• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New study shows dangers of in-flight COVID-19 transmission

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
One person with COVID-19 infected 15 others during a long-haul flight from London to Vietnam in early March, according to a new analysis.

The study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which was released ahead of its final publication in November, is one of the first to analyze the dangers of in-flight transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

While the airline industry has judged the risk for in-flight transmission to be very low, the researchers noted that long flights in particular have become a matter of increasing concern as many countries have started lifting flight restrictions despite ongoing the ongoing pandemic.

The researchers identified a 27-year-old woman in business class as the primary source of the outbreak. The woman first developed a sore throat and cough on Feb. 29. She boarded the plane March 1, and continued to experience those symptoms throughout the 10-hour flight.

She developed a fever, fatigue and shortness of breath upon arrival, and was diagnosed with COVID-19 five days later.

The woman was the only symptomatic person on the flight, but researchers found she had infected 12 people in business class, two passengers in economy and one flight attendant in economy.

The most likely route of transmission during the flight is aerosol or droplet transmission, the researchers found, particularly for people seated in business class. Contact with the infected woman might also have occurred outside the airplane at the airport, in particular among business class passengers in the pre-departure lounge area or during boarding.

Contact with the two economy class cases might have occurred after arrival during immigration or at baggage claim.

The researchers said the role of fomites and on-board surfaces like tray tables or toilets remains unknown. Airline crew often use business class toilets while on board, which might explain the case among the crew serving in economy class, because no other potential source of infection could be established.
The flight took place March 1, before face masks were required or recommended on airplanes. Masks will certainly help reduce the risk of transmission, but the researchers said more on-board precautions and screening procedures should be taken, especially in the absence of a good test that can provide rapid results.

Transmission was clustered in business class, where seats are already more widely spaced than in economy class, and infection spread much further than the existing two-row or six-foot rule recommended for COVID-19 prevention on airplanes and other public transport would have captured.

"The risk for on-board transmission of SARS-CoV-2 during long flights is real and has the potential to cause COVID-19 clusters of substantial size, even in business class–like settings with spacious seating arrangements well beyond the established distance used to define close contact on airplanes," the study concluded.
=================================================================
Too bad that the airline companies are going out of business because of the virus threat, I'm glad that my flying days are in the past as this case shows how risky taking a flight can be.

One person with COVID-19 infected 15 others during a long-haul flight from London to Vietnam in early March, according to a new analysis.

The study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which was released ahead of its final publication in November, is one of the first to analyze the dangers of in-flight transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

While the airline industry has judged the risk for in-flight transmission to be very low, the researchers noted that long flights in particular have become a matter of increasing concern as many countries have started lifting flight restrictions despite ongoing the ongoing pandemic.

The researchers identified a 27-year-old woman in business class as the primary source of the outbreak. The woman first developed a sore throat and cough on Feb. 29. She boarded the plane March 1, and continued to experience those symptoms throughout the 10-hour flight.

She developed a fever, fatigue and shortness of breath upon arrival, and was diagnosed with COVID-19 five days later.

The woman was the only symptomatic person on the flight, but researchers found she had infected 12 people in business class, two passengers in economy and one flight attendant in economy.

The most likely route of transmission during the flight is aerosol or droplet transmission, the researchers found, particularly for people seated in business class. Contact with the infected woman might also have occurred outside the airplane at the airport, in particular among business class passengers in the pre-departure lounge area or during boarding.

Contact with the two economy class cases might have occurred after arrival during immigration or at baggage claim.

The researchers said the role of fomites and on-board surfaces like tray tables or toilets remains unknown. Airline crew often use business class toilets while on board, which might explain the case among the crew serving in economy class, because no other potential source of infection could be established.
The flight took place March 1, before face masks were required or recommended on airplanes. Masks will certainly help reduce the risk of transmission, but the researchers said more on-board precautions and screening procedures should be taken, especially in the absence of a good test that can provide rapid results.

Transmission was clustered in business class, where seats are already more widely spaced than in economy class, and infection spread much further than the existing two-row or six-foot rule recommended for COVID-19 prevention on airplanes and other public transport would have captured.

"The risk for on-board transmission of SARS-CoV-2 during long flights is real and has the potential to cause COVID-19 clusters of substantial size, even in business class–like settings with spacious seating arrangements well beyond the established distance used to define close contact on airplanes," the study concluded.
Too bad that the airline companies are going out of business because of the virus threat, I'm glad that my flying days are in the past as this case shows how risky taking a flight can be.
This is good news. Air travel is killing the planet; let's end it.

They had this on NPR today. To be fair, when this woman was on the flight, no one had masks. They did say that since then, the risk has greatly gone down.

I have no problem with flying right now, provided everyone is wearing a mask and the plane is being properly sterilized.

LOL. This wasn't brain surgery or rocket science. But, it is pretty amusing that when I brought this up about a month ago here on DP, the left attacked me relentlessly, telling me how safe air in a plane is.

LOL. This wasn't brain surgery or rocket science. But, it is pretty amusing that when I brought this up about a month ago here on DP, the left attacked me relentlessly, telling me how safe air in a plane is.
They recycle most of the cabin air to save on fuel. Even with inline HEPA filters, you can't avoid being exposed to the virus if you are near infected people. People are always moving around in airplane cabins to use the rest rooms etc.

They recycle most of the cabin air to save on fuel. Even with inline HEPA filters, you can't avoid being exposed to the virus if you are near infected people. People are always moving around in airplane cabins to use the rest rooms etc.
Exactly, just as I said about a month ago and lefty DP'rs attacked me. And, that is the problem with large outdoor gatherings such as beaches and protests, just to name a couple. More than likely you aren't going to get Covid just from being around others on a beach or outdoor protesting but where are you getting your food and drink? Where are you going to the bathroom? That is where you are picking it up.

This is a new study? Something that happened in March.

New enough for this board.

Is there any recent studies? I've heard that the odds of getting infected is about 4,000 to 1. Still a little high for my liking. I'm avoiding flying because I fear getting into an awkward situation where someone next to me seems sick or is taking advantage of being able to remove the mask while eating.

That is absolutely not what happened. You were making shit up on the spot and I was pointing out factual inaccuracies. Remember how you thought the air was never changed out in an airplane?

That is absolutely not what happened. You were making shit up on the spot and I was pointing out factual inaccuracies. Remember how you thought the air was never changed out in an airplane?
I said airplane air was not safe. You guys attacked me saying that it was safe. Now the studies show that plane air is NOT safe. I rest my case.

Back
Top Bottom