• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New examples of the U.S. founded on Religous Principles.

alienken

Active member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
369
Reaction score
4
Location
near Houston, Texas
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I ran across this ammo with no thread to post it on so I started this one. Check out what Andy Rooney said about the presence of religion in the Government.



Andy Rooney
DID YOU KNOW? As you walk up the steps to the building which houses the U.S. Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view ... it is Moses and he is holding the Ten Commandments!




.
DID YOU KNOW?

As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door.



DID YOU KNOW?

As you sit inside the courtroom, you can see the wall, right above where the Supreme Court judges sit, a display of the Ten Commandments!


DID YOU KNOW?



There are Bible verses etched in stone all over the Federal Buildings and Monuments in Washington, D.C.

DID YOU KNOW?


James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement:

"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?



Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said:

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

DID YOU KNOW?

Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.

DID YOU KNOW?

Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established orthodox churches in the colonies.

DID YOU KNOW?

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law . an oligarchy
the rule of few over many.

DID YOU KNOW?

The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said:


"Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers."

How, then, have we gotten to the point that everything we have done for 220 years in this country is now suddenly wrong and unconstitutional?

Lets put it around the world and let the world see and remember what this great country was built on.



Chamber, US House of Representatives



I was asked to send this on if I agreed or delete if I didn't. Now it is your turn...
It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore, it is very hard to understand why there is such a mess about having the Ten Commandments on display or "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance.

If you agree, pass this on
 

Engimo

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
alienken said:
I was asked to send this on if I agreed or delete if I didn't. Now it is your turn...
It is said that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore, it is very hard to understand why there is such a mess about having the Ten Commandments on display or "In God We Trust" on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance.

If you agree, pass this on
Nice job copy-pasting a crappy chain letter.

Anyways, the entire point of our republic is to prevent a tyrrany of the majority - it is therefore irrelevant to talk about the 86% of America that is religious. The Constitution, by means of the establishment clause, rather obviously prohibits the establishment of a religion by the government. The personal religions of the founding fathers is simply not important (even though many of them were deists [Jefferson included]), as the Constitution is very clear about the U.S. being a religiously-neutral nation.
 

Vandeervecken

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
744
Reaction score
1
Location
Midland MI USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
alienken said:
I ran across this ammo with no thread to post it on so I started this one. Check out what Andy Rooney said about the presence of religion in the Government.
The funny thing is that he is wrong. Read the Constitution, try and make it line up with Christian dogma. What part of Christian dogma wants a 3 part government? A republic?

It is an unsupportable claim. The Constitution is a secular document.
 

alienken

Active member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
369
Reaction score
4
Location
near Houston, Texas
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Engimo said:
Nice job copy-pasting a crappy chain letter.

Anyways, the entire point of our republic is to prevent a tyrrany of the majority - it is therefore irrelevant to talk about the 86% of America that is religious. The Constitution, by means of the establishment clause, rather obviously prohibits the establishment of a religion by the government. The personal religions of the founding fathers is simply not important (even though many of them were deists [Jefferson included]), as the Constitution is very clear about the U.S. being a religiously-neutral nation.
Here we go again.The point is that our founding fathers founded this country with Religious even Judeo-Christian principles in mind. There's no tyrrany.I have never heard of anyone suggesting that our Gov. needs to establish a reigion.The constitution is clear that the U.S.has to be neatral which does not mean there can't be any signs of existence of a religon, just not picking one over another and forced on the people as the only one.Freedom of religon is what this coutry was built on. But at the same time the Gov. can not restrict religous expression on Gov. property or any other public area.
 

alienken

Active member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
369
Reaction score
4
Location
near Houston, Texas
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Vandeervecken said:
The funny thing is that he is wrong. Read the Constitution, try and make it line up with Christian dogma. What part of Christian dogma wants a 3 part government? A republic?

It is an unsupportable claim. The Constitution is a secular document.
Yes secular document BASED ON Judeo- Christian values.
 

MrFungus420

Legend in my own mind!
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
2,018
Reaction score
345
Location
Midland, MI
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
alienken said:
Yes secular document BASED ON Judeo- Christian values.
Really...what parts of the Constitution do you think are based on Judeo-Christian values?
 

Vandeervecken

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
744
Reaction score
1
Location
Midland MI USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
alienken said:
Yes secular document BASED ON Judeo- Christian values.
Really? Please take the Constitution Article and Section by Article and Section and show exactly how that Article and Section is based upon Judeo-Christian values and what part of which relevant Holy Book that section represents.

The religious always make this claim and can never, ever, offer any backing for it. Unless you consider repeating a falsehood four thousand times back up. I do not.
 

Engimo

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
0
Location
New York
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
alienken said:
Yes secular document BASED ON Judeo- Christian values.
Uh, what does it matter? If there is a document that promotes secularity, the potential religious basis of the document is irrelevant. As well, the Constitution was based primarily on the ideas and philosophies of the Enlightenment (John Locke, Hobbes, etc.), NOT religious ideas. Like I said, though, the motivation for the document is not important - we're considering the document itself.
 

Vandeervecken

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
744
Reaction score
1
Location
Midland MI USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Engimo said:
Uh, what does it matter? If there is a document that promotes secularity, the potential religious basis of the document is irrelevant. As well, the Constitution was based primarily on the ideas and philosophies of the Enlightenment (John Locke, Hobbes, etc.), NOT religious ideas. Like I said, though, the motivation for the document is not important - we're considering the document itself.
An excellent and quite true point.
 
Top Bottom