• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Jersey becomes second state in nation to require that schools teach LGBT history

1. The words that I have quoted above were directed to post #3. (Being computer illiterate, I did not know how to quote post #3 in this post. Sorry.)

2. I think that post #3 did raise a serious issue.

3. I have read that some younger gay men are ignorant of the horrors of AIDS (and the other STDs), so they are not "playing safe."

4. I think that health classes in elementary and secondary schools should emphasize to both straight and gay students the importance of preventing disease.

5. I understand that the Red Cross now is accepting blood donations from gay men. Personally, I feel that this is an unwise decision. I believe the Red Cross explains that nowadays there are ways to detect whether there is HIV/AIDS in the blood, but why take any chances?

Being gay is not a risk factor for AIDS/HIV. Promiscuity and unprotected anal sex are. Neither is limited to gays, nor something done by all gays, nor a part of being gay. Actions are a risk, being gay is not.

You did not speak to my question. 50 different states causes great divides. I asked about the danger of these divides.

We really don't have 50 states anymore. Not as envisioned. We more or less have become one huge conglomerate. Where the division is, politically is with regions, not states. The Democrats have their bastion in the Northeast, the west coast and some island states around the great lakes. The Republicans have flyover country as Democrats refer to it.

This ideological division has always been with us. Remember the Northeast started out Federalist, industrial, vs. the more Republican, agricultural south. The Northeast for a much stronger central government, the south for a less powerful central government. This battle of how much power the central government should have over the states has continued on since our formation. Sometime the debate abetted, especially during the cold war in more recent times. Today, it has come to the fore once again. I'm probably wrong using political parties, as they switched their thinking on this a few times.

Even so, the regional differences do exist. It's not a division of 50 states, it's a division of political ideology. One side wants the central government to everything and be responsible for everyone. The other believes more or less in individual responsibility with a lot less government interference in a citizen's daily life. During the cold war, this country took a more middle ground, compromises were worked out and all regions were fairly happy.

Now we don't have that external threat. We're focused more on domestic than foreign. It hasn't helped our two major parties have move further and further left and right expanding that divide. It hasn't helped that in recent history compromise has become a four letter word. It hasn't helped that both major parties have shrunk losing their moderates, the center, center right and center left folks leaving only hard core leftist and rightist.

Now this political battle has always been there, less pronounced at times, but there. We were united more or less during the great depression and WWII. Korea and Vietnam divided us again, while the cold war had a uniting effect. 9-11 give this country only a couple of years of being united, only to fall apart once again as the domestic side regained prominence.

In short, I don't buy the 50 state divide, I do however buy into the two ideological, region divide. Let make that three, the ultra leftists, the ultra rightist and those in-between. We call those in-betweenist, the center, center right and center left, I like the phrase middle America. Most call them independents. A group that has risen from 30% of our electorate to 43% today while the two major parties have shrunk.

The battles we have today is between the ultra's. The hard core of each ideology. That leaves the biggest chunk of Americans scratching their heads wondering what the heck is going on here. You seen the influence of the middle, give congress to the Republicans in 1994 and then the presidency in 2000. Tired and fed up with the rightist philosophy that went too far, the middle gives congress to the Democrats in 2006 and the presidency in 2008. then the left went too far from the middle, in 2010, the house, in 2014 the senate and in 2016 the presidency went Republican. Now the middle is fed up with the right once again, giving the left the house in 2018. Probably the senate and presidency in 2020 to be followed by the reverse again once the leftist gain power and over do it once again.

No, not 50 states against each other. It's two extreme ideologies against each other with those in the middle, the largest group, with no where to go and no political home.

We really don't have 50 states anymore. Not as envisioned.

50 states was not really envisioned. It was a design to compel the wealthy to band together as one nation. This was a way to keep the powerful in power. It's hardly healthy for a nation to have 50 sets of laws and unequal representation. Minority rule is never healthy and that is what this "set up" enables.

The battles we have today is between the ultra's. The hard core of each ideology. That leaves the biggest chunk of Americans scratching their heads wondering what the heck is going on here..

Not really. We have 40% that are insane radical right and 30% who are insane loony left. It's a small chuck of Americans who are left to scratch their heads.

50 states was not really envisioned. It was a design to compel the wealthy to band together as one nation. This was a way to keep the powerful in power. It's hardly healthy for a nation to have 50 sets of laws and unequal representation. Minority rule is never healthy and that is what this "set up" enables.

That isn't going to change. Regardless of an omni powerful central government or a division of governments. The elites will rule. What do we have now, we have both parties owning their hearts and souls to corporations, wall street firms, lobbyist, special interests, mega money donors, etc. We vote for faces controlled by them. One of the wealthy came forth and showed his face in 2016 and won. But we've been ruled by the behind the scenes moneyed elite ever since this country was founded.

Not really. We have 40% that are insane radical right and 30% who are insane loony left. It's a small chuck of Americans who are left to scratch their heads.

I think those in the middle are by far the larger group. If one goes by gallup, as of 10 Jan 2019, Democrats made up 34% of the electorate, Republicans 25% and independents 39%. The wackos are in the two major parties, one trying to drive us to the far right, the other to the far left.

LGBT history is pure pandering. there is no reason to teach history soley about LGBT since it is overall not important to historical understanding.

For example, if Winston Churchill was gay, what do you gain from knowing that versus everything he did to save western civilization?

answer: NOTHING

well, this post would get an F.

You really don't understand the importance of teaching this? You can't be serious.

I think those in the middle are by far the larger group. If one goes by gallup, as of 10 Jan 2019, Democrats made up 34% of the electorate, Republicans 25% and independents 39%. The wackos are in the two major parties, one trying to drive us to the far right, the other to the far left.

Self labeling is very misleading. Because one registrars as an independent has zero to do with how they lean.

You have not noticed? Independent is nothing more than an ego soother for the same dumb slobs.

Wackos are in all 3.

In fact, I'll bet most left loonies are registered as independent.

Registering as independent is rather stupid in reality. It just the nouveau thing to do.

That isn't going to change. Regardless of an omni powerful central government or a division of governments. The elites will rule. What do we have now, we have both parties owning their hearts and souls to corporations, wall street firms, lobbyist, special interests, mega money donors, etc. We vote for faces controlled by them. One of the wealthy came forth and showed his face in 2016 and won. But we've been ruled by the behind the scenes moneyed elite ever since this country was founded.

My point was that the country was set to be ruled by the wealthy, by the wealthy. Hence this ridiculous 50 different states thing.

Self labeling is very misleading. Because one registrars as an independent has zero to do with how they lean.

You have not noticed? Independent is nothing more than an ego soother for the same dumb slobs.

Wackos are in all 3.

In fact, I'll bet most left loonies are registered as independent.

Registering as independent is rather stupid in reality. It just the nouveau thing to do.

Gallup also follows up on that. Gallup usually does this once a month, sometimes twice when an election is close. So as of 10 Jan 2018, 25% Republican, 34% Democrat, independents lean Republican 11%, independents lean Democrat 18%, pure or true independents with no leans 10%.

These figures are dynamic, constantly changing. The shutdown probably hurt the Republicans much more that what we thought. You have the January figures above, the December figures were 26% Republican, 32% Democrat, independents lean Republican 14%, independents lean democratic, 15%, independents no lean 10%.

Party affiliation is a cool stat to have if one is in the business of forecasting election. But its fun to look over to see or catch trends in party affiliation. Here, have at it.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

the above is what I go by, not party registration in the states. That wouldn't do any good in Georgia as we just register to vote, no party.

My point was that the country was set to be ruled by the wealthy, by the wealthy. Hence this ridiculous 50 different states thing.

As long as we're a union of the several states, 50 of them. I don't think it is ridiculous. Perhaps in the future if the big government folks who love centralized power gets their way, then states will be done away. No local government, no governors, no state legislatures, just the president and congress. We've been on that course for quite awhile anyway. The central government taking power from the states, leaving them more and more powerless. I'm sure it will happen.

As long as we're a union of the several states, 50 of them. I don't think it is ridiculous. Perhaps in the future if the big government folks who love centralized power gets their way, then states will be done away. No local government, no governors, no state legislatures, just the president and congress. We've been on that course for quite awhile anyway. The central government taking power from the states, leaving them more and more powerless. I'm sure it will happen.

It would save money and over time build unity.

But, it will never happen.

LGBT history is pure pandering. there is no reason to teach history soley about LGBT since it is overall not important to historical understanding.

For example, if Winston Churchill was gay, what do you gain from knowing that versus everything he did to save western civilization?

answer: NOTHING

Wow this is one of the most ignorant understanding of reality i have ever seen in one post.

to my knowledge it wont be "solely" and learning great people in history are women, men, black, white, christian, muslim, jewish, disabled, straight or gay can be HUGE and LIFE changing to a person who doesn't know that info and thinks that any of those things are inferior or is being taught that historically those things are inferior from other people..

basically it makes history ACCURATE and FACTUAL and gives a person that much more of a change to connect and realate with others through out history, have a role model and help educate then to KNOW they can do that too

It would save money and over time build unity.

But, it will never happen.

I think you're wrong about the unity. Today our differences are basically left/right, conservative vs. liberal. The very liberal northeast and west coast vs. the more conservative south and plain states with the midwest somewhere in the middle. In the future it will be those who follow the central governments dictates and every whim vs. those who rebel against it.

With the power the federal government holds over the states, they're just boundary lines today. We'll have unity more or less when individuals no longer have freedom. When individuals must rely on government for their needs, we are slowly becoming more and more reliant on government and less and less able to take care of ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom