• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Poll Shows Bernie Sanders Jump Into The Lead For 2020 Democratic Primary

Surrealistik

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Nathan Francis said:
Bernie Sanders is back in the lead of the Democratic primary pack, a new poll shows.

A national poll conducted by Reuters/Ipsos found that the Vermont Senator has the support of 19 percent of voters, tying former Vice President Joe Biden for the lead and 6 percentage points ahead of Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who had surpassed Sanders in a number of other recent national polls.

The poll could be even more important for Sanders given the uncertainty that followed his recent heart attack. Sanders had to take several days off the campaign trail in the wake of the health scare, and some pundits expressed worry that the incident could cause worry for voters.

The Hill panel breakdown:

Hilariously (albeit unsurprisingly), Reuters buried the lead as per its headline here to highlight Bloomberg: Reuters/Ipsos poll: 3% support Bloomberg for Democratic nomination - Reuters

As a Bernie supporter this is great news, but of course this one poll is in no way definitive; I'll be more confident once I start seeing aggregates confirm this Ipsos sample. However, it does further confirm ongoing trends featuring the decline of Biden and more recently Warren, as well as Bernie Sander's recent surge upward.

Last edited:

Hilariously (albeit unsurprisingly), Reuters buried the lead as per its headline here to highlight Bloomberg: Reuters/Ipsos poll: 3% support Bloomberg for Democratic nomination - Reuters

As a Bernie supporter this is great news, but of course this is in no way definitive; I'll be more confident once I start seeing aggregates and other polls confirming this Ipsos sample. However, it does further confirm ongoing trends featuring the decline of Biden and more recently Warren, as well as Bernie Sander's recent surge upward.

It will be fun to watch the MSM ignore this poll

If Bernie gets the nomination then Trump's reelection will be a cake walk.

As a Bernie supporter this is great news, but of course this one poll is in no way definitive; I'll be more confident once I start seeing aggregates confirm this Ipsos sample. However, it does further confirm ongoing trends featuring the decline of Biden and more recently Warren, as well as Bernie Sander's recent surge upward.

So, you want Trump to get handed another 4 years?

You're not doing anyone any favors.

So, you want Trump to get handed another 4 years?

You're not doing anyone any favors.

Since Biden seemed to demonstrate serious trouble with his cognition and memory (which to be honest, has only appeared to worsen with time), I definitely find Sanders to be the most electable. That having been said, if he can't win, I don't think anyone in the Dem field can.

I don't believe it & Bernie's kinda lost his marbles & he can't beat Trump, but this still makes me happy.

:)

Since Biden seemed to demonstrate serious trouble with his cognition and memory (which to be honest, has only appeared to worsen with time), I definitely find Sanders to be the most electable. That having been said, if he can't win, I don't think anyone in the Dem field can.

I don't think Trump is beatable, but a Tulsi/Bernie ticket would be their best bet.

th

If you'd prefer Trump face off against Sanders rather than the guy who seems like he may possibly have dementia and has done nothing but decay since he announced, or a consistently less electable Warren (who in my view has more flawed ideas on how to implement similar plans where differences exist), I'd consider that a wholesale abandonment of political instinct.

Could be fallout from Warren's missteps, but you really need to wait for another poll or two to see if this is just measurement error.

Could be fallout from Warren's missteps, but you really need to wait for another poll or two to see if this is just measurement error.

I did state that in the OP it needs confirmation with additional polling, but also as stated, it further confirms what we've already been seeing recently: Biden and Warren's fall and Sander's rise. The margin of error was +/- 3%.

I did state that in the OP it needs confirmation with additional polling
Then we agree.

but also as stated, it further confirms what we've already been seeing recently: Biden and Warren's fall and Sander's rise. The margin of error was +/- 3%.
Yes, I shouldn't have said "measurement error" I was thinking random error. There is a 1 in 20 chance that this is just an outlier, on top of the +/- 3% measurement error.

Head to head polls this early are meaningless. In Bernie's case, I think this is especially true. He is a nice guy, and a principled man - but much of his platform is not realistic. I think most people recognize this, and would vote accordingly in a general election.

But if that's the case, why are the core elements of his platform so consistently popular? Despite being under constant attack, including from people within the Democratic Party, they continue to feature majoritarian support.

But if that's the case, why are the core elements of his platform so consistently popular? Despite being under constant attack, including from people within the Democratic Party, they continue to feature majoritarian support.

I wouldn't say 'majority' support so much as very vocal support.

Many of his ideas are laudable. It would be wonderful to have 'free' college and healthcare for all. Wonderful in concept. However, most people also realize that someone (the taxpayer) has to pay for these freebies. They aren't realistic.

Democrats haven't pushed this, but you can bet in that Republicans would broadcast the price tags in the general.

I wouldn't say 'majority' support so much as very vocal support.

Many of his ideas are laudable. It would be wonderful to have 'free' college and healthcare for all. Wonderful in concept. However, most people also realize that someone (the taxpayer) has to pay for these freebies. They aren't realistic.

Democrats haven't pushed this, but you can bet in that Republicans would broadcast the price tags in the general.

The polling is very clear on this and not a matter of opinion; yes, his core ideas have consistent, recurring majority support.

And yes, they are absolutely realistic per the plans that exist and have been put out, though political will is obviously required to raise the revenues. Moreover, even conservative interpretations of things like MFA feature ultimate and considerable net savings vis a vis the status quo; the primary difference, besides considerable savings per every projection, including partisan ones opposed to it, is that cost is transferred from the private to the public sector.

I supported Sanders in 2016. This time around, I want Carrot Caligula out. That's my top issue. Nominate the candidate with the best chance of winning.

The polling is very clear on this and not a matter of opinion; yes, his core ideas have consistent, recurring majority support.

And yes, they are absolutely realistic per the plans that exist and have been put out, though political will is obviously required to raise the revenues. Moreover, even conservative interpretations of things like MFA feature ultimate and considerable net savings vis a vis the status quo; the primary difference, besides considerable savings per every projection, including partisan ones opposed to it, is that cost is transferred from the private to the public sector.

That's the thing though - the price tag. This makes them unrealistic.

That's the thing though - the price tag. This makes them unrealistic.

Not if you have a plan to pay for it as both Bernie and Warren do, and that's in relation to conservative estimates, nevermind savings more in line with what we see everywhere else in the developed world.

Is there any way we can set up some kind of pool here where we actually win real things. Like can we bet pizzas on who the nominee will be and stay anonymous. Because Bernie won't be the nominee and I want to win real things from people who think he will be.

Not if you have a plan to pay for it as both Bernie and Warren do, and that's in relation to conservative estimates, nevermind savings more in line with what we see everywhere else in the developed world.

Both have 'plans' to pay for it through dramatically increased taxes. Bernie excessively so. (Warren less so, but she won't cover the cost either). People won't want to pay that price tag. Sorry.

Is there any way we can set up some kind of pool here where we actually win real things. Like can we bet pizzas on who the nominee will be and stay anonymous. Because Bernie won't be the nominee and I want to win real things from people who think he will be.

PredictIt

Bernie no is selling at 86 cents on the dollar.

Back
Top Bottom