• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Rule regarding deaths of public figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyphlin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
With the recognition that the passing of political leaders (and other figures) can be a tumultuous time stirring up a variety of feelings, from sorrow to elation, the Mod Team has strove to find a solution that will allow all facets of discussion concerning a persons death be done in a civil matter.

Today we are introducing a new Thread Tag in the *Breaking News* section, the “R.I.P.” tag. Posts marked as “R.I.P.” should be treated with the same general respect and etiquette one would show at a funeral. It is a thread for members to express their grief or condolences and to speak about the dead or the family of the dead in a respectful way, free of mud slinging.

In the case of R.I.P. threads the rules concerning duplicate posts will be altered. The same story that is used in a R.I.P thread may be used to create a standard thread about the matter as well (and vise versa). Conversation in this thread will run per the normal rules of Debate Politics. Personal attacks about individuals speaking ill of the dead, as per the standard rules, will not be allowed. The normal thread can range from talks of the good the deceased has done to how the world is a better place without them here. As long as the discussion remains within the rules and on topic it is fair game.

With the recognition that the passing of political leaders (and other figures) can be a tumultuous time stirring up a variety of feelings, from sorrow to elation, the Mod Team has strove to find a solution that will allow all facets of discussion concerning a persons death be done in a civil matter.

Today we are introducing a new Thread Tag in the *Breaking News* section, the “R.I.P.” tag. Posts marked as “R.I.P.” should be treated with the same general respect and etiquette one would show at a funeral. It is a thread for members to express their grief or condolences and to speak about the dead or the family of the dead in a respectful way, free of mud slinging.

In the case of R.I.P. threads the rules concerning duplicate posts will be altered. The same story that is used in a R.I.P thread may be used to create a standard thread about the matter as well (and vise versa). Conversation in this thread will run per the normal rules of Debate Politics. Personal attacks about individuals speaking ill of the dead, as per the standard rules, will not be allowed. The normal thread can range from talks of the good the deceased has done to how the world is a better place without them here. As long as the discussion remains within the rules and on topic it is fair game.

That, my friend, is what is called a compromise, and an excellent one too. I'm down with it. :)

. . . should be treated with the same general respect and etiquette one would show at a funeral.
One will assume that the rule refers to the way people should behave at funerals, not the way people often do, especially if alcohol is involved . . .oh, the stories that come to mind!

(Public service information: modern mortuary practices do not allow for the deceased to imbibe, try as you may. Also, mistresses and widows should not both attend the wake without certain understandings being in place in advance.)

:mrgreen:

Myself, I'll take it a step further. If a thread is marked R.I.P., I'll only post positive comments or remain silent.

One assumes that a thread not so marked may host comments that otherwise meet the forum rules, yes?

IMO (as the person who started the Kennedy thread, incidentally), that makes absolutely no sense, but if it's regarded as a compromise, so be it. :shrug:

Love it. It's a perfect balance and is more than adequate as a compromise to the situation.

You guys did a good job.

Awesome. I can't wait for someone to die so we can use the new board.

Just what the world needs, more politically correct BS...

Why limit it to dead public figures? Why not have a special area for those who just want to be able to post the nice things about public figures without having to worry about all of those nasty, evil people who want to say mean things about them?

Seems like a silly rule to me, but if the forum wants it (do they?) then that's that.

The general discontentment over this rule only reinforces my belief that nothing is sacred anymore and that people only care about venting their own personal beliefs and frustrations, not exercising higher things like self-restraint and respect. Partisan-charged opinions and bad feelings are cheap and easy to come by, emotional reservation and good manners, not so much.

Last edited:
The general discontentment over this rule only reinforces my belief that nothing is sacred anymore and that people only care about venting their own personal beliefs and frustrations, not exercising higher things like self-restraint and respect. Partisan-charged opinions and bad feelings are cheap and easy to come by, emotional reservation and good manners, not so much.

Respect is earned...it should never be assumed to be deserved.

This is a discussion and debate forum, if you don't want people to counter what you want to say, this is probably not a good place to post.

Why should I show any respect for someone who got away with drunkenly killing someone? Why should I show any respect towards someone who was such a nutjob that he had his appearance surgically altered so that he looked like he was of a different race?

It comes down to the fact that if I had no respect for someone when they were alive, I'm not going to start showing respect for them just because they died.

Also, nothing should be sacred. It should not be forbidden to talk about anything.

Who is defined as a public figure, can well known mass murderers, terrorist leaders, rapist and dictators be considered "public figures" and be immune from any criticisms and good riddance just because someone placed a “R.I.P.” tag on the thread? If Charles Manson died why should we hold our tongues just because there is a “R.I.P.” tag? If Osama Bin Laden, some member of Hamas, some member of Hezbolla, Charles Manson, John Evander Couey or some other scum of the earth died and someone made a thread about about that individual no one one would be saying "Oh you shouldn't say bad things about someone who just died" except for terrorist sympathizers and scumbag sympathizers. This oh we don't like it when you talk bad about people we liked who died and want such talk banned buts its okay for us to say **** about someone we don't like who died is hypocritical nonsense.

So if someone made a thread that John Evander Couy(Jessica Lunsford's murderer,torturer and rapist), Fred Phelps(the guy that has the God hates fags at the funerals of fallen solders) we should hold our tongue?

Also, nothing should be sacred. It should not be forbidden to talk about anything.

The internet is a big place, maybe you can find a forum with no rules.

OK. this part leaves a "Wide Gap", to choose from.

The normal thread can range from talks of the good the deceased has done to how the world is a better place without them here.

I'm in a Minefield.:) By your leave. As you wish.

Last edited:

As a Liberal,,,wouldn't your Avatar be better if you disarmed yourself?:lol:

"Go with the Flow".:2funny:

Respect is earned...it should never be assumed to be deserved.

Respect is a practice. Whether or not it is deserved is an opinion, an opinion which may or may not matter depending on the medium of communication. I guess on this forum they will insist on the practice on R.I.P. threads.

This is a discussion and debate forum, if you don't want people to counter what you want to say, this is probably not a good place to post.

'Respectfulness' is hardly a synonym for agreement.

Why should I show any respect for someone who got away with drunkenly killing someone? Why should I show any respect towards someone who was such a nutjob that he had his appearance surgically altered so that he looked like he was of a different race?

The first one for any number of reasons. The second one because an attitude of such heavy condemnation over a matter in which did not concern or harm you or anybody else is both weird and probably more deserving of disrespect than the person who changed their skin color. Also, Michael Jackson had a documented pigmentation disease and had the bleach his skin to stop it from looking blotchy, which people were commenting on. Everybody who thinks otherwise is just being perverse.

It comes down to the fact that if I had no respect for someone when they were alive, I'm not going to start showing respect for them just because they died.

Ergo, nothing is sacred anymore. Just as I said. The passing of a life catches your eye, even if it was your arch-enemy who you hated more than anybody, it should be a time for contemplative and self-reflective thought and speech more than resentment, which there was an abundance of when you were both alive. Death is supposed to mean something other than life.

Subject is not in dispute so much as means.

So if someone made a thread that John Evander Couy(Jessica Lunsford's murderer,torturer and rapist), Fred Phelps(the guy that has the God hates fags at the funerals of fallen solders) we should hold our tongue?

Respectfulness is not a synonym for approval. Try:

I can't say I approved of x and his policies and/or actions, nor am I hopeful of his prospects in the hereafter and/or his legacy on earth, but for now I'll let that pass under the bridge. I need to think about what can be learned from his examples, good and/or bad, anyway. Maybe I'll learn something useful.

Or any number of variations on the theme.

Last edited:
Just what the world needs, more politically correct BS...

Why limit it to dead public figures? Why not have a special area for those who just want to be able to post the nice things about public figures without having to worry about all of those nasty, evil people who want to say mean things about them?
Are you a member of Westboro? :mrgreen:

I don't like this rule. I want to be able to call a spade a spade, whether living, dying, or dead.

I don't like this rule. I want to be able to call a spade a spade, whether living, dying, or dead.

You obviously still can, just create a non-RIP thread and spew at will. Just RIP posts are off-limits for spade-calling.

As a Liberal,,,wouldn't your Avatar be better if you disarmed yourself?:lol:

"Go with the Flow".:2funny:

Moderator's Warning:
Cease the personal attacks, or you will find yourself with infraction points.

People are missing the point. RIP threads are specific threads to honor the deceased. This in no way prevent folks from starting or participating in other threads that do not honor the deceased. If you do not like the concept of the RIP thread...don't participate in it. It's that simple.

Funny, since Fungus has been posting here far longer than you. New comers shouldn't make such silly suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom