• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New omicron variant is one of the most infectious diseases ever known

Here we go again? Mask and mandates return or nothing but hype to keep us afraid? I’m thinking hype.

“A new strain of omicron coronavirus, believed to be among the most infectious diseases known to mankind, is predicted to causeanother nationwide surgei of cases during autumn.”

I'm wondering if it's this variant that's causing the recent upswing in China? They're shutting down again!

As to masks, I still wear one in enclosed public places, even though I came very close to ditching it. But my local numbers, while down, still are substantial enough to be of concern.

If this variant remains mild, it will follow what is often the normal trajectory for pandemics: It becomes more infectious, and less deadly. This is what I believe we're seeing, here. Hopefully.

I'm wondering if it's this variant that's causing the recent upswing in China? They're shutting down again!

As to masks, I still wear one in enclosed public places, even though I came very close to ditching it. But my local numbers, while down, still are substantial enough to be of concern.

If this variant remains mild, it will follow what is often the normal trajectory for pandemics: It becomes more infectious, and less deadly. This is what I believe we're seeing, here. Hopefully.

China returns to mass shutdowns as COVID-19 cases surge​

The Chinese authorities have shut down the city of Changchun in Jilin province, a city of nine million residents, The Age reported.

At the same time, the authorities have ordered the construction of makeshift hospitals in the city, and also in the eastern port city of Qingdao.

Meanwhile, an outbreak of the omicron variant in Shanghai saw schools shuttered again, while officials are said to be looking at diverting all international flights away from the financial centre to ease pressure on quarantine hotels.

China isolates all virus cases, including those in the community, as part of its COVID Zero policy, the report said.

The situation is not at ease even in the autonomous region of Hong Kong. About 300,000 Covid-19 patients and their close contacts in Hong Kong are now under home quarantine, according to the city’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam. The city chief also highlighted that it would be challenging for the authorities to keep up if the cases keep rising at the current rate.

According to China’s National Health Commission, China on Saturday reported 1,807 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases.

Domestic infections topped 1,000 on Friday for the first time since the peak of the original Wuhan outbreak, a tally that has ballooned from just over 300 cases a day in less than a week.

Of the total infections, 1,412 were reported in the North-eastern province of Jilin.

I think that most Americans have been pushed to the breaking point and are now just ignoring the news about COVID.

I live in Los Angeles, where -- I believe -- the schools still require masks inside the classroom.

And most Americans will stoically continue wearing masks on forms of transportation, etc.

It's been two horrific years that have broken the spirit of a lot of people.

So I guess that they are responding by tuning out on the latest alarms.

I guess most people have adopted the "Learn to live with COVID" trend.

(Heard that even authoritarian China is once again experiencing surges in Hong Kong and other cities.)

I wouldn't say Covid isn't being ignored, but for most I think as long as the numbers and morbidity are down, they will only pay attention if they see a large reversal, like we saw in late December and into January.

At least that's what I saw around my neck of the woods . . .

It's going to take a lot more than anxiety hyped headlines to get me all covid goofy again. I think people are getting tired of this incredulous crap.

Here we go again? Mask and mandates return or nothing but hype to keep us afraid? I’m thinking hype.

“A new strain of omicron coronavirus, believed to be among the most infectious diseases known to mankind, is predicted to causeanother nationwide surgei of cases during autumn.”

Again? The rolling 7 day average of covid deaths in America yesterday was still almost 1,300 a day (which would mean another @467,000 deaths over the next year). You may be done with covid, but it's not done with us.

BA.2 has been around for a couple of months now. Keep in mind that it isn't a new variant of Covid, but a variant of Omicron. Meaning that most who contracted Omicron previously will have immunity from from BA.2 as well as immunity from all previous covid variants.

Please insert "some increase in" before the word "immunity".

China returns to mass shutdowns as COVID-19 cases surge​

The Chinese authorities have shut down the city of Changchun in Jilin province, a city of nine million residents, The Age reported.

At the same time, the authorities have ordered the construction of makeshift hospitals in the city, and also in the eastern port city of Qingdao.

Meanwhile, an outbreak of the omicron variant in Shanghai saw schools shuttered again, while officials are said to be looking at diverting all international flights away from the financial centre to ease pressure on quarantine hotels.

China isolates all virus cases, including those in the community, as part of its COVID Zero policy, the report said.

The situation is not at ease even in the autonomous region of Hong Kong. About 300,000 Covid-19 patients and their close contacts in Hong Kong are now under home quarantine, according to the city’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam. The city chief also highlighted that it would be challenging for the authorities to keep up if the cases keep rising at the current rate.

According to China’s National Health Commission, China on Saturday reported 1,807 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases.

Domestic infections topped 1,000 on Friday for the first time since the peak of the original Wuhan outbreak, a tally that has ballooned from just over 300 cases a day in less than a week.

Of the total infections, 1,412 were reported in the North-eastern province of Jilin.

Thanks for your article -

The bolded is why I hypothesized the Chinese outbreak might be this new variant.

Whatever it is in China, it is of concern.

The article cites infection data, but not hospital or death data. We need to know the latter two data-sets, to get a better understanding.

Again? The rolling 7 day average of covid deaths in America yesterday was still almost 1,300 a day (which would mean another @467,000 deaths over the next year). You may be done with covid, but it's not done with us.

The bolded is sadly true.

We're getting better, but in many places we're not 'good'.

The still relatively high level of local infection yet occurring, has me keeping masking in indoors public places. And I swear, I was *this* close to burning the dayem thing! But my local numbers, while much improved, stubbornly refuse to fully come down to a med or low risk level. They seemed to have plateaued in their downward for a fortnight. I'm now wondering when those of us in large metro areas will see those numbers go 'green'? It's frustrating!

Covid is here to stay and despite the early vaccine rhetoric we will never reach covid zero. We have to go about life and learn to live with it.

"Mask? We don't need no stinking mask"

Please insert "some increase in" before the word "immunity".
From what I've understood, only a small percentage of people who've had BA.1 will not be immune from BA.2, and in the event they do contract it, most will experience nothing more than typical cold symptoms.

Of course I learned that information at least a month ago, so things could have changed since then that I haven't heard about, because frankly, I no longer follow covid news like I did back then.

From what I've understood, only a small percentage of people who've had BA.1 will not be immune from BA.2, and in the event they do contract it, most will experience nothing more than typical cold symptoms.

Of course I learned that information at least a month ago, so things could have changed since then that I haven't heard about, because frankly, I no longer follow covid news like I did back then.

In general terms, the bolded is my understanding - as well.

At this point, my primary concern, given that we continue having mild variants, is that Covid gives some lasting & lingering symptoms. I've even seen this from some around me in real life, at least if I'm to believe their claims.

The public health fascist regime is scowling with anger that Zelensky is now taking their spotlight.

Covid is here to stay and despite the early vaccine rhetoric we will never reach covid zero. We have to go about life and learn to live with it.
There is a difference between living with it and living with nearly 1/2 a million covid deaths per year.

Mandate vaccinations.

Personal choices are only strictly personal if they do not impact other people.

No argument, there.

Our local government has made mask wearing a personal choice, and I choose to wear mine inside enclosed public places.

However if I decide at some future point to no longer wear my mask in public indoors establishments, I'm happy to defer to the management or proprietor's preference in the matter. If a storeowner prefers masks be worn, I'm happy to cooperate and work within his or her comfort-level; after all, they have the higher risk of exposure, so I'm willing to work with them to stay safe. I value the resources I have at my purchase, and am willing to work-together with those that provide the resources I need.

No argument, there.

Our local government has made mask wearing a personal choice, and I choose to wear mine inside enclosed public places.

However if I decide at some future point to no longer wear my mask in public indoors establishments, I'm happy to defer to the management or proprietor's preference in the matter. If a storeowner prefers masks be worn, I'm happy to cooperate and work within his or her comfort-level; after all, they have the higher risk of exposure, so I'm willing to work with them to stay safe. I value the resources I have at my purchase, and am willing to work-together with those that provide the resources I need.

There is only way to be sure a choice is strictly personal and does not impact others. Keep to yourself at all times. Just because a store lets people not wear masks does not change this fact. Your personal choice could still impact someone else.

There is only way to be sure a choice is strictly personal and does not impact others. Keep to yourself at all times. Just because a store lets people not wear masks does not change this fact. Your personal choice could still impact someone else.

You're missing my point, with my last post:

I'm willing to go above my personal choice if need be, by accommodating the wishes of management or the proprietor, even if I were to come to believe I no longer need to personally wear a mask during my forays into their establishments.

I think the above is more than reasonable.

Paywall.

To test your knowledge of transmissibility, let's see if you know what R_0 (R0) is.

There is a difference between living with it and living with nearly 1/2 a million covid deaths per year.

Mandate vaccinations.
I would argue that natural immunity is why the virus has morphed into a more benign form and that it's the young and healthy that didn't get vaccinated and became infected with little to no symptoms that are the host to this metamorphosis. China with its heavily enforced vaccination and isolation never let this occur and is now suffering the consequences.

You're missing my point, with my last post:

I'm willing to go above my personal choice if need be, by accommodating the wishes of management or the proprietor, even if I were to come to believe I no longer need to personally wear a mask during my forays into their establishments.

I think the above is more than reasonable.

Yes, but the proprietor may say you can do something that potentially could create risk for others around you. So your so-called personal choice still has the potential to impact others. You can't put your personal responsibility on the proprietor.

I would argue that natural immunity is why the virus has morphed into a more benign form and that it's the young and healthy that didn't get vaccinated and became infected with little to no symptoms that are the host to this metamorphosis. China with its heavily enforced vaccination and isolation never let this occur and is now suffering the consequences.

There is no indication that natural immunity can or has been acquired. And that isn't how viruses work. Catching this year's flu does not make you immune from next year's. Same could be true of Covid.

The public health fascist regime is scowling with anger that Zelensky is now taking their spotlight.
Sure
For those who can’t chew gum and think at the same time

COVID 19 decoded!

Back
Top Bottom