• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New medical marijuana policy issued

Kernel Sanders

Norville Rogers
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Source [Yahoo! News (AP) | New medical marijuana policy issued]

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration will not seek to arrest medical marijuana users and suppliers as long as they conform to state laws, under new policy guidelines to be sent to federal prosecutors Monday.

Two Justice Department officials described the new policy to The Associated Press, saying prosecutors will be told it is not a good use of their time to arrest people who use or provide medical marijuana in strict compliance with state laws.

This is definitely one policy that should be decided on the state level rather than the federal level. I see no federal interest in the matter, so it makes no sense to fight the states if they feel strongly enough to disobey the DEA. It's not every day that you see the federal government give up some authority, and I'm glad that Obama made this decision

With this historical news, it is a glorious new day here in America! :applaud This is the next logical step to a nationwide repeal of marijuana laws. Let's all meet at 420........! :cool:

This is definitely one policy that should be decided on the state level rather than the federal level. I see no federal interest in the matter, so it makes no sense to fight the states if they feel strongly enough to disobey the DEA. It's not every day that you see the federal government give up some authority, and I'm glad that Obama made this decision

I was just reading about this. They also said in the NY Times article:

In particular, the memo urges prosecutors to pursue marijuana cases which involve violence, the illegal use of firearms, selling pot to minors, money laundering or other crimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/10/18/us/AP-US-Medical-Marijuana.html?_r=1

It's good to see the Government acting sensibly about medical marijuana.

This won't do anything though. The next admin can change it back. The power needs to be removed from the Federal government. This is a State issue and needs to be handled on the State level.

Can't we just legalize pot already? Seriously.

Can't we just legalize pot already? Seriously.

I'm sure it will happen sometime in the future. The problem is, far too many people (particularly those in Washington) are irrationally terrified about the effects of marijuana and what would happen if it were legalized.

This won't do anything though. The next admin can change it back. The power needs to be removed from the Federal government. This is a State issue and needs to be handled on the State level.

Very true. This was a policy decision and not a real solution to the problem. As was pointed out in the other thread, it is legally dubious in addition to being weak. However, I do not believe there is anywhere near the political support, to say nothing about political will, to implement a real legislative solution. We need to take what we can get, though, and this was as strong and as bold a move as I think is possible right now.

This was the first thing I thought when I read it. It has no permanency.

Oh no, we're one step closer to the apocalypse! Pretty soon we're all going to be worshiping the pagan false idol of the golden calf! BE AFRAID!

Damn hippies and peaceniks.:mrgreen:

This was the first thing I thought when I read it. It has no permanency.

It doesn't have permanency but at least the compass is pointing in the right direction, yes?

I look at steps like this as the necessary baby steps one has to take before learning to run. I believe we'll get to the right place eventually but at baby step paces.

:2wave:

You know, if you're going to be logically consistent, then you must also reject Federal oversight of food quality, air quality, water quality and pharmaceutical quality in any case where the several States feel strongly.

I'd also remark that once upon a time in the South, our ancestors had strong feelings about certain economic issues relating to the status of persons of African descent. I assume that you can now see the justice of the Confederate cause?

I mean if it's all about feelings, then we can justify whatever we like, no?

Last edited:
You don't choose to eat. You don't choose to drink water. You don't choose to drink air. It is your choice to take drugs. It's as simple as that.

You don't choose to eat. You don't choose to drink water. You don't choose to drink air. It is your choice to take drugs. It's as simple as that.

And unless you are violating someone else's rights, it should also be your right to smoke pot.

And honestly, I am surprised that this is happening under a Democratic administration, especially one that is taxing tobacco up the wazoo in an attempt to make it permanently unavailable. While Republican administrations have violated Constitutional principles repeatedly, the Democrats have always tried to be nannies, trying to protect us from ourselves. God save us from Democrats and Republicans.

Not quite.

I choose what to eat, what to drink (water only in a crisis,) and which drugs to take.

Try again.

You know, if you're going to be logically consistent, then you must also reject Federal oversight of food quality, air quality, water quality and pharmaceutical quality in any case where the several States feel strongly.

If the States were fighting the Fed on these matters as strongly as they are on medical marijuana I would. In practical terms I think that most of these things should be handled on a national level. If state oversight over food quality replaced federal oversight it would exponentially increase the burden on food producers with a national market. It would be very bad for business and offer no practical benefits. If a state had a reason to buck federal control and was receiving the kind of belligerence that there has been against medical marijuana practices (raiding restaurants everywhere to harass people following state rather than federal policies) I would probably support them. There is very dubious legal grounding for that sort of federal oversight (whether or not you agree with it, the argument can be made over the "general welfare" clause), but I'm a pragmatist, not an idealist, and I lose no sleep over federal water quality regulations. The states are in the right on that argument, however, and if they want to make it I will generally support them. A good example is current scuffle between Montana and the ATF. I don't really care about gun control (though I generally don't support it), but I support Montana's efforts to implement their own policies whether or not they conflict with federal regulations

]I'd also remark that once upon a time in the South, our ancestors had strong feelings about certain economic issues relating to the status of persons of African descent. I assume that you can now see the justice of the Confederate cause?

Slavery was about racism and greed. If you were to say that American ideals support the South's position I'll point you to the second sentence of the Declaration of Independence, because you would be wrong.

I mean if it's all about feelings, then we can justify whatever we like, no?

Uhhhh...what? Was this supposed to be in response to something I posted or just a clumsy attempt to avoid debate by painting my position as emotional?

Not quite.

I choose what to eat, what to drink (water only in a crisis,) and which drugs to take.

Try again.
Uh, that's cool. Do you choose what air to breathe as well? I think it's pretty telling that you didn't include that in your list. Water, air, and food are necessities and therefore need to be regulated for quality. Anyway I don't actually disagree with you since I think that drugs should be regulated, I just don't think you're making any kind of logical point and are just spouting nonsense.

True, its not permanent, but it is a step in the right direction. And I have to give kudos to Obama for taking that first step. In my more hopeful moments, I think this might be the first step towards re-evaluating our disasterous national drug policy, but then the hardened cynic in me takes over. Still, good call on Obama's part and I do hope it will lead to more lasting changes regarding medical marijuana and drug policy in general.

It doesn't have permanency but at least the compass is pointing in the right direction, yes?

I look at steps like this as the necessary baby steps one has to take before learning to run. I believe we'll get to the right place eventually but at baby step paces.

:2wave:

A baby step forward and then a baby step backward still has a net effect of not much change at all.

It's just like the abstinence-only education funding policy. The Democrats overturn it when they're in power, then the Republicans reinstate it when they come to power. It never ends.

This is a victory for pot-heads in 14 states, with minor ailments that are used to justify smoking marijuana. :2razz:

Seriously though, its good to see an administration that isn't going to pursue this, and overstep its bounds in regards to decisions that states make(in this instance).

Uh, that's cool. Do you choose what air to breathe as well? I think it's pretty telling that you didn't include that in your list. Water, air, and food are necessities and therefore need to be regulated for quality. Anyway I don't actually disagree with you since I think that drugs should be regulated, I just don't think you're making any kind of logical point and are just spouting nonsense.
Sorry, I assumed that you'd think. I choose to live in Alaska, with far better air quality that you are likley to have access to.

Yes, and Alaska sucks. What's your point? If you want to live in the city, you have to breathe in polluted air. You really have no choice as to what the quality of your air is because it's affixed to certain geographical areas. Of course you could always say that you could choose to live in a different area, but that's hardly a solution or a choice.

Everyone who agrees with this is a pot smoker. Shame on all of you.

Back
Top Bottom