• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Mexican Presidenté does a weird Roman/Hitler salute when swearing in

dirtpoorchris

King of Videos
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

I think I've seen this salute somewhere before....

Imagine if it had been Trump that did this instead... (Instant Impeachment)

He is imitating putting his hand on the bible as part of swearing an oath

Apart from what was pointed out, does anyone actually know if there's some tradition about Mexican presidents being sworn in that dictates or suggests something like this?

It may predate Hitler, it doesn't predate the Roman Republic

Apart from what was pointed out, does anyone actually know if there's some tradition about Mexican presidents being sworn in that dictates or suggests something like this?

Yes, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Mexico

"Oath of office[edit]

"Upon taking office, the President raises his/her right arm to shoulder-level and takes the following oath:

"Protesto guardar y hacer guardar la Constitución Política de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos y las leyes que de ella emanen, y desempeñar leal y patrióticamente el cargo de Presidente de la República que el pueblo me ha conferido, mirando en todo por el bien y prosperidad de la Unión; y si así no lo hiciere que la Nación me lo demande."

(My emphasis - the translation of the oath is @ the URL above)

& presidente doesn't need an accent, the accented syllable falls naturally (by Spanish phonic rules) on the second-to-last syllable. Good work getting the correct accent into the title, though.

As for the salute - people reciting the US Pledge of Allegiance before 1942CE or so gave a similar salute, as memory serves. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

"Salute[edit]

"Children performing the Bellamy salute to the flag of the United States, 1941.

"Swearing of the Pledge is accompanied by a salute. An early version of the salute, adopted in 1887, known as the Balch Salute, which accompanied the Balch pledge, instructed students to stand with their right hand outstretched toward the flag, the fingers of which are then brought to the forehead, followed by being placed flat over the heart, and finally falling to the side.

"In 1892, Francis Bellamy created what was known as the Bellamy salute. It started with the hand outstretched toward the flag, palm down, and ended with the palm up. Because of the similarity between the Bellamy salute and the Nazi salute, which was adopted in Germany later, the US Congress stipulated that the hand-over-the-heart gesture as the salute to be rendered by civilians during the Pledge of Allegiance and the national anthem in the US would be the salute to replace the Bellamy salute. Removal of the Bellamy salute occurred on December 22, 1942, when Congress amended the Flag Code language first passed into law on June 22, 1942.[33]"

(My emphasis - more @ the URL)

& so it goes ...

Re: It may predate Hitler, it doesn't predate the Roman Republic

<studied decimation of OP's complaint snipped>

Yeah, something like that is what I was thinking of. Thanks, heh.

How about that, huh?

Re: It may predate Hitler, it doesn't predate the Roman Republic

So THAT'S what those kids in Wisconsin were doing! The photographer was just telling them to pretend they were being sworn in as the President of Mexico. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom