• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New omicron variant is one of the most infectious diseases ever known

And there it is. Didn’t take long did it.
That's not as bad as what gloom and doom Dr. Faucet is saying.

Dr. Faucet, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, warned Americans this week that they could soon face additional COVID-19 lockdown measures should a new strain of the virus cause case numbers to increase.
How the hyperventilating covid fools can listen to the idiot is mind boggling. Especially when the studies have shown lockdowns have had little benefit and in fact caused more harm.
While this meta-analysis concludes that lockdowns have had little to no public health effects, they have imposed enormous economic and social costs where they have been adopted," the researchers wrote. "In consequence, lockdown policies are ill-founded and should be rejected as a pandemic policy instrument."
The fool even looks like Chicken Little.

Last edited:
That's not as bad as what gloom and doom Dr. Faucet is saying.

How the hyperventilating covid fools can listen to the idiot is mind boggling. Especially when the studies have shown lockdowns have had little benefit and in fact caused more harm.

The fool even looks like Chicken Little.
It is a fact that lockdowns worked by reducing but not eliminating viral transmission. This is exactly why there may be more lockdowns and mask mandates in the future should there be another wave of a virulent variant. So be prepared for it.

"Even after adjusting for things like the size of the pandemic when the restrictions were put in place, the results show a significant decrease in death rates once lockdown occurs. This study does not appear in the meta-analysis. In fact, all studies using a before-and-after approach were excluded."

It is a fact that lockdowns worked by reducing but not eliminating viral transmission. This is exactly why there may be more lockdowns and mask mandates in the future should there be another wave of a virulent variant. So be prepared for it.

The fact that there is disagreement among the "authorities" should give cause for questioning lockdowns since there is no doubt they caused a great deal of economic and social harm. Even the CDC has had to modify its data on covid deaths because of an "accidental" mistake.

Here we go again? Mask and mandates return or nothing but hype to keep us afraid? I’m thinking hype.

“A new strain of omicron coronavirus, believed to be among the most infectious diseases known to mankind, is predicted to causeanother nationwide surgei of cases during autumn.”

Hell hath no fury like a moderately inconvenienced conservative.

The fact that there is disagreement among the "authorities" should give cause for questioning lockdowns since there is no doubt they caused a great deal of economic and social harm. Even the CDC has had to modify its data on covid deaths because of an "accidental" mistake.

The CDCs mistake has nothing to do with the effectiveness of lockdowns.
Reducing person to person interaction is a time tested technique for dealing with dangerous infections. If you go to an extreme and everyone stayed home for a month there would be no more infections at all. Of course not everyone will stay home but the fewer people out and about the fewer the infections that will occur.
That’s just common sense, isn’t it.

The CDCs mistake has nothing to do with the effectiveness of lockdowns.
Reducing person to person interaction is a time tested technique for dealing with dangerous infections. If you go to an extreme and everyone stayed home for a month there would be no more infections at all. Of course not everyone will stay home but the fewer people out and about the fewer the infections that will occur.
That’s just common sense, isn’t it.
The common sense answer is to ask why despite the lockdowns (and all the other measures) we continued to see surges. Even in those more restrictive cities the numbers were higher. The actual data of the harm lockdowns had is still being measured. Sometimes a little bit of common sense tells you that if the cure is worst than the illness maybe there’s something wrong with the approach.

The common sense answer is to ask why despite the lockdowns (and all the other measures) we continued to see surges. Even in those more restrictive cities the numbers were higher. The actual data of the harm lockdowns had is still being measured. Sometimes a little bit of common sense tells you that if the cure is worst than the illness maybe there’s something wrong with the approach.
Surges occurred because the lockdowns were incomplete. If everyone stayed home there would be no surge. If 90% of the people stayed home the surge would be far less than if only 5% of the people stayed home. I don’t know what the actual percentage of people staying home was during each lockdown but it’s reasonable to assume that if more people stayed home the surges would have been blunted-all the way down to zero if everyone was home.
The collateral damage to businesses and individual finances is hard to know, but a stay at home order kills very few people by itself, if anyone. And there is no doubt that lives were saved because at least some people stayed home.

Surges occurred because the lockdowns were incomplete. If everyone stayed home there would be no surge. If 90% of the people stayed home the surge would be far less than if only 5% of the people stayed home. I don’t know what the actual percentage of people staying home was during each lockdown but it’s reasonable to assume that if more people stayed home the surges would have been blunted-all the way down to zero if everyone was home.
The collateral damage to businesses and individual finances is hard to know, but a stay at home order kills very few people by itself, if anyone. And there is no doubt that lives were saved because at least some people stayed home.
The lockdowns were a complete failure everywhere they were done. Just look at all the studies and who not recommending it at all. Since we have omnicron it would be extremely cruel and be a crime against humanity to have them now. https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220204/lockdowns-covid-deaths-study

The lockdowns were a complete failure everywhere they were done. Just look at all the studies and who not recommending it at all. Since we have omnicron it would be extremely cruel and be a crime against humanity to have them now. https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20220204/lockdowns-covid-deaths-study
Wrong. The quote below is from your own link. Lockdowns were used successfully in nearly every country in the world at one point or another. The posters here who claim that they "didn't work" are simply wrong; the posters here are not smarter than every country in the world.. They saved lives. Thats just a fact. As I wrote elsewhere, they didn't work as well as they could have because they weren't strict enough. If EVERYONE stayed home there would be no more infections-don't you agree with that?

Feb. 4, 2022 -- An analysis from a trio of economists says pandemic lockdowns during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic did little to reduce the number of COVID-related deaths.

Lockdowns in the United States and Europe reduced COVID-related deaths by only .2%, and shelter-in-placed orders reduced deaths by 2.9%, the study says.

The findings, which have not been peer reviewed, conflict with previous studies that found lockdowns worked.

One published in July 2020 in the British journal BMJ, for example, found that lockdowns helped reduce the number of COVID-19 cases.

And a May 2020 study out of Columbia University found nearly that 36,000 American lives would have been spared if strict social distancing measures had been enacted across the country just 1 week earlier than they were.

Even if deaths were reduced by only 2.9% lives would have been saved.
Note: the link you provided was a study done by ECONOMISTS. It might as well have been written by plumbers.

But far more lives from were likely saved through lockdowns, masking, and social distancing.
Here is one study that reinforces that fact:

Conclusion​

Evaluated as a full complex of COVID-19-mitigating restrictions, the number of lives saved by the spring-summer lockdowns and other COVID-19 mitigation was greater than the number of lives potentially lost due to the economic downturn.

BTW. no one is advocating for a lockdown at this point. Cases and deaths are falling. They might be needed in the future but not right now.

One more article that proves my point, that its a FACT that lockdowns worked. I will not debate facts here:

"Without them we believe the toll would have been huge," Bhatt says.

In addition to the paper from Bhatt and his colleagues, Nature also published a separate study from the Global Policy Lab at the University of California, Berkeley. That study analyzed lockdowns in China, South Korea, Iran, France, Italy and the United States.

It found that the lockdowns in those six countries averted 62 million confirmed cases.

Last edited:
They also saw a huge spike when lockdowns were in place

Yes. And?

What happened to cause the huge spike?
People naturally breaking lockdown rules because of lack of enforcement and visiting each other. generally people spreading it throughout the house hold from infection before the lockdown. This is all simple logic

People naturally breaking lockdown rules because of lack of enforcement and visiting each other. generally people spreading it throughout the house hold from infection before the lockdown. This is all simple logic

So lockdowns didn't work simply because people didn't lock down.

Got it.

Seat belts don't help if you don't wear them. That doesn't mean seatbelts are effective if used.

According to one article I read during the height of our lockdowns (which were pretty significant), traffic was down 50%. They were way too half assed.

Enforcement has been way too lax. Some people need to be "encouraged" to follow the rules. We should have had much stronger enforcement from the very beginning, recognizing that the country is full of nests of maskholes and covidiots.

Enforcement has been way too lax. Some people need to be "encouraged" to follow the rules. We should have had much stronger enforcement from the very beginning, recognizing that the country is full of nests of maskholes and covidiots.
This would also go against the defund the police movement.

What should have happened is that in January when the powers that be saw this coming, immediate planning and funding for grocery stores and pharmacies everywhere to go full delivery should have happened. They should have started offering it as soon as they had the workers and then closed the doors to the public once the lockdowns came. I'm sure it helped that some businesses were closed and people weren't breathing on each other all day, but around here, seniors who were the most at risk had no choice but to go to Hannaford and breathe on each other. Yes, they had a 'bouncer' at the door not letting you in without a mask, but we know how well those home sewn masks worked. You couldn't get a mask of any sort around here for love or money for weeks. I'm not talking just good masks, either. Amazon was sold out, I was calling every store here, and no one had them or knew when...almost had a heart attack more than once seeing people with bandanas pulled up over their faces walking into a store...until I remembered.

We got caught with our pants down. Hope the gov has stockpiles in place and better emergency plans for the next time.

Seems reasonable to me. I expect fear mongering on this though. A fearful population is easier to control.
They need as many distractions from his Job performance as possible. lol

And there it is. Didn’t take long did it.
Current 7 day rolling avg of deaths in US, 647.

That's still more than 236,000 per year, and still ranks as the 3rd leading cause of death in America.

You may be through with Covid, but Covid isn't done with us.

You believe the science behind the identification and statistics on the new COVID strain is "hype"?
You do realize how silly that sounds?
Speaking only for myself, one may infer the motivation behind the hype is questionable.

What should have happened is that in January when the powers that be saw this coming, immediate planning and funding for grocery stores and pharmacies everywhere to go full delivery should have happened. They should have started offering it as soon as they had the workers and then closed the doors to the public once the lockdowns came. I'm sure it helped that some businesses were closed and people weren't breathing on each other all day, but around here, seniors who were the most at risk had no choice but to go to Hannaford and breathe on each other. Yes, they had a 'bouncer' at the door not letting you in without a mask, but we know how well those home sewn masks worked. You couldn't get a mask of any sort around here for love or money for weeks. I'm not talking just good masks, either. Amazon was sold out, I was calling every store here, and no one had them or knew when...almost had a heart attack more than once seeing people with bandanas pulled up over their faces walking into a store...until I remembered.

We got caught with our pants down. Hope the gov has stockpiles in place and better emergency plans for the next time.
I have to tell you that when I first heard of the virus killing people in China I knew it was going to be bad, that it would not be confined to China or anywhere else. Before Dr Fauci and others even started issuing recommendations I went out and bought several N95 masks and a bunch of hand sanitizer. Now, I don’t think I am that smart, but if someone like me can see it about to hit the fan why couldn’t the jackass’ administration figure it out? Truth is, they KNEW. Basically they sat on their hands and willfully ignored the impending disaster. When lockdowns happened, as you said, there was no enforcement, leaving compliance up to the covidiot and maskhole schmucks here. This screwed the country.

Measles is far more contagious than Covid. Not even in the same league.
Yes, and just like Covid-19 there are effective vaccines (MMR), conferring lifetime immunity against measles-unlike current Covid vaccines which require boosters-like flu vaccines. How about that?

Back
Top Bottom