• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New idea for reputation

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The reputation system is good, but I want an incentive for using it.

I am thinking of using a liberal - conservative scale with 0 rep being considered Independant minded. Possibly adding hidden forums for very high rep.

Questions:
-What are your thoughts?
-Would this encourage thought provoking debate?
-Would this charge each against one another in a more negative way that we do not want?

Concerns:
-Liberal point scheme would show up as negative numbers which could create confusion about this forum being unbiased.
-Independant folks would switch back and forth after rep given.
-Would the idea of being auto labled burden the poster to a specific position that he/she may or may not agree with to maintain that rep?

I am not a fan of the reputation system. When you are discussing topics, you win some points, and lose some points. It is part of the debate. I don't post to get a reputation, good or bad. If you wish to encourage good posts, just come out and say "great post". I don't look to see what a persons "reputation" is, nor do I care. If the option wasn't there, it wouldn't have any impact on the site, IMO.

I agree, the rep system is not what it is cracked up to be.
So, I was just handing out an idea to see if interest is out there.
The rep system can be removed with a click of the mouse.

My thinking on this new rep system idea is self education.

This new rep system could help answer the question...
Do my core values stack up to be conservative or liberal?

After getting dozens of rep points; I think some of us would be shocked.

When people like Freedom 69 has a rep power of 3 - you know the system is wack. I say dump the whole rep thing and let people talk.

I'd be OK too with nixing the reputation thing. And if it's easy enough to do, replacing it with the political leaning vote that you're talking about. It kind of reminds me of the littlest political test from the Libertarians, you can check that out here: quiz

I like the idea that those with the highest reputation could see a special section, it would be a reward for those who post meaningful ideas

I rarely give good or bad rep. Just to really test out this system that promotes "thought provoking posts," last night I went around the forum to give good rep for good posts - bad for bad. Someone makes 3 great points - you can give them good rep once but can't give them good rep again until you 'pass rep around' - same for bad. So people will go around to give rep just so they can go back and give rep to the person who 'deserves' it, good or bad.

Besides, if someone has to use the rep system because they don't have the balls to say they agree/disagree on the board - where's the "debate?"

(I even apply that to the "good rep" I got and the person who gave it to me yesterday.)

(I even apply that to the "good rep" I got and the person who gave it to me yesterday.)

Guilty as charged. :cool:

I gave you rep because I believe it was an excellent point to add to the discussion for both positions. It floored me but I had nothing constructive to add, and wanted to acknowledge it.

So lets see... so far we've got:
2 for removing rep completly
1 for removing or going to the new political leaning idea
1 for allowing high reputation members thier own forum (no comments as to which rep system)

Anyone else?

I tend to agree with Squawker. I'm not sure the Rep. system means all that much. If you want to tell someone they made a good point just post it. I used to try and make a point of giving Rep. but I kind of gave up trying to keep track.

I would do away with it. To easy to black ball people.

Also, vauge, I will be making a donation soon. I really enjoy this website.

I will keep this up a few more days, so far it seems the members have spoken.

Thor, thank you.

Being new here, what the hell does my opinion matter?

So, I'll offer it :eek:

The rep system seems to rely on the honor system. If someone disagrees with me, but respects my argument, they should leave either a + reputation point or nothing at all. If they are just trolling with obvious vitriol, they deserve negative rep points. I've given points to those I disagree with in here.

my 2 ¢

(by the way, what is the gavel symbol under my name, and how did it ge there?)

Last edited:
Thats your rank...
Every rank has either a gavel, donkey, elephant, or stars - depending if you have joined a group. Gavel is default. (in user cp under group memberships)

Here are the titles and rank levels.

User 0-25 posts

Student 25-124 posts [first gavel, donkey etc...]

Advisor 125-499 posts [second gavel...]

(optional after 500 or donation can have unique title)
Educator 500-999 posts

Professor 1000-1999 posts

Guru 2000+ posts

btw, it doesn't matter if you've been here 1 day, 100, or even if you have donated or not.
We try to listen to everyone's opinion to make this a better place.

Also, under User CP > "edit options" feel free to put your blog RSS/XML feed in there. Your latest entry title will show up above your signature automatically. ;)
Excellent way to show off your blog!

I'm not sure exactly how to change the reputation system, but I kind of like the idea of having a reputation as left leaning, right leaning, mod, etc...

The current system has a few downfalls. On one of my first posts I got a negative feedback from someone just because they disagreed with me. Annoying, but not life threatening.

I turned the repuation system off.

Let me see if I can create the reputation system in the idea, and will launch it again for a brief time. If it's not possible or has greater chance of "black balling", will remove it completely.

Meanwhile, if there are any ideas for a better system - lets hear them. :)

vauge said:
Thats your rank...
Every rank has either a gavel, donkey, elephant, or stars - depending if you have joined a group. Gavel is default. (in user cp under group memberships)

Here are the titles and rank levels.

User 0-25 posts

Student 25-124 posts [first gavel, donkey etc...]

Advisor 125-499 posts [second gavel...]

(optional after 500 or donation can have unique title)
Educator 500-999 posts

Professor 1000-1999 posts

Guru 2000+ posts

btw, it doesn't matter if you've been here 1 day, 100, or even if you have donated or not.
We try to listen to everyone's opinion to make this a better place.

Also, under User CP > "edit options" feel free to put your blog RSS/XML feed in there. Your latest entry title will show up above your signature automatically. ;)
Excellent way to show off your blog!

Not true. I only listen to my own opinions.

As for turning off the the Rep. system. I guess I'm for that. As I said before I used to try to use it but I kind of gave up. I started trying to just post in the tread if I thought the post was of good content or not. I'm not sure there's a need for one at all. Course I'm not sure there's much of a need for the avatars either. But I'm sure a lot of people enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom