• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New poll finds overwhelmingly support for taxing the rich's wealth

Whos upset by it? Your morally and intellectually bankrupt posts brighten my day.

You clearly are. So much so that you're lying about it and pretending to yourself that any believes you.

Hint: it's not working. Please calm down.

Return to pre-Bush era taxation levels for the wealthy. Problem solved.

Our economic crisis is not by accident. If you push the tax burden to the middle class then, guess what, the middle class will start shrinking and national infrastructure will fall apart at an accelerated rate.

The moral hoopla about "theft" is one of the biggest oxymorons of the right. The Panama Papers showed us that trillions are being stashed overseas. The top 10% own more wealth than the bottom 90%. It makes more sense to take from them.

Yeah, individuals have rights, but we all have a fiduciary responsibility to support our country. On a micro level we work to better ourselves but on a macro level we are part of a society. So pay up.

Really?

Which rich person ever forcibly took anything from you?

By not living up to their fiduciary responsibility, they deprive the rest of society, a society they are part of, of benefit.

Don't be so literal.

By not living up to their fiduciary responsibility, they deprive the rest of society, a society they are part of, of benefit.

Don't be so literal.

What "fiduciary responsibility" do they have, and in what way have they not lived up to it?

I'm pretty sure D_NATURED was being more literal than you.

A better analogy: You live in a nice neighborhood with several playgrounds, well maintained sidewalks, and a large pool. A group of your neighbors want to get together and chip in to keep the neighborhood nice. They tell you that, for the privilege of having your house in the neighborhood, you are required to surrender a percentage of your income to the home owner's association.

Theft?

Psychology shows that people are willing to make sacrifices if the game is fair. If everyone is paying their fair share, then the game is fair and most people don't have a problem paying taxes. Where the rebellion starts is when people find a way to shirk their fiduciary responsibility. To add insult to injury, they not only claim that the middle class needs to pay more, but that poor people are lazy.

Your analogy is essentially flawed because it relies upon voluntary participation. I was just born here. I didn't sign a contract with the government to give them a percentage of my earnings, did I? No, they just take it. I'm okay with that, as long as everyone pays their fair share.

Taxes aren't bad if they are fair. It's when people who make hundreds of millions of dollars start coveting their money so much that they don't contribute to society that I have a problem.

The taxation system isn't just about money. It's about responsibility to society. If you run a business in America and use its legal, social and political framework to profit, do you not owe the society something?

None of the rich tycoons of today would have got anywhere without supportive systems, the same systems that they are avoiding support for now. And they use their media conglomerates to spin the story to make it seem like the economic problems are due to anything else but them. That's why it's so crucial that our First Amendment institutions be publicly owned, and not privately owned. Otherwise the people who avoid the taxes end up being the same people who own the information networks, and we don't find out the real story until our economy is in jeopardy.

Back
Top Bottom