• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Features - software update - Saturday, 4/17/21

RedAkston

Master of Shenanigans
Administrator
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What's coming with the software update:

Blogs

- all of the blogs came over from the old vB software but it looks like a forum currently​
- we knew there was a future update coming that would address this issue which is why we didn't install an inferior add-on prior to this update​
- the blogs are presently located here - https://debatepolitics.com/forums/vb-blogs.215/
Updated rich text editor

- here's a 12+ minute video of someone explaining the new toolbar -

User Profile Banners

- similar to a cover photo on Facebook​
- we may try this in the near future but if it is tasking on the server or we see abuse of this we will disable (this will not be turned on at the time of the update)​
Username change request

- we will allow users to make a username change once for free​
- the username change will need to be approved by an admin​
- usernames cannot be reused/recycled​
Progressive Web App *may not work on Apple products

- this is still in the testing phase (for us)​
- once this is turned on it will give you the option to install if you choose​
- allows for push notifications​
- read more about what a progressive web app is here - https://web.dev/what-are-pwas/

I'll be interested to know when banners and the web app are turned on.

Looks interesting! Just a question (and I'm sure you don't have a final answer since it's not included but any speculation at this point would be appreciated!).

One username change for free implies there will be a charge after the first change - any idea of the cost? Will there be a limitation on the number of username changes one can request (assume they are willing to pay each time).

Just nosy at this point. I'm still liking my username.

KRUPS Simply Brew 5 Cup Coffee Maker KM202850

Looks interesting! Just a question (and I'm sure you don't have a final answer since it's not included but any speculation at this point would be appreciated!).

One username change for free implies there will be a charge after the first change - any idea of the cost? Will there be a limitation on the number of username changes one can request (assume they are willing to pay each time).

Just nosy at this point. I'm still liking my username.
$5 - there isn't a limit per se but we will cut someone off if they try to make multiple changes.

$5 - there isn't a limit per se but we will cut someone off if they try to make multiple changes.
Will there be a name change history on people's profile if they change it? What if they have their profile set to private?

Will there be a name change history on people's profile if they change it? What if they have their profile set to private?
There will not be as far as I know.

This is not looking good. I have an Apple computer. On a different message board with Xen Foro software, if I do not enable push notifications, my Enter key does not work and every post I wrote there could only be one paragraph. Otherwise, what are they for?

I never go to Facebook for personal reasons. What are these banners we will get?

Search is still re-indexing. Results may be a little stale for an hour or so.

Are user names a free and open market or is this revenue stream going to fund your (I don't know who) future migration to Mars?

We've lost the "Reply" button at the top of threads. This was necessary in order for Blogs to display properly along all themes. This will be added back in time.

Search index is complete.

Also, you might notice that "Breaking News" and "General Political Discussion" forums now show similar threads asking if there is already a thread about that topic.
The list that it generates gives much higher value to most recent posts. We will test this awhile and see how well it works.

Also a ton of new stuff under the scenes that we are still exploring.

:)

We've lost the "Reply" button at the top of threads. This was necessary in order for Blogs to display properly along all themes. This will be added back in time.
I never had that button on XF. :(

This is much better having separate buttons dor images, videos, and quotes again. I missed them after the software switch.

What's coming with the software update:

Blogs

- all of the blogs came over from the old vB software but it looks like a forum currently​
- we knew there was a future update coming that would address this issue which is why we didn't install an inferior add-on prior to this update​
- the blogs are presently located here - https://debatepolitics.com/forums/vb-blogs.215/
Updated rich text editor

- here's a 12+ minute video of someone explaining the new toolbar -

User Profile Banners

- similar to a cover photo on Facebook​
- we may try this in the near future but if it is tasking on the server or we see abuse of this we will disable (this will not be turned on at the time of the update)​
Username change request

- we will allow users to make a username change once for free​
- the username change will need to be approved by an admin​
- usernames cannot be reused/recycled​
Progressive Web App *may not work on Apple products

- this is still in the testing phase (for us)​
- once this is turned on it will give you the option to install if you choose​
- allows for push notifications​
- read more about what a progressive web app is here - https://web.dev/what-are-pwas/

Nice little video!
Being gone for a while and coming back I like the multi-quote, I like the latest activity which I use for a replacement for that old old feature that used to be here where the latest and greats posts would just pop up and scroll.(cant remember what it was called) Its not live but its good enough 😁

I like the the shades of grey theme, matches my desk top nicely

I usually have the home tab open, alerts tab, whats new tab/new posts and latest activity tab

only thing I miss is that little blue arrow that took you back to your own last post in a thread, that was a nice feature

Upgrades are nice! Thank you and all the other staff also!

The configurations within the reply text editor have been changed (some different icons) and moved (some to a totally new location).

But everything seems to work once you get your bearings.

Does the update automatically merge like files? I posted one on MTG and her “America First” launch/no launch and a few minutes later RV posted a similar thread and it showed up as post #2 in my thread.

I like the “is there a similar thread” feature and the “more on the same subject” option.

Good job, Red!

The preview button is gone. (!!!)

Did it move and I'm missing it? Neeeeeed it.
Screenshot_20210417-160815_Opera Touch.jpg

Does the update automatically merge like files? I posted one on MTG and her “America First” launch/no launch and a few minutes later RV posted a similar thread and it showed up as post #2 in my thread.
It shouldn't - let us know if you find others.

Back
Top Bottom