks I don't know how more simply it could be put

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…