• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Poll by Saint Anselm College Survey Center Shows Competitive 2022 Elections Shaping Up

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
March 31, 2022
By Ann Camann

A new poll conducted by the Saint Anselm College Survey Center (SACSC) at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics (NHIOP) finds 68% of New Hampshire registered voters now believe the country is on the wrong track, down from 74% reported in our January poll. 21% believe it is headed in the right direction. This political environment has led to slightly improved job approval for incumbents. However, approval of President Biden’s handling of the economy remains unchanged. 58% of voters disapprove of the job Biden has done on the economy against 40% who approve, unchanged since January. A plurality of 32% blame high inflation on Biden.

President Joe Biden’s job approval has increased slightly to 43%-57% from 41%-58% in January. Governor Chris Sununu has recovered from his career low and is now at 62%-36%. Senator Jeanne Shaheen has improved slightly and is now at 48%-47%; Senator Maggie Hassan is at 46%-49%; Congressman Chris Pappas is at 43%-42%; and Congresswoman Annie Kuster is at 42%-45%.

Governor Sununu starts with a strong lead in his re-election campaign. Sununu is the only incumbent that enjoys ballot strength over 50%, and leads in a hypothetical matchup against his only announced challenger, State Senator Tom Sherman, 51%-24%.

Hassan’s ballot strength in hypothetical match-ups averages 44%, up 2 points from January; however, her potential opponents’ ballot strength averages 36%, up 7 points from January. 2020 candidate Don Bolduc continues to be the best known of the field with 70% name recognition and 45% of voters having an opinion of him. Bolduc also holds Hassan to the tightest margin at 5 points, 44%-39%.

New Hampshire is a swing state, so the fact that Sen. Maggie Hassan (D) and her lead over Bolduc is just 5 points anymore should be very troubling for Democrats in the next months …

Things are not looking good for Sen. Hassan (D) in NH this year …

She is currently ahead by 5% … OK … but she has been ahead by 10 against Don Bolduc (R) already.

Whats more:

She only has a 45-51 favorable rating with NH voters (-6), while Bolduc is at 26-20 (+6).

Bolduc is unknown to more than half of voters, so he has room to grow his favorable ratings and move into a tie or lead by the fall, like Youngkin did in VA and who was also relatively unknown in early 2021 …

March 31, 2022
By Ann Camann

A new poll conducted by the Saint Anselm College Survey Center (SACSC) at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics (NHIOP) finds 68% of New Hampshire registered voters now believe the country is on the wrong track, down from 74% reported in our January poll. 21% believe it is headed in the right direction. This political environment has led to slightly improved job approval for incumbents. However, approval of President Biden’s handling of the economy remains unchanged. 58% of voters disapprove of the job Biden has done on the economy against 40% who approve, unchanged since January. A plurality of 32% blame high inflation on Biden.

President Joe Biden’s job approval has increased slightly to 43%-57% from 41%-58% in January. Governor Chris Sununu has recovered from his career low and is now at 62%-36%. Senator Jeanne Shaheen has improved slightly and is now at 48%-47%; Senator Maggie Hassan is at 46%-49%; Congressman Chris Pappas is at 43%-42%; and Congresswoman Annie Kuster is at 42%-45%.

Governor Sununu starts with a strong lead in his re-election campaign. Sununu is the only incumbent that enjoys ballot strength over 50%, and leads in a hypothetical matchup against his only announced challenger, State Senator Tom Sherman, 51%-24%.

Hassan’s ballot strength in hypothetical match-ups averages 44%, up 2 points from January; however, her potential opponents’ ballot strength averages 36%, up 7 points from January. 2020 candidate Don Bolduc continues to be the best known of the field with 70% name recognition and 45% of voters having an opinion of him. Bolduc also holds Hassan to the tightest margin at 5 points, 44%-39%.

New Hampshire is a swing state, so the fact that Sen. Maggie Hassan (D) and her lead over Bolduc is just 5 points anymore should be very troubling for Democrats in the next months …

And so the pendulum swings. Incumbent parties usually lose seats in the midterms.

And so the pendulum swings. Incumbent parties usually lose seats in the midterms.
Only problem is we are nearing the end of free and fair elections. The more the rapeublicans win, the less democratic the country becomes.

March 31, 2022
By Ann Camann

Let me start out by saying I was actually polled in this poll and I participated. The responses are pretty much in line with the ways I responded.

Not a fan of Bolduc's. I admire his background but not his support for Trump.

Sununu is a Republican I fully support.

We in NH are very much a swing state. The last state to be certified in 2016 (ended up a Clinton victory). We have seen dramatic swings in our DC representation. Chris Pappas's district was R, then D, then R again, then D. Shaheen defeated Sununu's brother John for his US Senate seat. Hassan defeated Kelly Ayotte (young first term R Senator).

I can't predict how any of it will turn out. We go back and forth and back and forth.

Let me start out by saying I was actually polled in this poll and I participated. The responses are pretty much in line with the ways I responded.

Not a fan of Bolduc's. I admire his background but not his support for Trump.

Sununu is a Republican I fully support.

We in NH are very much a swing state. The last state to be certified in 2016 (ended up a Clinton victory). We have seen dramatic swings in our DC representation. Chris Pappas's district was R, then D, then R again, then D. Shaheen defeated Sununu's brother John for his US Senate seat. Hassan defeated Kelly Ayotte (young first term R Senator).

I can't predict how any of it will turn out. We go back and forth and back and forth.

Chris Sununu would be a good 2024 Republican candidate for President, along other sane Republicans like Charlie Baker from nearby Massachusetts or Phil Scott from Vermont, or Larry Hogan from Maryland.

I can’t think of a more useless metric in a divided nation than “Is the country on the right path?”

Back
Top Bottom