• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New Evidence That Even Not-For-Profit Obamacare Plans Are Failing

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Forbes Welcome

Those who advocate for the law dismiss recent news that large carriers like United Healthcare andAetna AET -2.76% will be sharply reducing their footprint in the exchanges. Now that the not-for-profit plans are also booking losses, it should be clear to even the most fervent believers that the problems with the Affordable Care Act are serious and structural.
Even the Blue Cross plans sustained losses in the first quarter. Health Care Service Corp (the country’s leading non-profit Blue plan) generated losses of $450 million. Most of these plans intend to stick with the exchanges next year. But they’re looking to push through double-digit premium increases to offset these unambiguous losses.

I wonder how many people that back the ACA understand the structurally flawed economics that are starting to implode before their eyes?

Forbes Welcome

I wonder how many people that back the ACA understand the structurally flawed economics that are starting to implode before their eyes?
In my view, those that did do not, did not ever care. It was never just intended the rich that will pay, its the richer [i.e., those that have a job, work hard ]. We can afford it, you see.

Forbes Welcome

Yes, our healthcare system is structurally flawed economics.

The difference between someone like me and someone like you is that I recognize that it was always like this.

You mean, how many ACA supporters read biased news reports about the status of the insurers? lol

Despite the loss of the non-profit co-ops, the number of insurers in the marketplaces actually went up from 2015 to 2016.

The insurers are mostly complaining or talking about pulling programs as a pressure tactic, because they want to increase their premiums.

Back in the real world: The Healthcare Plans sector has a net profit margin of 3.2%, which is basically the same as they had in 2010. Health care costs are rising slower than they were before the ACA. The number of uninsured is still dropping, and Republicans are still incapable of offering a viable alternative.

So, what are we supposed to believe again...?

You mean, how many ACA supporters read biased news reports about the status of the insurers? lol

Despite the loss of the non-profit co-ops, the number of insurers in the marketplaces actually went up from 2015 to 2016.

The insurers are mostly complaining or talking about pulling programs as a pressure tactic, because they want to increase their premiums.

Back in the real world: The Healthcare Plans sector has a net profit margin of 3.2%, which is basically the same as they had in 2010. Health care costs are rising slower than they were before the ACA. The number of uninsured is still dropping, and Republicans are still incapable of offering a viable alternative.

So, what are we supposed to believe again...?

That you are gullible?

That you are gullible?
lol... Yes, uncritically accepting that the ACA is a "failure," because a few insurers are applying pressure tactics, doesn't make anyone gullible.

Forbes Welcome

I don't mean to be a bother but what exactly was the proof? was it "asking for rate increases" or was it "they lost money"? as expected Forbes didn't really say. and this statement from the "editorial" is just false

"It left them with even less leeway for making mistakes–like a bad risk pool or underpriced premiums."

How is it possible that the "editorial" is unaware of the 3 specific parts of Obamacare specifically designed to minimize "adverse selection"? the answer is quite easy. the "editorial" knows all about it. It just knows that conservatives either don't know or will happily overlook such a blatant lie because it says what they want to believe.

The overall goal of these programs is to provide certainty and protect against adverse selection in the market while stabilizing premiums in the individual and small group markets as marketreforms and Exchange begin in 2014.
https://www.cms.gov/cciio/resources/files/downloads/3rs-final-rule.pdf

Back
Top Bottom