• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New Poll For Military

Which Option is Best?

• Institute a FULL military draft to include ALL segments of society, from rich to poor.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Completely and totally abolish the military altogether where nobody serves

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Vets of volunteer military who have seen direct combat get more benefits and more political power.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

TimmyBoy

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Here is my new poll for the military.

Why don't you stop assuming that everyone agrees with one of these dumb ideas and list the obvious answer as an option: "Maintain a professional, volunteer army where veterans have the same amount of political power as everyone else."

Kandahar said:
Why don't you stop assuming that everyone agrees with one of these dumb ideas and list the obvious answer as an option: "Maintain a professional, volunteer army where veterans have the same amount of political power as everyone else."

I can't see why anybody would disagree with these poll options. These are poll options that advocate a fair solution. Why would anybody be opposed to fairness when lives are at stake?

TimmyBoy said:
I can't see why anybody would disagree with these poll options. These are poll options that advocate a fair solution. Why would anybody be opposed to fairness when lives are at stake?

Because all three of the ideas are moronic, and the current system works fine.

The fact that you can't even imagine that anyone wouldn't agree with at least ONE of these innane suggestions speaks a lot about your political wisdom.

Kandahar said:

The fact that you can't even imagine that anyone wouldn't agree with at least ONE of these innane suggestions speaks a lot about your political wisdom.

The current system works fine for you because the deal is unfairly to your advantage, you get a steal, but it's a rip off for those who wear the uniform. I mean, the way it currently works, the military is being severly EXPLOITED and they are not being paid their fair market value (the fair market value includes the increased political power of combat veterans). The way the military is unfairly exploited, if I was them, I would go on strike and demand a fair market value for services, which would include increase benefit payouts and a stronger political voice than the average person, since my lives are at stake. I don't see how our military takes being ripped off and exploited the way that they are. It's pure EXPLOITATION for what they give in return. It's not a fair market value. The American people and the US government get a steal while US combat veterans get a raw deal, a ripp off.

Last edited:
The problem, is that the US combat veterans get crapped on and the US military get taken advantage of. They get a raw deal when you think about it.

TimmyBoy said:
Sig- Big Brother is watching you.
George Orwell

I was wondering if you see the Irony created by your poll questions.....followed by your Sig.

tecoyah said:
I was wondering if you see the Irony created by your poll questions.....followed by your Sig.

Their is no irony at all in my poll options in contrast with my signature. Just because I am pro-military doesn't mean I am pro big brother. Big brother rips the military off, exploits it and takes advantage of it and then leaves the vets out to hang and dry. Just ask those vets with Gulf War syndrome or Agent Orange.

With freedom, rights and citizenship comes responsibility. If you are unwilling to fight for them then you should not enjoy them. If you want somebody else to fight for your rights for you, then it's only fair they enjoy more political power than yourself. The founding fathers were anti-big brother after kicking the King of England out but just about everybody was in the militia and part of the citizen army.

TimmyBoy said:
Their is no irony at all in my poll options in contrast with my signature. Just because I am pro-military doesn't mean I am pro big brother. Big brother rips the military off, exploits it and takes advantage of it and then leaves the vets out to hang and dry. Just ask those vets with Gulf War syndrome or Agent Orange.

I'll take that as a No

If I was today's military, I would be trying to negotiate a better deal from the American people and the US government. If they don't give me the fair deal I want, then I would go on strike and tell the US government, they better figuire something out real quick which is acceptable and fair to the military if they don't want to leave this country open to attack too long. I would want increased political power and a guaranteed opportunity at the nation's best schools in any field of study I want. Or we can go back to a draft or abolish the military.

TimmyBoy said:
I would want increased political power and a guaranteed opportunity at the nation's best schools in any field of study I want. Or we can go back to a draft or abolish the military.

I am curious as to why serving in the military should grant you increased political power? And how would you give veterans this increased political power?

Kandahar said:

Precisely-the three choices ignore the most obvious and sane option

TimmyBoy said:
If I was today's military, I would be trying to negotiate a better deal from the American people and the US government. If they don't give me the fair deal I want, then I would go on strike and tell the US government, they better figuire something out real quick which is acceptable and fair to the military if they don't want to leave this country open to attack too long. I would want increased political power and a guaranteed opportunity at the nation's best schools in any field of study I want. Or we can go back to a draft or abolish the military.

1) you can't strike in the military

2) plenty of people accept the terms as they are now

3) just how do you propose to gain entrance at Yale or Amherst? :roll:

The military should be given more benefits, but more political power? I don't agree with that.

And if the military COULD go on strike, which I doubt they can, would they still protect the US if an invasion happened DURING the strike? Or would y'all just let the invaders enter unchallenged?

Plain old me said:
I am curious as to why serving in the military should grant you increased political power? And how would you give veterans this increased political power?

Put your life on the country you deserve more political power.

Donkey1499 said:
The military should be given more benefits, but more political power? I don't agree with that.

And if the military COULD go on strike, which I doubt they can, would they still protect the US if an invasion happened DURING the strike? Or would y'all just let the invaders enter unchallenged?

The US military could go on strike if every member of the armed services decided to do so. Their wouldn't be much the government could do about it. They can't court martial and jail every member of the military without paying unacceptable consequences for doing so.

Or the government would then have no choice but to institute a draft to break up the strike.

Donkey1499 said:
Why? Can you give us a good reason? We have enough politicians as is, so we don't need more.

I just gave you a good reason why. Carry your fair share of your responsibility of citizenship and you won't have to worry about somebody having more political power than you.

I mean, the way I see it, if I am going to have to risk my life and carry more than my fair share of the burden, then you got to make it worth my time. I would charge those costs in the form of more political power as well as bigger benefit payouts. That's business. When you start talking about an all volunteer military, you are talking business. Those would be my fees. Right now, the all volunteer military is overworked, under-paid, exploited and taken advantage of. Uncle Sam has gotten a steal from them.

TimmyBoy said:
I mean, the way I see it, if I am going to have to risk my life and carry more than my fair share of the burden, then you got to make it worth my time. I would charge those costs in the form of more political power as well as bigger benefit payouts. That's business. When you start talking about an all volunteer military, you are talking business. Those would be my fees. Right now, the all volunteer military is overworked, under-paid, exploited and taken advantage of. Uncle Sam has gotten a steal from them.

More benefits, yes. More political power, no. Why should they get more power than anyone else. That isn't very fair. Remember, they CHOSE to join the military. No one forced them to.

Donkey1499 said:
More benefits, yes. More political power, no. Why should they get more power than anyone else. That isn't very fair. Remember, they CHOSE to join the military. No one forced them to.

They chose, but I think they would be suckers to choose to do so if they were not granted more political power. I think it's perfectly fair to ask for more political power in the absence of a draft and risking your life based on political decisions made in Washington. Those would be my fees, if the American people were unwilling to pay those fees, then I wouldn't supply the service. I would just kick back, chill out, be safe with the rest of the non-serving Americans and let some other sucker risk his/her life for me, foolishly.

TimmyBoy said:
I just gave you a good reason why. Carry your fair share of your responsibility of citizenship and you won't have to worry about somebody having more political power than you.

I am curious over your fixation on this issue-are you mad about your service?
Having regrets and not getting as much you think you deserved?

If serving gives you more power shouldn't Net Tax payers have more votes than Net Tax Consumers

If I were to see other Americans wanting to serve, wanting to do their fair share of the load, then I would cancel the fees for my political power and ask for less of a benefit payout and go to war with everybody else. But in the other scenario, where you have an absence of a draft military, political leaders abusing the use of the all-volunteer military, then I would demand a higher benefit payout and more political power than the rest of society since my fate is decided on dark political objectives. It's business. These are the fees to pay if they wanted me to join the all volunteer military. I think those people who join the all volunteer military without charging these fees are getting the shaft, they are getting ripped off and allowing themselves to be unfairly exploited.

Back
Top Bottom