• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New post filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Hello.

I would like to suggest a filter applied to "new posts" for The Loft for those of us who do not donate and cannot respond to threads. I would rather not see topics that I do not have posting privileges to.

Thanks.

Wow. Rude.

I still want to see new posts, just not the ones I can't post to.
You are right, it was rude. My apologies. I was attempting to offer a solution to your concerns.

Here is another solution:
Click the little carrot to hide/minimize the DP extras area from the homepage.
hide_forum.jpg

We really do appreciate feedback. Thank you. It is nice to hear what folks think of our newest features. Viewing personal feedback from others, many are really enjoying what has been created up there. So far, it has proven to be a nice and welcome area!

My point is that constructive feedback/ideas/solutions will generate a more refined response. I am sorry that you are forced to see a new feature we are very proud of. I am unsure how else I can help.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Wow. Rude.

I still want to see new posts, just not the ones I can't post to.

How was that rude?

Tell you what, if you want rude, just ask me how you can not see posts you can't participate in. :pimpdaddy:

Orion,

You can not post there because you choose to not donate, which is absolutely fine. Others do not post in the abortion forum because they do not wish to. Others avoid the middle east forum due to having no desire to post there. Those forums still show up in a search of new posts.

The basement forums rules allows for thread titles that do not adhere to the normal rules with regards to the main forums. Word censoring is not enforced there. Baiting and flaming thread titles are allowed there. Extremely lewd and offensive titles are allowed there. As such, it can be disabled from the new posts menu. Note, people may still very well want to post in the basement and may actively post in the basement while still disabling it. The desire not to post there in and of itself is not the reason that the basement is given an option to be removed from the "new posts" section.

We understand you have made a personal choice not to donate, and that is your choice. However, currently we believe The Loft to be a positive addition to the site and see no more reason why it should be able to be removed from the "new post" section anymore than the abortion, midddle east, or off topic forums are. While you may not be able to post in the forum, the ability to still read it is something a "use" of the forum, a use based on feedback that is viewed as a positive thing. If you don't wish to view the threads that are placed there I would suggest that you treat it the same way you would treat the majority of the rest of the forum with regards to such....don't click on them.

I don't know why everyone is getting so defensive. I wasn't trying to be offensive in my OP. The Loft seems like a nice place and I was part of some of the original discussions to make a section like that so it's nice to see what came to fruition. I honestly just only want to see threads that I can post to, that's all.

If it can't be done then just say so.

It's funny, If I were to make a demand/request of the staff for some change in the forum, I would have at least ponied up a fiver for thier troubles... Then again if I did that, I'd be able to post there. :shrug:

I don't know why everyone is getting so defensive. I wasn't trying to be offensive in my OP. The Loft seems like a nice place and I was part of some of the original discussions to make a section like that so it's nice to see what came to fruition. I honestly just only want to see threads that I can post to, that's all.

I am just curious, Orion. What makes The Loft seem like a nice place? I don't understand. It's just another forum.

There is now a notification statement at the top of The Loft forum - feel free to use it as a reminder that the forum has unique posting requirements.

What makes The Loft seem like a nice place?
Cause it is amaayzing!
(Said in "Jon Stewart" style).

Last edited:
There is now a notification statement at the top of The Loft forum - feel free to use it as a reminder that the forum has unique posting requirements.

That actually helps, thanks.

Rev said:
It's funny, If I were to make a demand/request of the staff for some change in the forum, I would have at least ponied up a fiver for thier troubles... Then again if I did that, I'd be able to post there.

If you recall, I started a thread a while back about a challenge for conservatives. Someone could donate in my honour if they wanted to see me be a social conservative for a whole month. No one took me up on that offer. More importantly, I created the challenge because I don't have any money right now to donate in the first place.

That actually helps, thanks.

If you recall, I started a thread a while back about a challenge for conservatives. Someone could donate in my honour if they wanted to see me be a social conservative for a whole month. No one took me up on that offer. More importantly, I created the challenge because I don't have any money right now to donate in the first place.

I've donated more than that anonymously to other posters, just cause I could, so I don't understand your point. furthermore you made it clear that lack of funds was not your reason for not donating so I am not sure the claim of poverty really is something I take at face value. :shrug:

I've donated more than that anonymously to other posters, just cause I could, so I don't understand your point. furthermore you made it clear that lack of funds was not your reason for not donating so I am not sure the claim of poverty really is something I take at face value. :shrug:

I am not going to disrupt another thread with petty arguments. If you have something personal to say then please PM me, thanks.

That was a very nice thing to do. We all donate in different ways. That was pretty creative. I'd like to see you as a conservative for a month. Heck, we might even convert you. ;-)

I'm glad you shared that you don't have any money right now. That sounds so much better than what you previously posted on another thread. (I'm sorry you don't have any money right now, though. That sucks.)

I am not going to disrupt another thread with petty arguments. If you have something personal to say then please PM me, thanks.

I think I just said it, actually. You claimed another reason for not donating and you chose the word "don't" instead of "can't" in your opening post so this new claim of poverty I simply find suspect. That said find the hubris of demanding the owner submit to your requests when you made it clear you choose not to donate due to differences you have with the the owner, the staff and the forum rather bold to say the least.

Last edited:
I think I just said it, actually. You claimed another reason for not donating and you chose the word "don't" instead of "can't" in your opening post so this new claim of poverty I simply find suspect. That said find the hubris of demanding the owner submit to your requests when you made it clear you choose not to donate due to differences you have with the the owner, the staff and the forum rather bold to say the least.

See last.

I will not entertain your inability to control yourself. PM me if you wish to discuss this further, otherwise I will not be responding.

No need Orion, you made yourself abundantly clear why you "don't" donate. :shrug:

You know what, some posts may very well have read more into what you were saying Orion. In part, that is wrong. In part, that's a sad fact of life, especially on the internet. How you act, what you do, things you state, color peoples image of you and what you believe and say. This is doubly so on the internet where there is no tone clearly evident, there is no body language, and so often with so many people...including yourself...often times words can be saying far more than what they say on the surface. Middleground posting what you posted likely would've got a slightly less "defensive" no; at the same time, that's because Middleground hadn't made a public display refusing to donate, encouraged others to follow suit, or been crusading against the staff of the forum so likely her words aren't going to be looked at through the same general scope. Perhaps some may find it wrong, more likely many others find it a simple fact of life that our actions do and will always affect how we're viewed. However, what is unquestionable is actions have consequences and reputations are part and parcel with how people respond to you.

You're request made by an average poster that's never said anything at all ever either way about posting would likely be looked at and in the end the same conclusion would be reached as the issue was looked at and thought of in advance and irregardless of you making it. The response likely would've been different however because it wouldn't be perceived as someone who made a public display of their refusal to donate turning around and seemingly complaining that their decision mixed with improvements to the site has now inconvenienced them a slight bit and they'd like it to be fixed to rid themselves of such an annoyance. This may not have been your intent in your post, but given the tone of your words mixed with your recent actions it is the perception it gave.

So no, the defensiveness likely was not needed and likely did give the wrong impression. I understand vauge's response, given the time put into that forum mixed with your previous statements combined with this one, but I also realized a more specific answer would be useful which is why I posted my previous one which I hope summed up the why for you in a reasonable enough manner. In regards to dragging this thread out, I thank you for trying to step out from such an altercation and I'd ask that everyone cease trying to turn this into a "Donate or don't donate" thread with arguments of the such, there's really no need.

What we triple the font size of the posts from the loft section?

You know what, some posts may very well have read more into what you were saying Orion. In part, that is wrong. In part, that's a sad fact of life, especially on the internet. How you act, what you do, things you state, color peoples image of you and what you believe and say. This is doubly so on the internet where there is no tone clearly evident, there is no body language, and so often with so many people...including yourself...often times words can be saying far more than what they say on the surface. Middleground posting what you posted likely would've got a slightly less "defensive" no; at the same time, that's because Middleground hadn't made a public display refusing to donate, encouraged others to follow suit, or been crusading against the staff of the forum so likely her words aren't going to be looked at through the same general scope. Perhaps some may find it wrong, more likely many others find it a simple fact of life that our actions do and will always affect how we're viewed. However, what is unquestionable is actions have consequences and reputations are part and parcel with how people respond to you.

You're request made by an average poster that's never said anything at all ever either way about posting would likely be looked at and in the end the same conclusion would be reached as the issue was looked at and thought of in advance and irregardless of you making it. The response likely would've been different however because it wouldn't be perceived as someone who made a public display of their refusal to donate turning around and seemingly complaining that their decision mixed with improvements to the site has now inconvenienced them a slight bit and they'd like it to be fixed to rid themselves of such an annoyance. This may not have been your intent in your post, but given the tone of your words mixed with your recent actions it is the perception it gave.

So no, the defensiveness likely was not needed and likely did give the wrong impression. I understand vauge's response, given the time put into that forum mixed with your previous statements combined with this one, but I also realized a more specific answer would be useful which is why I posted my previous one which I hope summed up the why for you in a reasonable enough manner. In regards to dragging this thread out, I thank you for trying to step out from such an altercation and I'd ask that everyone cease trying to turn this into a "Donate or don't donate" thread with arguments of the such, there's really no need.

I understand where the defensiveness came from, which was why I clarified my intention in my follow up post. The personal attacks on me thereafter were unwarranted. My status as a donor at this site and the reasoning behind it are not relevant to knowing whether or not there is same way to filter posts. I didn't ask to be piled on, but I guess I should expect it from now on since some people just can't let it go.

That's all I have left to say. I encourage ppl to PM me who want to continue talking about it. My suggestion/complaint was resolved by vauge. Thank you.

I am just curious, Orion. What makes The Loft seem like a nice place? I don't understand. It's just another forum.

it's nice because he can't post there. :lamo

Moderator's Warning:
Enough, the threads run its course and the continuation is uncalled. Closing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom