• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New details emerge about federal investigation into Hunter Biden

Credence

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Federal probe into Hunter Biden's taxes intensifies, sources say​

The federal investigation into Hunter Biden's business practices is broader than previously known, with multiple sources telling CBS News the probe is exploring whether the younger Biden and his associates violated tax, money laundering and foreign lobbying laws.

Business records reviewed by CBS News and documents released by Republicans in Congress indicate Hunter Biden and his firm were involved in multiple financial transactions with a Chinese energy company called CEFC. Republicans allege that the company is an arm of the Chinese government.

In 2017, the year after Joe Biden left the vice presidency, an official with the Chinese energy company signed a $1 million retainer for Hunter Biden's services as a lawyer.

The new client, CEFC official Patrick Ho, was later convicted on unrelated international bribery and money laundering charges for work in Africa.

This week on the Senate floor, Republican Chuck Grassley presented financial records the Senate obtained that he said showed six-figure payments from the Chinese energy company to Hunter Biden's firm, which included President Biden's brother James Biden.

Last edited:

New details emerge about federal investigation into Hunter Biden​

The federal investigation into President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, over his tax affairs has intensified in recent weeks, sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News.

An increasing number of witnesses have appeared before a grand jury impaneled in Wilmington, Delaware, in recent months, the sources said, and have been asked about payments Hunter Biden received while serving on the board of directors of Ukrainian natural gas company Burisma, in addition to other questions about how Biden paid off tax obligations in recent years.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for Delaware, which has been leading the investigation, is expected to hear from more witnesses in the coming weeks, sources told ABC News.

Sources say that prosecutors have not made a decision yet on whether criminal charges against Biden are warranted, and that there is debate about whether Biden's admitted past drug abuse could serve to undermine a criminal case over his financial decision-making.

A spokesperson for the DA's office declined to comment to ABC News, as did a spokesperson for the Justice Department.

Hunter Biden confirmed the existence of the investigation in December 2020, shortly after his father won the presidency. Since taking office, President Biden has repeatedly pledged to uphold the independence of the Justice Department and not interfere in its work. The tax probe is being led by U.S. Attorney Dan Weiss, a Trump appointee who remained on the job after Biden was sworn in.

Last edited:

New details emerge about federal investigation into Hunter Biden​

The federal investigation into President Joe Biden's son, Hunter Biden, over his tax affairs has intensified in recent weeks, sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News.

An increasing number of witnesses have appeared before a grand jury impaneled in Wilmington, Delaware, in recent months, the sources said, and have been asked about payments Hunter Biden received while serving on the board of directors of Ukrainian natural gas company Burisma, in addition to other questions about how Biden paid off tax obligations in recent years.

The U.S. Attorney's Office for Delaware, which has been leading the investigation, is expected to hear from more witnesses in the coming weeks, sources told ABC News.

Sources say that prosecutors have not made a decision yet on whether criminal charges against Biden are warranted, and that there is debate about whether Biden's admitted past drug abuse could serve to undermine a criminal case over his financial decision-making.

A spokesperson for the DA's office declined to comment to ABC News, as did a spokesperson for the Justice Department.

Hunter Biden confirmed the existence of the investigation in December 2020, shortly after his father won the presidency. Since taking office, President Biden has repeatedly pledged to uphold the independence of the Justice Department and not interfere in its work. The tax probe is being led by U.S. Attorney Dan Weiss, a Trump appointee who remained on the job after Biden was sworn in.

That (bolded above) is troubling. Why should illegal drug abuse be considered as an excuse (mitigating factor?) to not prosecute other illegal activity?

That (bolded above) is troubling. Why should illegal drug abuse be considered as an excuse (mitigating factor?) to not prosecute other illegal activity?
It depends on what happened. The prosecution needs to prove intent, and drug abuse can be used as a defense if Biden's decision making was so clouded that he didn't know what he was doing.

It depends on what happened. The prosecution needs to prove intent, and drug abuse can be used as a defense if Biden's decision making was so clouded that he didn't know what he was doing.

Nonsense. The fact that Hunter realized that he was free to frequently binge on drugs is even more reason to suspect that he knew that was not being paid for doing any actual work. Most lack the ability to take weeks (months?) off work at a time knowing that their “paychecks” will not be impacted.

Not a good look for our Presidents son to go to prison.

The federal investigation into Hunter Biden's business practices is broader than previously known, with multiple sources telling CBS News the probe is exploring whether the younger Biden and his associates violated tax, money laundering and foreign lobbying laws.

Business records reviewed by CBS News and documents released by Republicans in Congress indicate Hunter Biden and his firm were involved in multiple financial transactions with a Chinese energy company called CEFC. Republicans allege that the company is an arm of the Chinese government.

In 2017, the year after Joe Biden left the vice presidency, an official with the Chinese energy company signed a $1 million retainer for Hunter Biden's services as a lawyer.

The new client, CEFC official Patrick Ho, was later convicted on unrelated international bribery and money laundering charges for work in Africa.

This week on the Senate floor, Republican Chuck Grassley presented financial records the Senate obtained that he said showed six-figure payments from the Chinese energy company to Hunter Biden's firm, which included President Biden's brother James Biden.

I'll ask. Is it illegal to do business with Chinese energy companies?

To my understanding this whole thing concerning hunter's laptop will be covered in detail when in two weeks Durham's report comes out.

That's it!!!! I AM NOT voting for hunter biden!!!!

Not a good look for our Presidents son to go to prison.
I wouldn't know. I look at women. Amy Robach is hot.

Myself, I don't care about Hunter Biden. If he's guilty, lock him up. How that looks to you is none of my business. I don't care. I'd rather watch Amy Robach interviews.

Not much of a defense, IMO.

Likely for the same reason Trump Jr. wasn't prosecuted for the Trump Tower meeting and Clinton wasn't prosecuted for classified information on private server...because the government would have to prove the element of knowledge/intent and that apparently is very hard to do when the defendant has money to hire big firm defense attorneys.

With that said, I find this fascination with Hunter Biden fascinating. Truly works to undermine the "liberal bias" of the media narrative.

From what I am gathering from having read the articles is he should have registered as a foreign agent and incurred tax penalties from foreign monies paid he may have not declared. Money laundering depending on the details, is serious.

The good news is nothing I've read implicates our President and his son and brother are grown men who he has no responsibility for.
Let the chips fall where they may

Probably the most underappreciated irony in all of this is that if 100% of the details were the same but "Democrat" was replaced with "Republican," there would be no Federal investigation into the President's son.

You waiting for the job description to be released.

Yes and they likely include little more than having the ‘big guy’ doing Hunter’s numerous “employers” some favors.

Yes and they likely include little more than having the ‘big guy’ doing Hunter’s numerous “employers” some favors.

You need to read and see that one has been debunked already.

LOL at the "he was on drugs" dodge
Lemme see, I'll smoke some crack and then go run over some people with my truck...I'm innocent!

Waaaahahaha!

Back
Top Bottom