• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New data from Sam Brownback’s Kansas destroys the GOP myth that tax cuts create jobs

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
New data from Sam Brownback’s Kansas destroys the GOP myth that tax cuts create jobs

“The state of Kansas, where Gov. Sam Brownback’s right-wing economic program and handling of the state finances have reached comedic levels of absurdity, is now also failing at a key economic test: Keeping up with the neighboring state………..

………. highlights the newest data from the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, which show the disparity in job numbers between the Kansas and Missouri sides of the Kansas City metro area…………

………… “The data, in fact, are extremely discouraging for Brownback and the few remaining people who thought his tax cuts would act like a jobs magnet for the Sunflower State,” writes Abouhalkah. “The bottom line: Missouri gained employment almost five times faster than Kansas in the metro region over……..

Once again, the GOP’s economic fix all……the tax cut proves to be a dud ….. failure……pipe dream….
When will the voters ever figure it out and not elect these “Snake oil” buffoons……..

ALSO SEE:
Seth Meyers: GOP wrecked Kansas economy so bad they had to auction off dildos for cash
Jobs tank in Kansas, surge in Missouri in Kansas City area | The Kansas City Star
Yael T. Abouhalkah: In defending Gov. Sam Brownback’s tax cuts, two economists bungle the job | The Kansas City Star
Sam Brownback praises 2012 business tax cut in Kansas | CJOnline.com

Re: New data from Sam Brownback’s Kansas destroys the GOP myth that tax cuts create j

All Brownback and State Republicans did was destroy Kansas. Now they are having to cut into basic services as their fiscal position is spiraling out of control.

They will end up next to Louisiana in what *not* to do to a State.

Re: New data from Sam Brownback’s Kansas destroys the GOP myth that tax cuts create j

Kansas doesn't seem too bad. Current unemployment is 4.0% versus Missouri's 4.2% and the nation's 5.0%. Average hourly pay is $20.64 or $42,930 a year-rather decent when the cost of living in Kansas is lower than the national average.
Not sure if comparing Kansas City metro in Kansas versus Missouri is a relevant way to measure a governor. Perhaps look at the 2 mayors.

Kansas GDP growth leads the nation. 6.5% growth in Q3-2015. Employment is up, unemployment is down. Wages are up. Corporate income, sales, and use tax receipts are UP, which means more taxes at lower rates.

As usual, the problem here is govt SPENDING (and to an extent, reliance on oil and Ag profits to fund the govt). The citizens are doing just fine.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/2016/pdf/qgsp0316.pdf

https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc.../Regional Economic Reports/StLouis_2015Q1.pdf

St Louis economic figures:
6.5% unemployment
Almost no growth in housing numbers 2.6 for single family permits and negative 34.4 for multifamily
Long term negative population growth---higher than Detroit's!

You can look at KC if you want but if you look at both Missouri metros St Louis is where Missouri has more control over the city and the results are not pretty.

https://www.pnc.com/content/dam/pnc.../Regional Economic Reports/StLouis_2015Q1.pdf

St Louis economic figures:
6.5% unemployment
Almost no growth in housing numbers 2.6 for single family permits and negative 34.4 for multifamily
Long term negative population growth---higher than Detroit's!

You can look at KC if you want but if you look at both Missouri metros St Louis is where Missouri has more control over the city and the results are not pretty.

Lol....if only ALL Red states could be as hopeless as California
California Has Highest Child Poverty Rate In Nation | KPBS

Kansas GDP growth leads the nation. 6.5% growth in Q3-2015. Employment is up, unemployment is down. Wages are up. Corporate income, sales, and use tax receipts are UP, which means more taxes at lower rates.

As usual, the problem here is govt SPENDING (and to an extent, reliance on oil and Ag profits to fund the govt). The citizens are doing just fine.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/2016/pdf/qgsp0316.pdf
Dig a bit deeper, the 3rd quarter spike was agriculture, spurred by a very temporary spike in corn in July '15, which has dissipated. If you want to hang yer hat on tax cuts in Kansas causing corn price spikes, go right ahead.

Dig a bit deeper, the 3rd quarter spike was agriculture, spurred by a very temporary spike in corn in July '15, which has dissipated. If you want to hang yer hat on tax cuts in Kansas causing corn price spikes, go right ahead.

I noticed that too, wtf, cherry picking one quarter of one year ...?

So obvious...

Everybody know the key to economic growth is RAISING taxes on the rich, not cutting them . That's what Obama.

Oh wait.
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/08/first-quarter-economy-looks-bleaker-by-the-day.html
me economists now see first-quarter growth as negligible, and it could easily turn out to be negative.

Economists shaved already weak growth forecasts by a few more tenths Friday, after wholesale inventories fell 0.5 percent month over month in February, much more than the anticipated 0.1 percent decline. January was also revised down by 0.4 percent

Tax cuts can create jobs if we are taxing too much. The trouble is, it is actually very hard to determine ahead of time if we are taxing too little, just right, or taxing too much. If we are are taxing just right or not enough then tax cuts actually do harm instead of good. Many on the right mistakenly believe that in every case, cutting taxes is good and that is not always the case, just at the times we are taxing too much.

Brownback has been a disaster, him and his failed policies are destroying the state.

But of all the articles I've read about what a mess Kansas has become I think the one I read about Kansas taxing groceries hit me the most. They tax ALL groceries in Kansas? Up to 10.5 % tax in some counties. I thought I heard it all, but I never knew any state taxed groceries, let alone 10%.

Very telling IMO. Kansas cuts taxes on the rich and Corps., but then to raise revenue they raised taxes on groceries so the way I understand it Kansas has the highest grocery tax in the Union.

Older people on fixed incomes must be getting killed with these food taxes. But then I bet many voted for Brownback, TWICE. I just don't understand Middle Class people who vote for the Republican's social agenda ahead of their own wallet. They care more about what gays do in their bedrooms instead of putting food on their own tables. Not smart at all, IMO.

I can't imagine that most Republicans would be in favor of taxing groceries. Most Republicans are against taxes of any kind. Personally, I don't think Kansas represents true Republican policies. I think we have a Republican gone rogue here.

Brownback has been a disaster, him and his failed policies are destroying the state.

But of all the articles I've read about what a mess Kansas has become I think the one I read about Kansas taxing groceries hit me the most. They tax ALL groceries in Kansas? Up to 10.5 % tax in some counties. I thought I heard it all, but I never knew any state taxed groceries, let alone 10%.

Very telling IMO. Kansas cuts taxes on the rich and Corps., but then to raise revenue they raised taxes on groceries so the way I understand it Kansas has the highest grocery tax in the Union.

Older people on fixed incomes must be getting killed with these food taxes. But then I bet many voted for Brownback, TWICE. I just don't understand Middle Class people who vote for the Republican's social agenda ahead of their own wallet. They care more about what gays do in their bedrooms instead of putting food on their own tables. Not smart at all, IMO.

You dont think youre paying taxes on groceries anyway, when you tax the grocer instead?

I can't imagine that most Republicans would be in favor of taxing groceries. Most Republicans are against taxes of any kind. Personally, I don't think Kansas represents true Republican policies. I think we have a Republican gone rogue here.

Republicans no. Fair taxers, yes. Food is no different than any other product, and a sales tax should be applied to all sales. The product doesnt matter. Everyone paying tax, equally, does.

a bit old but here ya go....

Which States Tax the Sale of Food for Home Consumption in 2009?

it depends. if the top tax rate is 90% and you cut it to 50, then yeah, that's going to free up some capital and create some jobs. what really creates jobs in our current economy, though, is average people buying more stuff. if i'm running a pizza joint, you can cut my taxes, and that would be cool. however, i'm not hiring anyone unless a whole bunch more customers show up and my current staff can't handle the numbers. that's the way i see it, at least.

Bull****, they're happy to burden other classes with taxes because it helps build momentum with their "taxes are evil," propaganda.

Republicans no. Fair taxers, yes. Food is no different than any other product, and a sales tax should be applied to all sales. The product doesnt matter. Everyone paying tax, equally, does.

That's stupid.

Applying sales taxes to necessities is asinine. Sales taxes are inherently regressive because the poor cannot afford to save.

Bull****, they're happy to burden other classes with taxes because it helps build momentum with their "taxes are evil," propaganda.

But if taxes are evil, then why do they want taxes on groceries? Republicans in general want less taxes on EVERYONE, not just the rich. It is left wing BS propaganda to say they want taxes on the poor but not on the rich.

But if taxes are evil, then why do they want taxes on groceries? Republicans in general want less taxes on EVERYONE, not just the rich. It is left wing BS propaganda to say they want taxes on the poor but not on the rich.

Actually, it is dead on accurate.

The original Brownback / State Republican tax cuts disproportionately were applied to the wealthy. Once they realized the fiscal mess they had created, the proposed solution including taxation changes that will disproportionately go after the poor.

No true Scotsman fallacy.

Here is an idea, stop telling us about what other people think.

it depends. if the top tax rate is 90% and you cut it to 50, then yeah, that's going to free up some capital and create some jobs. what really creates jobs in our current economy, though, is average people buying more stuff. if i'm running a pizza joint, you can cut my taxes, and that would be cool. however, i'm not hiring anyone unless a whole bunch more customers show up and my current staff can't handle the numbers. that's the way i see it, at least.
An investment into the business is going to happen if there appears to be a return, an increase in demand. Kansas has seen some population declines, most recently in 2014, and is projected to see only 0.4%/year increase according to Wichita State University. The losses include large numbers of teachers, the one group you don't want to lose if you want to attract corporations.

We had family in Norton and Colby, I have no idea how those communities remain. The old farms my GGF & GF worked have all been erased, it is all corporate farming now, labor requirements have dropped so far that vast parts of the state are becoming depopulated.

What the **** ???

This is the strategy they've been using since the constitutional amendment was passed to secure a federal income tax: burden everyone else with taxes as much as possible so we spread the burden and make them want to cut taxes.

Forgot to post the population forecast:

cedbr

Slow population growth projected in Kansas over next 50 years, study finds | The Wichita Eagle

No true Scotsman fallacy.

Here is an idea, stop telling us about what other people think.

Right back at ya slick. The left is always telling us what Republicans think.

Back
Top Bottom