• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New, Dangerous Synthetic Opioid in D.C., Emerging in Tri-State Area

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The DEA Washington Division is warning area residents of a new drug, emerging in the D.C. metropolitan area that is as dangerous and deadly as fentanyl.

This week, the DEA Washington Division brought local news outlets into their regional laboratory to see and discuss a dangerous class of drugs they are seeing emerge in the region -- nitazenes. A drug that was never approved for medical use, nitazines are being sourced from China and being mixed into other drugs.

Isotonitazene (aka nitazene or "ISO”) is a particular synthetic opioid the DEA is seeing move into the area. First identified around 2019 in the Midwest, this dangerous drug has moved into the Southern states and, more recently, along the Eastern seaboard. Much more potent than heroin and morphine (similar to fentanyl), ISO is being mixed into and marketed as other drugs to make drugs more potent and cheaper to produce. The major concern: This drug can and has caused deadly overdoses in unsuspecting victims.
-------------------------------
The danger with heroin & other synthetic opioids is that they are very potent. Since dealers mix them together you don't know what you're ingesting.

The DEA Washington Division is warning area residents of a new drug, emerging in the D.C. metropolitan area that is as dangerous and deadly as fentanyl.

This week, the DEA Washington Division brought local news outlets into their regional laboratory to see and discuss a dangerous class of drugs they are seeing emerge in the region -- nitazenes. A drug that was never approved for medical use, nitazines are being sourced from China and being mixed into other drugs.

Isotonitazene (aka nitazene or "ISO”) is a particular synthetic opioid the DEA is seeing move into the area. First identified around 2019 in the Midwest, this dangerous drug has moved into the Southern states and, more recently, along the Eastern seaboard. Much more potent than heroin and morphine (similar to fentanyl), ISO is being mixed into and marketed as other drugs to make drugs more potent and cheaper to produce. The major concern: This drug can and has caused deadly overdoses in unsuspecting victims.
-------------------------------
The danger with heroin & other synthetic opioids is that they are very potent. Since dealers mix them together you don't know what you're ingesting.
Reminds me of the time I bought a six pack of beer off the street from a dude with neck tattoos and it sent me to the ER with ethylene glycol poisoning and a near fatal BAC level.

Oh wait. That actually didn't happen, because alcohol is legal and regulated and I can purchase it from a legitimate business. I can trust that it wasn't made in somebody's bathtub using dangerous ingredients, and the potency of the drug is clearly labeled on the packaging. Imagine that.

Back
Top Bottom