• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Conservative leader

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
So Pierre Poilievre wins the race to be Conservative Party of Canada leader.

What do Canadians think?

I don't know what to think. Does it change anything?

I don't know what to think. Does it change anything?
I think it does. Poilievre leads opinion polls by a wide margin amongst Conservatives (44% Poilievre, 18% Charest). But when all Canadians are polled Charest pulled ahead (21% Charest, 16% Poilievre). What I take from that is that his appeal is not broad enough to pull in moderate voters.

I think his election as leader weakens the Conservatives, and points to a Trudeau minority government.

There needs to be a "Make Canada Great Again" candidate up there in the frozen tundra. Fidel Trudeau is a complete idiot.

There needs to be a "Make Canada Great Again" candidate up there in the frozen tundra. Fidel Trudeau is a complete idiot.
The Conservatives just elected one. He's still far left of US Democrats. Sorry.

I think it does. Poilievre leads opinion polls by a wide margin amongst Conservatives (44% Poilievre, 18% Charest). But when all Canadians are polled Charest pulled ahead (21% Charest, 16% Poilievre). What I take from that is that his appeal is not broad enough to pull in moderate voters.

I think his election as leader weakens the Conservatives, and points to a Trudeau minority government.

It suggests to me the party will be split between "old time" conservatives and the skate board crowd.

Polly chased the vote of the terrorists who staged the so-called "Freedom Convoy" who occupied Ottawa for weeks, and for that reason I will NOT consider a conservative vote again likely ever. Seniors need wage increases and education and health spending need to raised significantly.

He's a fiscal Torrie...unneeded and unacceptable in economic downturns.

Those **** heads were for Canada what January 6th was for democracy in the US.

You are right, Charest would have had a better chance but Tories are doomed in the west anymore.

And with events post pandemic Canadians do not want austerity.

We want the floodgates opened with some real plans for upgrading bridges and roadways against landslides and floods. We need spending on our Navy (every frigate is out of commission, Greece, is helping to patrol the Arctic.

Seniors are bending from the weight of skyrocketing inflation not seen in 40 years and our recovery is lagging badly behind other countries.

And...he's a Quebecker. The days where that didn't matter are gone. Quebec's language laws are unconstitutional, but protected under the "opting out clause". We do not want another Anglo/Francophone confrontation which it would be if Poly was Prime Minister

Further, there is a canyon of specifics he needs to answer, not the least of which is global warming. He even mentions a carbon tax and Alberta is gone. How the Tories will solve that one is a mystery as more than 65% of Canadians WANT a carbon tax and we already have one in BC.

He's ****ed on that portfolio.

This pretty much assures the Liberals maintain at least minority power for a long time to come! What is with political parties that they always seem to choose a looser leader? Charest or last time around MacKay would have guaranteed a Conservative majority. I give up!

And your opinion is based on.....?

But hey! Have at it. We have COMMUNISTS running for office. If that doesn't make your sphincter clench then this will....

We don't CARE what Americans think about anything

Also, we are the only nation America has gone to war with and lost! Twice.

This pretty much assures the Liberals maintain at least minority power for a long time to come! What is with political parties that they always seem to choose a looser leader?
He's a "populist". They always get some level of support since their voters are choosing based on hatred, rather than workable solutions. They are the guys driving around in (apologies to anyone with an F150) flag-draped pickups with "**** Trudeau" signs.
Charest or last time around MacKay would have guaranteed a Conservative majority. I give up!
I know someone at Unicef who worked with MacKay on projects. He gets shit done and isn't afraid to put the hours in according to her.

He's a "populist". They are the guys driving around in (apologies to anyone with an F150) flag-draped pickups with "**** Trudeau" sig
Really? That's kind of nice to hear!

This pretty much assures the Liberals maintain at least minority power for a long time to come! What is with political parties that they always seem to choose a looser leader? Charest or last time around MacKay would have guaranteed a Conservative majority. I give up!

There are now three (or more) pssible scenarios all dependent on what the NDP does.

Trudeau could be returned with a minority and he would have to step aside for a new leader.

He could be returned with a majority setting the stage for Trudeau to retire and set up former Bank of Canada governor David Dodge.

Or, he could be defeated altogether and disappear from the scene. That would require a resurgent NDP under Jagmeet Singh. While he is likely the best NDP Leader in history, his grades dropped, though, when hemade a deal with the devil Trudeau and guaranteed no election for two years. After taking the lead on Covid 19 and pushing the Liberals to the back of the room, he's fallen off, too quiet. If its because of the Torrie leadership, maybe. But now is NOT the time to be a shrinking violet...the nation's economics are exactly the NDP's realm.

Instead people are beginning to suffer and no one seems ready to jump to the front of that line and yell "follow me". The hope on that is where it has always been...the Liberals

He's a "populist". They always get some level of support since their voters are choosing based on hatred, rather than workable solutions. They are the guys driving around in (apologies to anyone with an F150) flag-draped pickups with "**** Trudeau" signs.

I know someone at Unicef who worked with MacKay on projects. He gets shit done and isn't afraid to put the hours in according to her.

I've always liked McKay. He was a stalwart in the post Mulroney days of darkness and despair for the Torries

The Conserative Party has just shot itself in the foot. Poilievre will destroy the party and we'll be stuck with the Dauphin Justin for a couple more political cycles. This is not a good day for Canadian politics.

No cheers but still be well.
Grumpy Evilroddy.

Have Canadians ever been better than pretty good?

The Conserative Party has just shot itself in the foot. Poilievre will destroy the party and we'll be stuck with the Dauphin Justin for a couple more political cycles. This is not a good day for Canadian politics.

No cheers but still be well.
Grumpy Evilroddy.

"Dauphin Justin"

That's the first time I've seen you go to absurd nicknames

@Allan, Thank you for leading me here. I have received a crash course in Canadian politics due to my prurient interest.🍿
Me too. It's good stuff.

ETA: the crash course bit. Not necessarily the prurient part.

I think Canada will say what we said, "Canada is already great".

@Allan, Thank you for leading me here. I have received a crash course in Canadian politics due to my prurient interest.🍿
I'll update you. Everyone here knows their stuff except for the guy looking under the bed for Commies, and Washunut who's under it looking for last week's gum.

ASHES is taking notes. For the record you see. 😉

It can't be that difficult to establish residency in Australia, can it?

GDP (in US$) per capita by country or territory
Country/TerritoryUN RegionIMFUnited NationsWorld Bank
EstimateYearEstimateYearEstimateYear

Ireland *Europe101,509202286,251202099,1522021
Norway *Europe99,481202266,871202089,2822021
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States *
Americas76,027202263,123202069,2872021
Denmark *Europe68,094202261,477202067,8032021
23px-Flag_of_Australia_%28converted%29.svg.png
Australia *
Oceania67,464202255,823202059,9342021
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada *
Americas57,406202243,560202052,0512021
New Zealand *Oceania49,847202243,972202048,8022021
United Kingdom *Europe49,761202240,718202047,3342021
France *Europe44,747202238,959202043,5192021

"Dauphin Justin"

That's the first time I've seen you go to absurd nicknames
Fearandloathing:

Trudeau the Younger has pissed me off too many times. Cashiering electoral reform, paying a prohibitively high price for a bankrupt pipeline to compensate foreign investors, SNC Lavalin scandal, cashiering Jody Wilson-Raybould, etc. have almost completely discredited Trudeau Secundus in my eyes.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Back
Top Bottom