• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Mattress Advice

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hey guys.

so as I understand the mattress industry is a bit of a weird one and mattresses tend to be one of the most overmarked items in terms of furniture in the whole house.

so with that in mind, the mattress we’ve been using for years which we got from someone else moving out of their place lead us to a realization.

we’ve never actually bought one before.

anyone any recommendations or tips.

theres so many styles and materials now.

Hey guys.

so as I understand the mattress industry is a bit of a weird one and mattresses tend to be one of the most overmarked items in terms of furniture in the whole house.

so with that in mind, the mattress we’ve been using for years which we got from someone else moving out of their place lead us to a realization.

A king size is worth the extra cost. I don't know anything about the other features but I know the king size bed we bought a couple years ago was money well spent. For one thing, it's longer as well as wider and I'm nearly 6'7".
Tell your wife it's not just a bed, it's a playground. She'll be on the same page in no time.

A king size is worth the extra cost. I don't know anything about the other features but I know the king size bed we bought a couple years ago was money well spent. For one thing, it's longer as well as wider and I'm nearly 6'7".
Tell your wife it's not just a bed, it's a playground. She'll be on the same page in no time.

Comey, is that you?!?

We bought a cheap memory foam mattress for 700, then bought a sealy 3 in mattress topper.

Been sleeping good on it for about 5 years now.

Hey guys.

Grand Mal is correct - get a king size.
The box springs are 2 Twin XLs next to each other.
We replaced our king several months ago.
Best deal was at Menards for mattress and box springs.

We got one of those mattresses in a box things about five years ago, Leesa, IIRC.

Been sleeping fine.....king size.

wife or girlfriend?

Hey guys.

If there is a chain called "Mattress Firm" in your area be advised that they DO negotiate. My experience with them was something like dealing with a sleazy used car salesman. If there is a Denver Mattress in your area they tend to put out a good product at a fair price. If you want to save a few bucks then ask if they have any mismatched sets. A bed skirt cures a mismatched box spring.

The ke to the life of a mattress is the quality of the foam they use. There is no good way to tell exactly what is in a given mattress and mattresses of the same brand will use different foams and tickings. Ask the salesperson to explain the differences. A more knowledgeable salesperson is a good indication that the product they are selling is good. If you want to skip ALL the bull**** and aren't too particular about what you're buying then go to Costco and buy a Sealy. Sealy makes decent mattresses and you will have a decent idea of what you'll get. They're like the 5 Guys Hamburgers of mattresses.

The best way to check out a mattress is to lie down on it.

We always get king sized mattresses even though our bedroom is small. Recently bought a Sleep Number bed, the basic 'value' model. It was expensive, but we haven't been that happy with our mattresses for years. Way back in the day, when you could flip your mattress, we had a Serta titanium mattress that was great, firm and light weight. Looking back we should have just kept it, but we had it for years and thought there was something better out there...there wasn't.

The Sleep Number is good, but one drawback. It is two air bags basically surrounded by foam edges that is zipped tight into a mattress cover that holds it all together. So, if you want to pull it off the base and set in on it's side, like lean it against a wall, you can't really do that. So far, going by comfort and sleep, we like it.

If there is a chain called "Mattress Firm" in your area be advised that they DO negotiate. My experience with them was something like dealing with a sleazy used car salesman. If there is a Denver Mattress in your area they tend to put out a good product at a fair price. If you want to save a few bucks then ask if they have any mismatched sets. A bed skirt cures a mismatched box spring.

The ke to the life of a mattress is the quality of the foam they use. There is no good way to tell exactly what is in a given mattress and mattresses of the same brand will use different foams and tickings. Ask the salesperson to explain the differences. A more knowledgeable salesperson is a good indication that the product they are selling is good. If you want to skip ALL the bull**** and aren't too particular about what you're buying then go to Costco and buy a Sealy. Sealy makes decent mattresses and you will have a decent idea of what you'll get. They're like the 5 Guys Hamburgers of mattresses.

Greasy?

We got one of those sleep number mattresses- with each side of the bed independently adjustable. Been very happy with it. Nice thing about it is even the same person can be in different moods for how firm they want it on any given day. With these things, no problem.

We got one of those sleep number mattresses- with each side of the bed independently adjustable. Been very happy with it. Nice thing about it is even the same person can be in different moods for how firm they want it on any given day. With these things, no problem.

Me and the missus were on our way back to the US after a trip and we stayed at an airport hotel for the next days flight. I think it was Rome. The hotel advertised all Sleep Number beds and we were in the market for a replacement mattress. We got to the room and I checked the bed first thing. My side was deflated and the control would not change the firmness; we called the front desk and after a while a staff member was dispatched to the room to fix the bed. He removed the sheets and went to work. The bed consisted of foam surrounding two plastic bladders. Long story........he was unable to fix the bed and I had one of the worst nights sleep on record. If you look at a Sleep Number bed, make sure that they remove the sheets and cover and take a look at what you are buying......

Mattresses are marked up more than Las Vegas call girls on Superbowl Sunday in Vegas.

A Sealy or Serta firm to extra firm from Costco or Sam's club are just fine. You could replace them every 5-6 years cheaper than some over rated marked up mattress you buy at a mattress store or other dept store.

I prefer queen size or full size mattress/box sets in our house. We don't need a lot of bed "real estate" filling up a room. And besides, once you start pricing quality sheets and covers the king or California King sheet sets are exponential more expensive. To me spending money on 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheet seems to make me sleep better than anything else.

Hey guys.

Do not buy a pillow top mattress. You can't flip them.

Edit: I measure the depth you want your bed to be. It takes a bucket truck to get in my bed because somebody decided getting the tallest mattress and box springs they had was a good idea for a bed that already set well off the ground.

Me and the missus were on our way back to the US after a trip and we stayed at an airport hotel for the next days flight. I think it was Rome. The hotel advertised all Sleep Number beds and we were in the market for a replacement mattress. We got to the room and I checked the bed first thing. My side was deflated and the control would not change the firmness; we called the front desk and after a while a staff member was dispatched to the room to fix the bed. He removed the sheets and went to work. The bed consisted of foam surrounding two plastic bladders. Long story........he was unable to fix the bed and I had one of the worst nights sleep on record. If you look at a Sleep Number bed, make sure that they remove the sheets and cover and take a look at what you are buying......

Wow, sorry to hear that. We've had ours for a few years and they have been working great.

I started out at 35 and went up to 60 so far, been liking 50 or 55, but not likely going to stay with any set number. Like you said, sometimes we may be in the mood for firmer or softer.

Wow, they just should have given you a different room with a bed that was not faulty.

Hey guys.

A lot depends upon your preferences.

Do you prefer extra firm; firm; medium; soft; or extra soft?

Do you prefer a coil-spring mattress; a foam-rubber mattress; or something else?

Note: Be sure to check out just what the price includes. Does it include delivery? Once they are there, does it include set-up?

Some places advertise mattresses at a low-ball price--but unless you have a pickup truck handy (to put it in); you can get it in the house; and you can then set it up; it is really misleading.

Back
Top Bottom