• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New National Anthem Yes / No

JOHNYJ

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Everytime america is endangered or roused in a patriotic way.The Idea of changing the National Anthem pops up.The National Anthem is another short coming of Americans.Many can't sing it,most dont know more than the first chorous. For some reason the people who are picked to sing it at sporting events think they can improve on it.
Right now the competition for replacing it seems centered on the song " God Bless America " written by Irving Berlin. Sung first and best by Kate Smith. Of course it would be opposed tooth and nail by the ACLU and liberals.Who can't get past the name. Its got that word in it,God.That scares the hell out of liberals.
Than we have the Battle Hymn of the Republic ! That of course might upset the south. For liberals its even worse it mentions Christ ! Than theres " My Country Tis of Thee " which sounds like the British National Anthem God Save the Queen,also it has the word God in it.So you see the problem.

The only thing that annoys me is the religious conotations, but honestly, not that much. Keep it for history's sake.

I think the Star Spangled Banner is a great national anthem. The only slight problem that I have with it is that it was written during the War of 1812. It seems to me that it would make most sense to have an anthem that is about the Revolutionary War, simply because that was when we actually became a country. But it doesn't bother me much, I'd prefer to keep the one we've got.

"St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" - Frank Zappa

Actually, the reason why many people mess up with singing the National Anthem at sporting events (lead singers, of course) is because they're either A) Not American or B) To nervous, when someone is nervous they tend to have a mind blackout.

I say keep this National Anthem. "God Bless America" is a terrible song, I'd rather drop dead then have to sing it every time I go to a sporting event! Yeah.. so much for tolerance of religion...

Gandhi>Bush said:
Dude, Yellow Snow!

Never thought you'd hear that from a conservative, eh?

If the star spangled banner doesn't well up pride in your country, you have no heart. Keep it as is.

the Star Spangled Banner is a beautiful song. Do you know what that song is about? During the war of 1812 the fort was being bombed by the English and there was a huge battle at sea but after all of it and after the dust cleared away, one of the men found that the flag was still standing which meant the English hadn't taken the fort. Beautiful stuff.

Every time I hear 'bombs bursting in air' I think this is the most rediculous anthem I ever heard. We are glorifying war.

How about 'Amercia the beautiful'? That is what our country is really about.
Of course this would not fit well with the aggresive neo-con crowd.

The national anthem is fine as is.. Our country was founded through war, and the glorification of it only instills pride in our heritage. I don't like the idea of modern songs as a national anthem... the anthem should have some historical revelence. A war song is always good. I actually think most nations anthems are from times of war, in which extensive patriotism is pursuited.

FinnMacCool said:
the Star Spangled Banner is a beautiful song. Do you know what that song is about? During the war of 1812 the fort was being bombed by the English and there was a huge battle at sea but after all of it and after the dust cleared away, one of the men found that the flag was still standing which meant the English hadn't taken the fort. Beautiful stuff.

Very good, you forgot to add that the gentleman who wrote it was a prisoner of the English aboard one of their ships during the battle. He watched the battle rage all night (the bombs bursting in air) when the dawn came he asked "Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave?" Kind of a slap in the face of his captures.

Thats right Gdalton. Forgot about that.

A lot of nation anthems glorify war. But I don't think it neccesarily glorifys war. bombs bursting in air always kinda reminded me off the terror of a shelling but also after all that is over the relief and happieness when you see the american flag there waving proudly. I think its very powerful.

Last edited:
Jesus christ man, who cares if it glorifies war. It was written during war you nimrods. Get over yourselves. If you think we should change the anthem casue it notioned bombs bursting then mabe we should take every war-like line out of the english languahe too.

For god sakes the arguments I see sometimes just makes me wonder:shock:

Liberals and other wimps don't like the Star Spangled Banner because its too violent ,They don'tlike the runners up for National Anthem because they mention God. In England hey have the same kind of People.Though they don't want to Change the natioal anthem .Its runner up , a sng I think is called Land of Faith and Glory is a bit nationalistic and the liberals edit it at times

JOHNYJ said:
Liberals and other wimps don't like the Star Spangled Banner because its too violent ,They don'tlike the runners up for National Anthem because they mention God. In England hey have the same kind of People.Though they don't want to Change the natioal anthem .Its runner up , a sng I think is called Land of Faith and Glory is a bit nationalistic and the liberals edit it at times

For some reason there are people in America that would like to change or ignore our history because it was to violent, racist, religious or what not (examples: taking "in God we trust" off our money, taking "one nation under God" out of our pledge, or in this case changing the national anthem because they see it as violent). This is our history, good or bad. If we choose to go the revisionist route where are we going to end up? Do people realy think that if we come up with some warm and fuzzy anthem that the world is going to magicly turn into a better place over night?
Leave our history alone, let our past be an example of what can be done and what is needed to get there. Let it also remind us of what has gone wrong so we do not let that same wrong be happen again.

Seriously, freaking libs I swear to god, why dont we change all of our history becasue it mentions violence in it? Lets just forget about hitler and all of the rest of the bad things that happened becasue its about war.

I swear man if I ever met a guy with such an argument I would pull out a can of Patton woopass on him. :rofl

I say dont change it.

The only ones who want to change it are the fundies. They figure it would be another step towards a Baptist version of Iran.

This liberal is inspired in the depths of my heart by the Start Spangled Banner. I am not a pacifist, and believe some wars are definitely worth fighting, and those wars deserve a glorified memory. The Star Spangled Banner is about the metaphor behind the struggle of war... adversity tries to grind you down, all can seem hopeless at times. But no, you see a symbol of hope and overcome... THAT is what this country is about. Indomitable spirit. Something we can all be inspired by.

If ever we change it, especially to some namby pampy idiotic tune like "God Bless America", I will have confirmation that I am no longer a true American. Americans seem already to be shifting away from the ideals on which this country was founded. I was raised to believe certain things about America and Americans that were shared by nearly all, whatever our political stripe, whatever our religious persuasion. These days a vocal portion of my countrymen seem bent only on finding ways around those ideals, around fundamental liberty. These people, with such delicate sensibilities, want to control everyone else. If they succeed, I will lose my Americanness, not because I have changed, but because Americans have changed. If I cannot believe that I share fundamental solidarity with my fellows, then I am, by all definitions that matter, no longer a patriot. No one is, because we no longer have a basic shared goal.

Dezaad said:
This liberal is inspired in the depths of my heart by the Start Spangled Banner. I am not a pacifist, and believe some wars are definitely worth fighting, and those wars deserve a glorified memory. The Star Spangled Banner is about the metaphor behind the struggle of war... adversity tries to grind you down, all can seem hopeless at times. But no, you see a symbol of hope and overcome... THAT is what this country is about. Indomitable spirit. Something we can all be inspired by.

If ever we change it, especially to some namby pampy idiotic tune like "God Bless America", I will have confirmation that I am no longer a true American. Americans seem already to be shifting away from the ideals on which this country was founded. I was raised to believe certain things about America and Americans that were shared by nearly all, whatever our political stripe, whatever our religious persuasion. These days a vocal portion of my countrymen seem bent only on finding ways around those ideals, around fundamental liberty. These people, with such delicate sensibilities, want to control everyone else. If they succeed, I will lose my Americanness, not because I have changed, but because Americans have changed. If I cannot believe that I share fundamental solidarity with my fellows, then I am, by all definitions that matter, no longer a patriot. No one is, because we no longer have a basic shared goal.

:bravo:
Now that is something to agree with, we may not see eye to eye on every issue, but damn it we believe in America.

I love this guy. :2wave:

Old and wise said:
Every time I hear 'bombs bursting in air' I think this is the most rediculous anthem I ever heard. We are glorifying war.

How about 'Amercia the beautiful'? That is what our country is really about.
Of course this would not fit well with the aggresive neo-con crowd.

Its not glorifying war, its glorifiying the cause that the war was faught for. It is talking about how brave men died defending the ideals of this country. Its about how a fort withstood the onslot of cannon fire and continued asault all night. It was written to commemerate a hard faught battle for freedom not to glorify the death and violence, or even the war itself.

Dezaad said:

I am moved. This guy is more than good hes greeeat

SKILMATIC said:
Jesus christ man, who cares if it glorifies war. It was written during war you nimrods. Get over yourselves. If you think we should change the anthem casue it notioned bombs bursting then mabe we should take every war-like line out of the english languahe too.

For god sakes the arguments I see sometimes just makes me wonder:shock:
aaaaaaa you sad war we're going to have to erase you. O no i said it, i feel myself being edited out!

Its he militarism of the STAR SPANGLED BANNER that upsets liberals and leftists,but. As I have said befor the two songs most
mentioned in some circles to replace it.Have that word that scares liberls a lot,GOD. In fact if you watch some sporting events .You'd think GOD BLESS AMERICA was our national anthem .Well , proper patriotic behaviour was never something sporting events were known for.

Back
Top Bottom