• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New School Year

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
School starts back up on Monday for me. One more year of high school! Hell yeah! One step closer to fulfilling my dream of being a United States Marine.

However; on the other hand......

I'm bummed. My summer job at the local park just ended yesterday. I've been going to the park's summer camp since I was six, and then working with the kids as a junior leader since I was thirteen. (I'm seventeen now).

I'm pretty sure I'll be back again next summer, but I think that might be my last one for some time, more likely ever. I'm not ready to move on from something which has been a part of my life for more then ten years.

Plus, there's the fact I always enjoy working with the kids. I've known most of them since they were very little, and watching them grow up is pretty cool, though it makes me feel old hahaha. But when I'm working at the park I can just be myself and chill out. I'm good with kids and they (for some reason unbeknownst to me :mrgreen:) look up to me.

I don't have to pretend to care about drugs and alcohol and partying during my summer. It's really nice and refreshing.

So I don't know. :shrug:

I just had my last exam today. Now my short summer can actually begin.

School starts back up on Monday for me. One more year of high school! Hell yeah! One step closer to fulfilling my dream of being a United States Marine.

However; on the other hand......

I'm bummed. My summer job at the local park just ended yesterday. I've been going to the park's summer camp since I was six, and then working with the kids as a junior leader since I was thirteen. (I'm seventeen now).

I'm pretty sure I'll be back again next summer, but I think that might be my last one for some time, more likely ever. I'm not ready to move on from something which has been a part of my life for more then ten years.

Plus, there's the fact I always enjoy working with the kids. I've known most of them since they were very little, and watching them grow up is pretty cool, though it makes me feel old hahaha. But when I'm working at the park I can just be myself and chill out. I'm good with kids and they (for some reason unbeknownst to me :mrgreen:) look up to me.

I don't have to pretend to care about drugs and alcohol and partying during my summer. It's really nice and refreshing.

So I don't know. :shrug:

I have a suggestion for you, most Marine recruitment offices have mentoring programs that you can get involved in well before enlisting. These programs are not like the ROTC these are very low key typically involving sports, physical fitness or community volunteer projects. My son took advantage of this , his dream was also to become a Marine and he did.

These mentoring programs can give you a leg up when you arrive at basic training , you will already have worked on any weaknesses you may have physical or other. My son actually enjoyed basic training because he was so prepared so much so he went on to Recon training. It’s also a great chance to get a feel for what the structure may be like as a Marine, It’s not for everyone that’s for sure.

I have a suggestion for you, most Marine recruitment offices have mentoring programs that you can get involved in well before enlisting. These programs are not like the ROTC these are very low key typically involving sports, physical fitness or community volunteer projects. My son took advantage of this , his dream was also to become a Marine and he did.

These mentoring programs can give you a leg up when you arrive at basic training , you will already have worked on any weaknesses you may have physical or other. My son actually enjoyed basic training because he was so prepared so much so he went on to Recon training. It’s also a great chance to get a feel for what the structure may be like as a Marine, It’s not for everyone that’s for sure.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm already involved in a program like that at the local recruiting office where we do PT every Wednesday and the like.

It's good advice though--- I've been doing it for about six weeks and I can say for sure it's definitely helped me start to get prepared.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm already involved in a program like that at the local recruiting office where we do PT every Wednesday and the like.

It's good advice though--- I've been doing it for about six weeks and I can say for sure it's definitely helped me start to get prepared.

Well, you are going about it the right way, good for you. In my son’s case his recruiter was one of the most dedicated person I have ever met. Typically they would met at the local fitness center three times per week. The recruiter had it arranged that they all could workout free of charge. Each Saturday their was always something going on, flag football, softball game or community service event. He also did some really cool stuff, he would take groups of perspective recruits out for navigation drills, meaning map and compass drills. Once per month we would meet at the gun range for target shooting, my snore was a minor so I always attended those upon his request.

Once I got to know the recruiter I felt ok for my son doing some of the more challenging drills, It just so happened that his best friend was also a good friend of mine, An ex Marine and local law enforcement officer. They would take groups out split into fire teams for weekend survival drills. They did some pretty challenging stuff, winter survival, water and swamp survival and deep woods with obstacles that needed teamwork to achieve.

One thing that this recruiter insisted on was paying it forward, he and others volunteered their time to these young men and he expected them to use any talent or extra time doing the same. My son did have a talent that was utilized often, I started both my sons when they were 7 and 8 years old in BJJ, I figured they are going to fight and roughhouse so they mite as well learn something doing it. My son the Marine was a natural at it and became one of the best in the country even though he was young. So much so he was offered training scholarships in Brazil with the best teams. Anyway’s, they would go around to domestic violence centers to teach basic self-defense and ground fighting skills to woman. They would also do free seminars at the YMCA or at any location appropriate. The recruiter managed to find a talent with each, one young man was a wiz with computers, one was a great marathoner and cross terrain runner. Both of them went out to help the community as pay it forward.

Know this, take full advantage of all the pre enlistment programs have to offer, It’s so much easier to climb a few small hills now than climbing the mountain of pain that can be basic training. You may want to ask your recruiter if he would do some map and compass drills, also ask if you could join him at the local gun range to get pointers. But most important analyze your particular talent or spare time and ask how you can pay it forward.

BTW: PT every morning, no excuses.

Ouch. That's rough.

Well it means I get to graduate with work experience and the work-terms are much better paid than any job I could really get on my own during the summer.

Back
Top Bottom