• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New study about GMO soy on rodents (Missed breaking news deadline)

BmanMcfly

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Genetically Modified Soy Linked to Sterility, Infant Mortality

"This study was just routine," said Russian biologist Alexey V. Surov, in what could end up as the understatement of this century. Surov and his colleagues set out to discover if Monsanto's genetically modified (GM) soy, grown on 91% of US soybean fields, leads to problems in growth or reproduction. What he discovered may uproot a multi-billion dollar industry.

After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

And if this isn't shocking enough, some in the third generation even had hair growing inside their mouths—a phenomenon rarely seen, but apparently more prevalent among hamsters eating GM soy.

The study, jointly conducted by Surov's Institute of Ecology and Evolution of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the National Association for Gene Security, is expected to be published in three months (July 2010)—so the technical details will have to wait. But Surov sketched out the basic set up for me in an email.

He used Campbell hamsters, with a fast reproduction rate, divided into 4 groups. All were fed a normal diet, but one was without any soy, another had non-GM soy, a third used GM soy, and a fourth contained higher amounts of GM soy. They used 5 pairs of hamsters per group, each of which produced 7-8 litters, totally 140 animals.

Surov told The Voice of Russia,

ShowArticle - Institute for Responsible Technology
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/genetically-modified-soy_b_544575.html
ShowArticle - Institute for Responsible Technology

This is the study itself :
http://www.biosicherheit.de/pdf/aktuell/zentek_studie_2008.pdf

It looks like a situation I had described as a potential flaw of GMO foods... that it wasn't so much an issue of the safety of the food on you as an individual, but that problems could occur generationally, because simply, I doubted that our understanding of genetics had been at the level of monitoring generational changes...

In this study they found that the first generation of mice just had a reduced sex drive.... when they had children however, these children were smaller, and died more often. In the third generation, most children died, the survivors would grow hair in their mouths and they were sterile.

I don't even know what to comment on... other then, does this impact your sense of GMO-foods safety??

I've added some of the images from the study, but they

WARNING this is rodents but you might consider the photos 'graphic'

600.jpg

“(a) The external appearance of the oral cavity. Gingival pouches (GP) with thick bundles of hair growing from their mucous lining are clearly seen. (b) Perforated bone tissue of the teeth of an adult Ph. campbelli. Numerous hollows are seen. A, hair.”

197.jpg

Back
Top Bottom