• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Mass Grave Found Near Kyiv After Russian Forces Withdrew, Ukrainian Official Says

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

1649590298-0689.jpg

Civilian bodies discovered in a mass grave in Buzova, Ukraine after Russian military forces pulled out.

A Ukrainian official said a mass grave containing dozens of bodies of civilians has been found in the village of Buzova near Kyiv, the latest mass grave to be discovered after Russian forces withdrew from areas north of the capital. Taras Didych, head of the Dmytrivka community that includes Buzova, said the bodies were found in a pit near a gas station. Bodies had also been discovered in a dozen shelled cars on a major road that goes through Buzova, he said. The report could not be immediately confirmed. "Now we are returning to life, but during the occupation we had our hot spots. Many civilians died," Didych told Ukrainian television late on April 9. Russian forces recently withdrew from the area around Kyiv after spending the first several weeks of the war trying unsuccessfully to besiege the city.

War crimes are the norm for the Russian military.

Civilian bodies discovered in a mass grave in Buzova, Ukraine after Russian military forces pulled out.

War crimes are the norm for the Russian military.
I tried to locate Buzova on the excellent map you posted (and I printed) but it wasn't on it. I see, now, that Buzova was just a village. I am so sorry.

Militarism is a crime.

Update on the news:

"Photographs from the Ukrainian village of Buzova make up a tableau of horrific images: charred corpses strewn across the road, mangled bodies piled on top of each other, one man lying in a field with a bullet in his head.

Together, the images confirm the accounts of local Ukrainians who say that Russian forces killed as many as 50 civilians as they tried to flee fighting northwest of Kyiv last month. The bodies lay along or near the M06 highway, which runs west from Kyiv,the capital, to the city of Zhytomyr.

The scene, another potential example of Russian war crimes, was found 17 miles from Bucha, a suburb of Kyiv where Russian soldiers killed hundreds of civilians during their occupation before pulling out of the area last week.

'I now call it the road of death,' said Taras Didych, the mayor of the district, Dmytrivka, where most of the bodies were found. The highway strings together the towns and villages that were recently retaken from Russian forces, who were pushed back and retreated after their failed attempt to take the capital. 'We are just coming back to life,' he said.
Mr. Didych shared the grim findings he encountered when he returned to the road last week.

'Some were burned. Others had their hands tied. Others were shot in the head outside their cars,' Mr. Didych said. Those descriptions corresponded to images he shared with The New York Times that Mr. Didych said he had taken on his phone at the scene.

Most of the bodies appear to have been shot and burned, either because the vehicles they were riding in caught fire, or because the cars were intentionally torched.
'They were trying to flee,' Mr. Didych said. 'Some could not manage to make it.'

Mr. Didych said it wasn’t clear when the killings took place, or if they had all happened at the same time. He said it was more likely that Russian forces killed families intermittently as they tried to escape their homes during the month that invading troops occupied this strip of territory outside of Kyiv.

Most of the dead were found near a hotel called Babushkin Sad, or Granny’s Garden, between the towns of Mriia and Myla, whose names in Ukrainian mean 'dream' and 'pleasant village,' the mayor said.

'My heart was bleeding,' he said when he discovered the scene on the road. 'This may have been the worst experience of my life.'
Two other bodies, which the mayor said were Ukrainian soldiers, were found in a grave dug outside a nearby gas station. They were still wearing their uniforms, he said.
The mayor said that as of Sunday, 60 bodies had been found in his district, which includes 14 villages. Russian forces had destroyed at least 60 private homes and three supermarkets, as well as other as municipal water tanks and an ambulance facility, he added."

Back
Top Bottom