• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Jersey Supreme Court Tells Judge He Has to Choose Between His Jobs.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
Judge Vince Sicari never cracked racy jokes from the bench. But he told them on stage and on TV shows — and that was too much for the New Jersey Supreme Court, which told Sicari on Thursday that he had to choose between his two jobs.

13442566-large.jpg

The Supreme Court made the right call. For judges, the appearance of impropriety is as bad as the real thing. And Sicari’s act — in which he often poked fun at minorities, women and kids — could easily appear improper.

Wearing a judge’s robes requires a measure of decorum. An act that pokes fun at overweight women and “creepy” kids, not to mention jibes at ethnic and religious groups, might make it hard to take Judge Sicari seriously. Worse, it could lead some to believe they’re not getting a fair shake in his courtroom.....snip~

Bergen judge's comedy sideshow no laughing matter: Editorial | NJ.com

Interesting.....should an individual who works as a municipal judge making 13k a year. Not be allowed to have a Job due to the sake of Appearances? Especially when the Municipal job isn't enough to live on. So now that they can rule against a judge for being a Comic. What about a Dj in a Strip Club? What about a Clerk selling Alcohol and Cigarettes? A Clerk for a Adult bookstore? What about as a Professional heckler? Thought upon the matter.

They made the right call. If he cracks a joke aimed at hispanics during his routine, what is to stop a Hispanic defendant from claiming discrimination? Being a judge isn't a position where one can say "It was just a joke" and have it be acceptable.

Judge Vince Sicari never cracked racy jokes from the bench. But he told them on stage and on TV shows — and that was too much for the New Jersey Supreme Court, which told Sicari on Thursday that he had to choose between his two jobs.

13442566-large.jpg

The Supreme Court made the right call. For judges, the appearance of impropriety is as bad as the real thing. And Sicari’s act — in which he often poked fun at minorities, women and kids — could easily appear improper.

Wearing a judge’s robes requires a measure of decorum. An act that pokes fun at overweight women and “creepy” kids, not to mention jibes at ethnic and religious groups, might make it hard to take Judge Sicari seriously. Worse, it could lead some to believe they’re not getting a fair shake in his courtroom.....snip~

Bergen judge's comedy sideshow no laughing matter: Editorial | NJ.com

Interesting.....should an individual who works as a municipal judge making 13k a year. Not be allowed to have a Job due to the sake of Appearances? Especially when the Municipal job isn't enough to live on. So now that they can rule against a judge for being a Comic. What about a Dj in a Strip Club? What about a Clerk selling Alcohol and Cigarettes? A Clerk for a Adult bookstore? What about as a Professional heckler? Thought upon the matter.

They said that he makes 13k $ a year because that's his part time job, not a full-time judge. Now I don't know what that means... part time judge. Never heard of such things before.

So I shall say what I have to say under the hypothetical case of a full time job without financial restraints.

There are jobs in the world that need you to behave a certain way in your personal life. take certain sacrifices. You cannot be a cop or a judge for instance, or any member of law enforcement, and then go out and have a beer with your friends if those friends are known people of the criminal fraternity. You cannot go and behave in a way that is unfit of the uniform you wear at work too. So yeah. Maybe in this hypothetical scenario, I would say that it is wrong for the judge to have 2 jobs, one of them being a comedian... especially if his material is influenced from his work life.

They made the right call. If he cracks a joke aimed at hispanics during his routine, what is to stop a Hispanic defendant from claiming discrimination? Being a judge isn't a position where one can say "It was just a joke" and have it be acceptable.

I think he handled Speeding Tickets and parking citations.....so as a citizen then how is he free to do as he chooses when it isn't against the law?

They said that he makes 13k $ a year because that's his part time job, not a full-time judge. Now I don't know what that means... part time judge. Never heard of such things before.

So I shall say what I have to say under the hypothetical case of a full time job without financial restraints.

There are jobs in the world that need you to behave a certain way in your personal life. take certain sacrifices. You cannot be a cop or a judge for instance, or any member of law enforcement, and then go out and have a beer with your friends if those friends are known people of the criminal fraternity. You cannot go and behave in a way that is unfit of the uniform you wear at work too. So yeah. Maybe in this hypothetical scenario, I would say that it is wrong for the judge to have 2 jobs, one of them being a comedian... especially if his material is influenced from his work life.

Here is some more on it RM. ;)

Sicari, 43, said he would respond to the decision later Thursday. He attempted to appeal a 2008 state ethics committee ruling that said he can't continue working as a paid entertainer while working part-time in court, dealing with traffic ticket cases and disorderly persons offenses.

Sicari had argued through his attorney E. Drew Britcher in February to the Supreme Court that the public should not have any problem separating his role as a comedian/actor and a judge.

"He is doing something that we all in society should try to be able to distinguish," Britcher told the justices in February, according to the Star-Ledger. "Certainly, as we all watched the Oscars Sunday evening, I doubt many of us think the various actors and actresses who won awards for their roles were expressing something that was an individual expression of their own but rather the result of a script."

The state's deputy attorney general Kim Ringler argued that Sicari, who is a regular on the ABC hidden-camera series "What Would You Do?" creates a confusing persona for people who recognize him on the bench.....snip~

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Officials Force 'Joking' Judge to Pick Between Comedic Pursuits, Job
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Here is some more on it RM. ;)

Sicari, 43, said he would respond to the decision later Thursday. He attempted to appeal a 2008 state ethics committee ruling that said he can't continue working as a paid entertainer while working part-time in court, dealing with traffic ticket cases and disorderly persons offenses.

Sicari had argued through his attorney E. Drew Britcher in February to the Supreme Court that the public should not have any problem separating his role as a comedian/actor and a judge.

"He is doing something that we all in society should try to be able to distinguish," Britcher told the justices in February, according to the Star-Ledger. "Certainly, as we all watched the Oscars Sunday evening, I doubt many of us think the various actors and actresses who won awards for their roles were expressing something that was an individual expression of their own but rather the result of a script."

The state's deputy attorney general Kim Ringler argued that Sicari, who is a regular on the ABC hidden-camera series "What Would You Do?" creates a confusing persona for people who recognize him on the bench.....snip~

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Officials Force 'Joking' Judge to Pick Between Comedic Pursuits, Job
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

I have to agree with Rainman.

In certain jobs, one has to maintain a certain level of decorum, and in accepting a job like that, they have accept that fact that certain things are going to be considered 'unprofessional'.

Just as with my job (not a judge, but a representative of a rather well known local business man) going out and getting smashed at a bar is not acceptable professional conduct. Once would be considered a mistake. Twice, I'm on thin ice.

Considering his jokes could be used as a reflection against him in court, he best make a choice between the two.

I have to agree with Rainman.

In certain jobs, one has to maintain a certain level of decorum, and in accepting a job like that, they have accept that fact that certain things are going to be considered 'unprofessional'.

Just as with my job (not a judge, but a representative of a rather well known local business man) going out and getting smashed at a bar is not acceptable professional conduct. Once would be considered a mistake. Twice, I'm on thin ice.

Considering his jokes could be used as a reflection against him in court, he best make a choice between the two.

Heya GG.
hat.gif
He did.....he gave up the Judgeship. Course we did have a President that was the owner of a Hat Store. Plus one that was an Actor.....Just sayin! :lol: ;)

Heya GG.
hat.gif
He did.....he gave up the Judgeship. Course we did have a President that was the owner of a Hat Store. Plus one that was an Actor.....Just sayin! :lol: ;)
Yeah, but lawyers! We should NEVER have a President who was a lawyer! I mean, just look at the ones who were! Guys like Jefferson, Madison, Jackson, Lincoln, both Roosevelts, JFK, Clinton, Obama!

Okay, Nixon was also a lawyer...

Let me add that I live in New Jersey, and this was the first I'd heard of this case. It isn't even on the Star-Ledger website yet.

Yeah, but lawyers! We should NEVER have a President who was a lawyer! I mean, just look at the ones who were! Guys like Jefferson, Madison, Jackson, Lincoln, both Roosevelts, JFK, Clinton, Obama!

Okay, Nixon was also a lawyer...

Heya Comunitee. :2wave: I could go for no lawyers holding any high offices other than what is dealt with the Judicial.....Lawyers weren't created to lead.
rulez.gif

Btw Welcome to the Forums of Debate Politics.
yo2.gif

Back
Top Bottom