• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Member - economics background

David G

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I'm trying this forum for the first time. I come looking for informed debate on economics, politics, religion, and current events. My undergraduate work was in general economics. Graduate work in economic development and economic history. Liberal leaning, but coming from a rural, redneck, libertarian upbringing.

So... is this the right place for informed debate? Or, does all discussion here devolve into partisan True Believers bickering about minutae... as I've seen on other forums, and as was the case on the first thread I opened here?

Hey, welcome to the forums! 😃

And I don't know if this is the place for informed debate, but we still have very interesting discussions here. But a lot of times they get heated. But honestly, these forums are worth a try.

Hey, welcome to the forums! ��

And I don't know if this is the place for informed debate, but we still have very interesting discussions here. But a lot of times they get heated. But honestly, these forums are worth a try.

Welcome to DP.

I'd have to agree with the above. Generally speaking, pretty good discussions here, and not so much bomb throwing (but some occasionally).

I'm trying this forum for the first time. I come looking for informed debate on economics, politics, religion, and current events. My undergraduate work was in general economics. Graduate work in economic development and economic history. Liberal leaning, but coming from a rural, redneck, libertarian upbringing.

So... is this the right place for informed debate? Or, does all discussion here devolve into partisan True Believers bickering about minutae... as I've seen on other forums, and as was the case on the first thread I opened here?

Welcome!

Some will inevitably devolve into a disaster, but mixed in is plenty of good discussion on economics. There is a fairly diverse group here with plenty willing to discuss economics at a level of detail enough for you to appreciate.

Stay with it, you'll see plenty willing to engage in the discussion for the intention of informed debate.

Welcome! I encourage you to hop into the government spending/economics debates for a good time!

the good:
for the most part, using an even hand, this is a well moderated forum
there is a large number of very bright members. many of them with a strong bent toward things economic
most show up in good humor and are well intended
there is an "ignore" option available for those who are not among those described above

the bad:
threads often devolve when partisans show up moving the discussion away from the topic towards an ideological view
those same forum members tend not to be very bright nor well informed
some forums are fights waiting to happen. abortion, religion, guns, and the middle east sub-forums are the most vile of these. caution when entering the middle east forum because there are martial laws imposed, which arbitrary restrictions limit the criticism of a particular perspective

the ugly:
stick around long enough and you will be invited to see it

the best political forum i have found. also among the best sites on the internet
read and heed the posted terms of use
and welcome aboard

Thanks all for the welcome and the encouragement.

I shall not give up hastily.

I think you will enjoy it here, irregardless of your ideological bent. Economics should just be about numbers, but we know that there is a great deal more to it than that. Metals, gov'ts, manipulated markets by gov'ts or big money, debt, confidence, et al. Grand, don't ya' know?

Welcome. You should like it here - it's a real picnic. It has ants, too. Wouldn't be a picnic without 'em.

Informed? Hmmm.....yeah, it's pretty informed. Some of us are more informed than others. You will see who they are soon enough. Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom