• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

New dress code for the NBA.

Originally posted by independent_thinker2002
Thanks, but I am not hungry right now. So you don't need to put words in my mouth. If you want to ignore a difference in cultures, that's on you!

I live on a side of town where the majoraty of citizens are black,I went to a school where I was one of the few white people there,so I think I know what black culture is and is not.This black culture you speak of is just you blowing smoke and repeating what the thugs and wannabe thugs are saying on tv.They would be offended by your statements and assumtions that only white people dress respectable.

Your bigotry shows though when you say, "white people who dress like a bunch of gangbangers/thugs/idiots".

The only people I see dress like are thugs/gangbangers and idiot.Most black people know how to properly wear a pair of pants and how to tuck in a shirt,it is you who shows bigotry.

I said nothing about anyone being a "sellout".

Are these your words?

independent_thinker2002 said:

" Why don't you just say that they should dress more like white people"

I see you addressed the intelligence part of the Kennedy/Bush example but not the respectability part. Hmmmmmm, I wonder why.

The first impression is usually your last impression.

jamesrage said:
I live on a side of town where the majoraty of citizens are black,I went to a school where I was one of the few white people there,so I think I know what black culture is and is not.This black culture you speak of is just you blowing smoke and repeating what the thugs and wannabe thugs are saying on tv.They would be offended by your statements and assumtions that only white people dress respectable.

The only people I see dress like are thugs/gangbangers and idiot.Most black people know how to properly wear a pair of pants and how to tuck in a shirt,it is you who shows bigotry.

Are these your words?

" Why don't you just say that they should dress more like white people"

The first impression is usually your last impression.

Sir, you can wear an Armani all day, every day, and even to bed. It doesn't make you intelligent or respectable. My statement you quoted was a response to you thinking that hip-hop fashion is "thugged out", "gangbangerish", and "idiotic". Using your logic I can tell you were not wearing a suit but some FuBu gear when you typed this because you can't type/spell worth a damn.

I use to love NBA basketball back in the 80's. If there was a game on I was watching it. I was a big Celtics fan by the way. Today, it wouldn't bother me if the whole league went under. Why these guys feel the need to look like local gang-bangers hangin' on the street slingin' rocks I don't know. That's not an image that's going to draw in more fans. I know a lot of sports fans, but I don't know anyone who claims to be a fan of the NBA.

Red State Sage said:
I use to love NBA basketball back in the 80's. If there was a game on I was watching it. I was a big Celtics fan by the way. Today, it wouldn't bother me if the whole league went under. Why these guys feel the need to look like local gang-bangers hangin' on the street slingin' rocks I don't know. That's not an image that's going to draw in more fans. I know a lot of sports fans, but I don't know anyone who claims to be a fan of the NBA.

Did you prefer those two-sizes too small anatomically correct shorts that Larry Bird wore? You might want to move to a blue state.

Did you prefer those two-sizes too small anatomically correct shorts that Larry Bird wore? You might want to move to a blue state.
:rofl Yea, I was a huge Larry Legend fan. Good point on the shorts...but that was the style.

It's about time. Some of these guys actually do dress well and they appear a lot nicer looking than some of the other players. It makes the league more presentable all together.

Sir, you can wear an Armani all day, every day, and even to bed. It doesn't make you intelligent or respectable.
That is true,but we live a society were the first impression is the last impression.

My statement you quoted was a response to you thinking that hip-hop fashion is "thugged out", "gangbangerish", and "idiotic".
You implied that if you are black and wear a suit you are a ****in sell-out.
You implied that only white people wear a suit with your statement.Why don't you go hang with the Nazis in the forum if you want to buy into racial stereotypes and bullshit perpatrated by the morons on tv.

I

I actually heard an intelligent NBA player (I know...an oxymoron) quoted today as basically saying that the NBA is his employer, and if he wants to continue earning a check then he better adhere to the new standard.

Most of us have jobs too. If our employer requires that we wear certain attire in order to work for that organization, then that is what we must do. Why should these childish, narcissistic gang-bangers be treated any different? Pay me half of what they make and I'll wear a chicken-outfit to work everyday!

How about that thugged out, gangbanging, idiot Tim Duncan? Yes, suits look better in my opinion. It is just an opinion though. It is not a fact. I have known people with 15 piercings and 60% of their body tattooed that were smarter and more respectable than their three-piece suit wearing counterparts. What if they wanted to impose haircut and facial hair standards a la George Steinbrenner?

What if they wanted to impose haircut and facial hair standards a la George Steinbrenner?

Every place of employment has a set of standards when it comes to attire.

jamesrage said:
Every place of employment has a set of standards when it comes to attire.

They don't play the games in "business casual".

Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002
They don't play the games in "business casual".

They are still on company time when they go to and from work.The basketball players represent the NBA,the NBA wants them to be in a certian uniform while representing the NBA.

jamesrage said:
They are still on company time when they go to and from work.The basketball players represent the NBA,the NBA wants them to be in a certian uniform while representing the NBA.

Does the dress code pertain to practices, I don't think so. Nor does it pertain to championship parades.

Does the dress code pertain to practices, I don't think so. Nor does it pertain to championship parades.

If somebody is paying you a **** load of money to play games then they have the right to tell you what attire you must wear when being interviewed,going to and from the game and so on.

jamesrage said:
If somebody is paying you a **** load of money to play games then they have the right to tell you what attire you must wear when being interviewed,going to and from the game and so on.

And here lies the quandry. The person telling you this and paying you millions wouldn't have his position if it weren't for players of your quality. Let them replace players with scabs and see how many millions the NBA brings in.

As much as I do agree with the new policy, I wonder how much this will affect the image and brand the game has created over the years. The players in the NBA have been trend setters for a number of the league's fan base.

Screw these spoiled rotten NBA players. They don't want to confirm to a dress code? Then let them go flip burgers for a living. Poor 'lil Nba players.

Are these guys kidding. I think about the rest of us working shlups, dressing up everyday and making far less than several million dollars. They act like the commisioner put a stop to dunks or cheating on theor wives while on the road.

I like that AI "will fight this".... At least he is taking a stand on something...

getinvolved said:
I like that AI "will fight this".... At least he is taking a stand on something...
Just as long as it doesn't involve "practice"...

jamesrage said:
Well at least there is a possible chance that proper clothing may be fashionable to teenagers who idiolize backetball players.

Yes, maybe kids will wear suits instead of wearing baggy pants, with one leg rolled up, and a teardrop painted under their eye.:lol:

Originally posted by getinvolved

Hahaha, AI, what's that, artificial intelligence? Taking a stand? I guess thats good opposed to kicking down a brother -in -laws door with a ak-47 in hand, or plowing a school bus of children and driving away!

Last edited:
Your boss and or company institutes a dress code. Just as bosses and companies world wide do everyday. These are the rules set down by the people that employ you. They are not sexist or unreasonable. If you are so against this then go play in the CBA. I really don't see what the problem is with requiring the players to weaqr suits. As the players are so fond of saying "It's a Business". And in buisness you very often have to wear business attire.....Shut up and buy your $6000.00 dollar suits and get over it.

Calm2Chaos said:
Your boss and or company institutes a dress code. Just as bosses and companies world wide do everyday. These are the rules set down by the people that employ you. They are not sexist or unreasonable. If you are so against this then go play in the CBA. I really don't see what the problem is with requiring the players to weaqr suits. As the players are so fond of saying "It's a Business". And in buisness you very often have to wear business attire.....Shut up and buy your $6000.00 dollar suits and get over it.

Yes, IMO they're so ****ing overpaid anyway it's not even funny to say the least. They get six-figure salaries for putting a damn ball in a hoop, the least they can do is to look presentable for team functions.

getinvolved said:

alleniverson.jpg

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/12/Sports/Iverson_faces_felony_.shtml

Is there really anybody that has a cognizant arguement against this?

Calm2Chaos said:
Is there really anybody that has a cognizant arguement against this?

I'll have to throw out a big negative on that one. I was simply trying to show how he is the scum of the earth, and dosen't in the least bit, deserve to be idolized.

Back
Top Bottom