• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New poll shows Vice President Kamala Harris unpopular with California voters

dcsports

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

The survey found that Harris, who previously served as a U.S. senator and California attorney general, has just a 35% approval rate from voters, while 45% disapprove of the job that she is doing and another 20% have no opinion.

Harris’ boss, President Joe Biden, fared somewhat better with voters, with 50% registering their approval of the president’s job and 46% registering their disapproval. Two months ago, Biden had a 47% approval rate and a 48% disapproval.

Wow! She's a full 15% below her boss. 10% more disapprove than approve... with 20% no comment. And she's from California!

She hasn't polled well from the very beginning from what I remember. It's not hard to see why since she hasn't really been a high profile figure of backed Biden in any way that stands out for the average voter. How much of that is by design of the administration versus her not being comfortable in her role I don't know.

She hasn't polled well from the very beginning from what I remember. It's not hard to see why since she hasn't really been a high profile figure of backed Biden in any way that stands out for the average voter. How much of that is by design of the administration versus her not being comfortable in her role I don't know.
True - Harris hasn't polled well nationally. During the 2020 presidential primary, she lost support the more she campaigned (which in general made her an odd choice). However, she was highly promoted early in Biden's presidency - joined to his hip in virtually every public appearance. She's also had some high profile assignments, where she performed poorly (the border, France, working with the president on Afghanistan. They REALLY wanted to boost her profile as a potential future presidential candidate. She hasn't suffered from a lack of opportunity.

The thing is... these aren't average voters. It's California, her home state, where she was AG and Senator. One of the most left wing states in the country. She should be performing either with the president, or better, given the home state advantage. And it's not just that they're neutral (not knowing what she's done). She's upside down.

Wow! She's a full 15% below her boss. 10% more disapprove than approve... with 20% no comment. And she's from California!

Column: Where’s the love? Here’s why Kamala Harris’ California poll numbers stink​

Why the hell he chose her will forever be a mystery to me. Sorta like the McCain/Palin thing.
Good question. Both were horrible choices, for different reasons. But I think the reason they were made was that the primary candidate - a boring, lackluster, old, white, man, felt he HAD to add someone to diversify the ticket and add some interest. Biden in particular I think felt he had to add a black person to the ticket to get the support of that community (and he was probably right), and a female to reinforce the narrative that 'Trump hates women and I don't". He also needed to try to make the far left wing of his party ('progressives') happy. That didn't leave a lot of options.

True - Harris hasn't polled well nationally. During the 2020 presidential primary, she lost support the more she campaigned (which in general made her an odd choice). However, she was highly promoted early in Biden's presidency - joined to his hip in virtually every public appearance. She's also had some high profile assignments, where she performed poorly (the border, France, working with the president on Afghanistan. They REALLY wanted to boost her profile as a potential future presidential candidate. She hasn't suffered from a lack of opportunity.

The thing is... these aren't average voters. It's California, her home state, where she was AG and Senator. One of the most left wing states in the country. She should be performing either with the president, or better, given the home state advantage. And it's not just that they're neutral (not knowing what she's done). She's upside down.
Sure, I just think it goes a bit deeper than just where a person is from which tends to amplify support versus defining it. She wasn't my first pick for VP at all, and mainly because her campaign didn't go very well either. I do agree that she hasn't really stood out in the opportunities she's had.

Good question. Both were horrible choices, for different reasons. But I think the reason they were made was that the primary candidate - a boring, lackluster, old, white, man, felt he HAD to add someone to diversify the ticket and add some interest. Biden in particular I think felt he had to add a black person to the ticket to get the support of that community (and he was probably right), and a female to reinforce the narrative that 'Trump hates women and I don't". He also needed to try to make the far left wing of his party ('progressives') happy. That didn't leave a lot of options.
I think you are dead wrong on that. He had lots of choices among progressive Black women. In no particular order.....Val Demmings, Stacy Abrahms, Keisha Lance Bottoms... all who were very high profile and popular leading up to the election.

I don’t know about California, but Harris has never been popular with the voters nationwide. She left the presidential race before the primaries were officially started. Even Democrats didn’t like her much. Harris today is at 37.7% favorable, 52.1% unfavorable. You can compare here to other political leaders here.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/other/FavorabilityRatingsPoliticalLeaders.html

I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out why Biden choose her to be his VP. Of all the possibilities, she was probably the least popular and could provide the least help to the Biden team.

I’m still scratching my head trying to figure out why Biden choose her to be his VP. Of all the possibilities, she was probably the least popular and could provide the least help to the Biden team.
Biden said something when he announced her as VP that troubled me then and still does. He said that his son Beau trusted her and that they were very close friends. I know Joe Biden had a very strong bond with his son and an overwhelming sense of loss with his death. It just won't leave my mind that he chose her as some sort of homage to Beau......very bad reason.

Why the hell he chose her will forever be a mystery to me. Sorta like the McCain/Palin thing.
I’ll give you a hint why he chose her.

And it had nothing to do with her lack of qualifications. 😳

Biden said something when he announced her as VP that troubled me then and still does. He said that his son Beau trusted her and that they were very close friends. I know Joe Biden had a very strong bond with his son and an overwhelming sense of loss with his death. It just won't leave my mind that he chose her as some sort of homage to Beau......very bad reason.
We know the abusive wife Jill didn’t think to highly of the pic.

Im beginning to think Joe was pretty smart when he selected Harris. At some point when even his own party was ready to get rid of him they would have to look at his successor and think...hold on...lets not be too hasty.........

I think you are dead wrong on that. He had lots of choices among progressive Black women. In no particular order.....Val Demmings, Stacy Abrahms, Keisha Lance Bottoms... all who were very high profile and popular leading up to the election.
For VP ?? lol. Not one of those is remotely qualified. Certainly none with a national presence that would have helped Biden.

For VP ?? lol. Not one of those is remotely qualified. Certainly none with a national presence that would have helped Biden.
If you say so....

He picked her because he promised to select a minority woman and when he decided to go black the two options with "youth" and name recognition were Kamala Harris and Stacey Abrams. Abrams was reportedly never in the running, for obvious reasons. He shouldn't have cornered himself to the point where he felt obliged to pick a running mate who told the world he's racist. And, he shouldn't have been afraid to pick someone with less name recognition to select someone who is likable, has a decent work ethic, and knows what she's talking about.

Im beginning to think Joe was pretty smart when he selected Harris. At some point when even his own party was ready to get rid of him they would have to look at his successor and think...hold on...lets not be too hasty.........
And maybe that's it. She's there purely to keep his own party from trying to scoot him out in 2024.

He picked her because he promised to select a minority woman and when he decided to go black the two options with "youth" and name recognition were Kamala Harris and Stacey Abrams. Abrams was reportedly never in the running, for obvious reasons. He shouldn't have cornered himself to the point where he felt obliged to pick a running mate who told the world he's racist. And, he shouldn't have been afraid to pick someone with less name recognition to select someone who is likable, has a decent work ethic, and knows what she's talking about.
Well, technically he could have also chosen Tulsi Gabbard, but that would have caused the more liberal branch to have seizures.

I liked Tulsi, but she's not black. Race and genitalia were the paramount qualifications.
You said "minority" - Gabbard is Samoan. But I agree that he had to pick a black person to get elected, or that community would have just stayed at home. Harris was just a horrible choice, but she also checked a lot of boxes.

I think he could have gone with a male, but it also would have cost him. Not a lot of good choices there either. Corey "I am Sparticus" Booker would have also been a liability. Devall Patrick was a possibility, but had his own scandals. The Democrat Bench just doesn't have a lot of depth.

If True, I agree.

I liked Tulsi, but she's not black. Race and genitalia were the paramount qualifications.
Tulsi wasn't Extreme Liberal for the DNC, so they decided to prop up Biden after Bernie's support collapsed when he doubled down on his Castro mancrush.

Tulsi wasn't Extreme Liberal for the DNC, so they decided to prop up Biden after Bernie's support collapsed when he doubled down on his Castro mancrush.
Tulsi turned out to be a fraud. I was supportive of her, but soured on her due to her own actions.

Back
Top Bottom