• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New Pope

flip2 said:
It's God's Word that doesn't change.

Awwww, I thought we were gonna get a load of stuff about Papal infallablility. I'm sooooooo disapointed!

flip2 said:
It's God's Word that doesn't change.

Right, that's how come the word "Homosexual" suddenly appeared in biblical translations BEFORE it ever even existed!

Yeah, and if you believe that one....

JustineCredible said:
Right, that's how come the word "Homosexual" suddenly appeared in biblical translations BEFORE it ever even existed!

Yeah, and if you believe that one....

Book of LEviticus, Old Testament.

flip2 said:
Book of LEviticus, Old Testament.

Ok, news flash, if you claim to be Catholic, which is a Christian faith, you would have known that the New Covenant actually did away with Mosaic/Levitical Law.
Leviticus also has laws about a lot of things we now see as purposterous.

flip2 said:
What exactly is proposterous? And I hold contrary opinion to your claims.

Let's look at Leviticus, shall we?

http://www.whosoever.org/bible/index.html

Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13

Leviticus 18:22 states: "Thou shall not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination." The term abomination (to'ebah) is a religious term, usually reserved for use against idolatry; it does not mean a moral evil. The verse seems to refer to temple prostitution, which was a common practice in the rest of the Middle East at that time. Qadesh referred to male religious prostitutes. (See the discussion of Deuteronomy)

Leviticus 20:13 states: "If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they should surely be put to death....". The passage is surrounded by prohibitions against incest, bestiality, adultery and intercourse during a woman's period. But this verse is the only one in the series which uses the religious term abomination; it seems also to be directed against temple prostitution.

These passages are part of the Jewish Holiness Code which also:

• permits polygamy
  • prohibits sexual intercourse when a woman has her period,
  • bans tattoos
  • prohibits eating rare meat
  • bans wearing clothes that are made from a blend of textiles
  • prohibits cross-breeding livestock
  • bans sowing a field with mixed seed
  • prohibits eating pigs, rabbits, or some forms of seafood
  • requires Saturday to be reserved as the Sabbath

Churches have abandoned the Holiness Code; it is no longer binding on modern-day Christians. They can wear tattoos, eat shrimp, wear polyester-cotton blends and engage in temple prostitution without violating this particular section of the Bible. Although this code is obsolete for Christians, many clergy still focus on those passages which deal with homosexuality.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is likely that the prohibition thou shall not lie with a male as with a woman came about for one of the following reasons:

Only sexual acts which could lead to procreation were valued as the tribes needed to grow in numbers in order to survive.
Male homosexual sex may have been connected in the Hebrew mind with idolatry. Notice that Lev. 18:2 deals with idolatry. In fact many of the prohibitions in the Holiness Code were probably connected with idolatrous practices, see 19:26-29.

Women were second class citizens in the Hebrew culture and were generally treated as property. If a man was penetrated in sexual intercourse he was being treated like a woman and so was degraded in the Hebrew mind. The offense was not that this was a homosexual act, the offense was that a MAN was treated like a WOMAN. If this line of thinking is correct it would serve to explain why there is no prohibition against female homosexual acts in the Old Testament. Women could not be degraded by such an act as they were already not held in high esteem. there is a theory that the Hebrew people believed in a perfect order of creation and anything that violated that order was considered unclean or an abomination. A probable example would be that fish were considered the perfect sea animal, hence anything in the sea that did not have scales and fins was unclean. (Lev. 11:9-10) Cattle were the perfect cud chewing animal, hence anything that chewed cud, but didn't have hooves was unclean. (Lev. 11:6). If this theory is correct then the prohibition against male sex acts would be violating the role of the perfect ideal human: man. It would seem to mix the sex role of the imperfect woman with the ideal role of the man.

Even if the reader disagrees with the theories stated above they should take note that these verses are a part of the Hebrew scriptures often called the 'Holiness Code'. This 'code' is no longer followed by the Christian church.

You know, if you don't like what the Catholic Church stands for, nobody is forcing you to be Catholic. And if you are not Catholic, why do you care what the new Pope feels about homosexuals? It really irritates me how people go on and on about how the Church needs to become more liberal. The Church is the Church, it should not have to bend to the will of popular culture.

JustineCredible said:
Yuppers and a former member of the Hitler youth, although he swears he didn't like it one bit.
He was also the leader of the group that was formerly known as "The Spanish Inquisition."

{Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!}

I'm no fan of the churches dogma, but there's an awful lot of evidence to back up his claim that he was not a willing participant in the Hitler youth. I also believe he's done a lot to mend ties with the Jewish community.

Naughty Nurse said:
I'm yours for the taking. :3oops:

You're hopeless Naughty, I guess you could always hold out and hope I have some sort of aneurysm and suddenly enjoy hot man on man sex. Course after my life altering stroke the "hot" may only be lukewarm and listless.

Fu_chick said:
You know, if you don't like what the Catholic Church stands for, nobody is forcing you to be Catholic. And if you are not Catholic, why do you care what the new Pope feels about homosexuals? It really irritates me how people go on and on about how the Church needs to become more liberal. The Church is the Church, it should not have to bend to the will of popular culture.

Oh but it does when it benefits them!

Come on, let's not play games here. The Church does what will benefit them. They change when it's good for them. We've seen this with the excommunication and MUCH MUCH MUCH later re-communication of Galileo!

flip2 said:
How is that bending to popular culture?

It was popular culture which insisted upon the church recognizing that indeed the world is ROUND! The church realized that to continue their having ex-communicated Galileo only worked against their favor.

JustineCredible said:
Ah, but which would your rather, to be hopeful or cute? :mrgreen:

I am ever hopeful, and I am saving myself for Pacridge.

Unless, of course, somebody else comes along! :twisted:

Naughty Nurse said:
Hmmmm, are you offering yourself there, flip?

OMG OMG OMG...I think flip's gonna get on his knees..anytime now...hope those shoes don't have any doggie-do on them....EEEEWWWW

Nonsense. You guys are disgusting.

I think Pope Benedict XVI, as leader of the Catholic faith and head of state of the Holy See, has an obligation to continue the teachings of Christ. What's new about that?

flip2 said:
Nonsense. You guys are disgusting.

I think Pope Benedict XVI, as leader of the Catholic faith and head of state of the Holy See, has an obligation to continue the teachings of Christ. What's new about that?

But could he teach you what I could?

Naughty Nurse said:
But could he teach you what I could?

OMG...flip is actually crying FOWL! He starts the ribbing all in good natured fun, but then cries fowl when he can't keep up!

Give me a break! :roll:

*AHEM*

And I think the Pope will inspire more young people to remain true to their faith, but encourage dialogue with those whose views are adamantly different from their own.

flip2 said:
*AHEM*

And I think the Pope will inspire more young people to remain true to their faith, but encourage dialogue with those whose views are adamantly different from their own.

Keep up the sweet talk, boy, and I'll show tou what I know ....

Back
Top Bottom