• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Organism dates life on land back to 2.2 Billion years ago.

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Amazing find. They actually visualized the fossil with a cyclotron - used for particle physics and generating powerful Xrays.

Here's a sketch of the little bugger. Not a plant, not an animal.

fossil.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greening of the Earth pushed way back in time

A new study has presented evidence for life on land that dates back 2.2 billion years and almost half way back to the inception of the planet.

Conventional scientific wisdom has it that plants and other creatures have only lived on land for about 500 million years, and that landscapes of the early Earth were as barren as Mars.

A new study, led by geologist Gregory J. Retallack of the University of Oregon, now has presented evidence for life on land that is four times as old — at 2.2 billion years ago and almost half way back to the inception of the planet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greening of the Earth pushed way back in time | Earth | EarthSky

I thought we were all descended from eels. I wish science would make up its mind. Facts shouldn't be such a moving target.

Amazing find. They actually visualized the fossil with a cyclotron - used for particle physics and generating powerful Xrays.

View attachment 67150826

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greening of the Earth pushed way back in time

A new study has presented evidence for life on land that dates back 2.2 billion years and almost half way back to the inception of the planet.

Conventional scientific wisdom has it that plants and other creatures have only lived on land for about 500 million years, and that landscapes of the early Earth were as barren as Mars.

A new study, led by geologist Gregory J. Retallack of the University of Oregon, now has presented evidence for life on land that is four times as old — at 2.2 billion years ago and almost half way back to the inception of the planet.

Except the earth isn't that old......

I thought we were all descended from eels. I wish science would make up its mind. Facts shouldn't be such a moving target.

You might be descended from eels. I'm descended from that first single celled organism that was created billions of years ago.

You might be descended from eels. I'm descended from that first single celled organism that was created billions of years ago.

I am descended from Adam. People put a lot of faith in science, maybe too much seeing as how their knowledge is so inexact.

Who knew this post would generate so much derp?

The idea that the theory of evolution might actually be correct brings out the derp in people who are determined to defend the literalism of their ancient texts.

the earth is spectacularly contaminated; so contaminated that some of the life forms have started walking around and posting on the internet. i find the whole thing fascinating.

For goodness sake. Quit trying to make that a word. :cool:

How do you know you were descended from the first? Maybe it was the 10,000,000,000th single cell organism in so much as the process that was creating them could have created or destroyed many simultaneously if it was creating any at all.

Brace yourself.

It could have been both.

Got a better descriptor? Idiocy seems so mild.

"Crap" works just fine. Or misunderstood teachings bought hook, line and sinker if you're felling mellow about it. No need to re-invent the wheel with a new lexicon.

Brace yourself.

It could have been both.

Perhaps, but scientists are the ones who would say you were wrong. You are descended from apes, no eels, no that thingy in the OP.

Perhaps, but scientists are the ones who would say you were wrong. You are descended from apes, no eels, no that thingy in the OP.

I'm thinking your grasp of evolution is pretty sketchy...

How would you know you are not descended from that organism if you don't even quite know what it is?

Eels are certainly not in our lineage. A common ancestor split off of mammals and eels 400 MM years ago.

No actual scientists would say he was wrong. They actually understand evolution.

Once again conventional scientific wisdom is proven to be wrong. That is exactly why it would be stupid to change our energy policy based on the latest and greatest scientific consensus.

sivestr-stalone-facepalm.gif

The facts aren't moving. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. This creature can exist and we can all have a common eel-like ancestor.

The facts aren't moving. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. This creature can exist and we can all have a common eel-like ancestor.

True. But we don't have an eel like ancestor. Eels are descended from bony fishes, as are humans.

View attachment 67150826

That's a bit of a game changer if you ask me... What happens to the concept of the "primordial soup" when the first organisms known are now 2.2 billion years old and on land?? (assuming that 2.2 billion years ago that they are right on it existing on land)

It's too bad how little information comes along with the find, but still amazing.

I don't get why this new find would make anybody change their opinions on evolution.

Creationists, it's only dogma that maintains your belief, don't read the bible quite so literally and you might get more out of it. The science has long ago made its case that you are wrong.

Evolutionists, don't be so cocky because you can't answer all the questions properly either. Combining efforts with the ID people might actually draw better answers, if open minds prevail on both sides.

I only bring that up because the issue was raised.

Back
Top Bottom