• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New poll has Abbott up by 19 points

Abbott wins comfortably by double digits, an obvious result to anyone paying attention

And? I didn’t say he would win. I mean - hey. Texans know how horrible Abbott is, but the fact remains that they just dislike Beto more.

And again - that state is getting more purple every day. I stand by what I said, and I’m not the only one. 55% is great, but 44% isn’t small potatoes, and if you add those two colors together, they are pretty ****ing purple.

The Democrats problem is they don’t have a lot of good candidates. Most people would have voted for a used nasal swab over Desantis last night if there was anyone to vote for. But there was no one to vote for. Crist isn’t that likeable. Same with Beto. He’s just not likeable enough.

You also have to remember Abbott won by 13.3% in that same election.

Texas may one day elect a statewide democrat but it will not be Beto and it will not happen in 2022
One thing to remember is that Texas a few decades ago was firmly in control of democrats - just as much (if not more so) than it is Republicans now. As the democrat party slid further to the left, more moderate (and/or fiscally conservative) democrats in Texas found themselves shoved out.

One thing to remember is that Texas a few decades ago was firmly in control of democrats - just as much (if not more so) than it is Republicans now. As the democrat party slid further to the left, more moderate (and/or fiscally conservative) democrats in Texas found themselves shoved out.

No. The racists just moved from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party. Happened all over the south. Started before Nixon, pushed by Reagan, and was firmly entrenched by the 90s. There were some holdouts here and there but the transition from Democrat to Dixiecrat to Republican was achieved.

A few decades ago? The last time the Democrats held all the statewide offices as the Republicans have done for the past 25 years was in 1960

A few decades ago? The last time the Democrats held all the statewide offices as the Republicans have done for the past 25 years was in 1960
Yup, civil rights changed all of that.

Say, which party was running the South back then?

If I were to have access to a Time Machine, I suspect I found find that I would have nothing in common with southern democrats from the 60s even though democrat means liberal in the more recent decades.

Southern democrats from that era (and many southern republicans today) are from a culture that we would do fine to lose.

Last edited:
No. The racists just moved from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party. Happened all over the south. Started before Nixon, pushed by Reagan, and was firmly entrenched by the 90s. There were some holdouts here and there but the transition from Democrat to Dixiecrat to Republican was achieved.
That's a silly talking point.

Again, for Texas, the state was firmly Democrat not that long ago. The transition happened more in the Bill Clinton era. Ann Richards was governor until 1995. (there have only been three governors since). Lloyd Bentson was a well respected Senator here until he left to join the Clinton administration in 1993.

All statewide offices, maybe. But still well represented in the early 90s.

but 44% isn’t small potatoes

Yes it is anything below 45% isn't even in contention.

This is what below 45% looks like

1600px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png

1600px-ElectoralCollege1980.svg.png

1600px-ElectoralCollege1956.svg.png

Back
Top Bottom