• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Laughable Alberta Education Curriculum Leaks

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So it looks like the new curriculum for Alberta schools has leaked and it is laughable insane.

It is like the ramblings of a lunatic. I don't think these "experts" have ever even met a child, let alone know what they should learn. I am surprised they don't want to start teaching calculus in Grade 2. This just sounds like lawsuits waiting to happen.

The UCP government just seems to be trying its hardest to undermine public services in the least subtle way possible. First healthcare, now education.

Sounds like they're trying to indoctrinate the kids at a young age.

Wait until college age at least, where the students can make up their own minds.

Wow! Those are going to be some mixed-up kids in 20 years. No doubt many of them will end up as educational consultants! It's time to rethink and rebuild public education from kindergarten up. Most kids can learn a lot more than what schools are teaching them these days. Raise expectations, raise standards, student accountability, parent accountability, teacher accountability and school administration accountability. Geet'er dun!

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

It probably won't last. Through the years, schools all over the country have tried things like this, and tests indicated they simply didn't work. As far back as the sixties and seventies, school systems tried things like outdoor classrooms, student-taught classes, "teach only when questioned by a student," etc., and they eventually fall back into the standard methods and subjects that have been going on for a hundred years or more.

Wow! Those are going to be some mixed-up kids in 20 years. No doubt many of them will end up as educational consultants! It's time to rethink and rebuild public education from kindergarten up. Most kids can learn a lot more than what schools are teaching them these days. Raise expectations, raise standards, student accountability, parent accountability, teacher accountability and school administration accountability. Geet'er dun!

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
One Reddit post I saw said they are just trying to get more Conservative voters for the future.

One Reddit post I saw said they are just trying to get more Conservative voters for the future.

Hard to say,

It looks like a mishmash of subjects

The strangest to me is the learning about modern art in grade 1, ignoring Residential schools while learning about Chinese dynasties.

The two aspects that pander to UCP voters would be ignoring residential schools and the read bible verses as poetry

I have no idea why they would want to teach that a majority of non white Albertans are Christian (which I dont believe is true, depending on the size of the Phillipino pop)

Hard to say,

It looks like a mishmash of subjects

The strangest to me is the learning about modern art in grade 1, ignoring Residential schools while learning about Chinese dynasties.

The two aspects that pander to UCP voters would be ignoring residential schools and the read bible verses as poetry

I have no idea why they would want to teach that a majority of non white Albertans are Christian (which I dont believe is true, depending on the size of the Phillipino pop)
That is part of the reason I said it seems like they have never even met a child. Because as we all know 7 year olds make great fine arts students and can understand complex and often violent power structures from the history of a country they know probably little to nothing about and have no cultural reference point for. Canadian history I am sure would be too relevant and depressing.

Back
Top Bottom