• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New CBS YouGov poll out and making the news today

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Biden gets 42% approval in this poll, which is higher than his current job approval average. But, for this specific poll, it's his low point so far. The poll does provide some good detail about categories - those which are most important to voters right now and how he rates on them.

Screenshot 2022-04-10 093327.pngScreenshot 2022-04-10 093416.png

"Negative judgments are overwhelmingly based on inflation, and gas prices."

Which political party do you think will suffer the most because of that? Or do you believe those issues will not exist in November?

AS I keep saying until consumers stop paying for inflated values Biden can do little on inflation.
The admin can demand higher interest rates yet I have questioned this tool for that reason.

I say don't pay inflation rates I say negotiate on everything or don't buy!!!!!!

Shows you why not to take polls as a measure of reality.
The economy is actually doing well.

The Economy Is Good, Actually​

U.S. economy grew 5.7 percent in 2021, fastest full-year clip since 1984, despite ongoing pandemic​

How is the US economy doing compared to pre-pandemic levels?​

inflation prices = scam

The economy is actually doing well.

The Economy Is Good, Actually​

U.S. economy grew 5.7 percent in 2021, fastest full-year clip since 1984, despite ongoing pandemic​

How is the US economy doing compared to pre-pandemic levels?​

Talk about DISINFORMATION. :rolleyes:

Biden gets 42% approval in this poll, which is higher than his current job approval average. But, for this specific poll, it's his low point so far. The poll does provide some good detail about categories - those which are most important to voters right now and how he rates on them.

View attachment 67384849View attachment 67384850

I agree with the poll's priority except for the placement of Immigration. I would place that right behind Inflation, with crime following that. Russia/Ukraine would be my least concern.

The economy is actually doing well
I was watching Meet the Press yesterday and Todd was discussing the economy/inflation topic. (It might have been this very poll he was discussing.)
But he put up a graphic showing inflation was a 1.4% when Biden took office and is now at 7.9% (I think I have both those numbers correct, from memory of the graphic). As Todd discussed - that just overrides everything. Then it may have been on that same show or another Sunday show where the panel was discussing that issue and the discussion moved to how much money Biden continued to pump into the economy - past the time he should have still been doing so, in the opinion of the panelist.

I agree with the poll's priority except for the placement of Immigration. I would place that right behind Inflation, with crime following that. Russia/Ukraine would be my least concern.
Immigration might be in the number one place for me! What Biden has done with the border is beyond shocking and the ramifications will be terrible for decades - but everything about that open border and its ramifications were exactly what Biden wanted and invited. It's disgusting and luckily, I think a whole lot of voters agree. I think Biden has done immense damage to his party and to the country. No country can open a border like that and not expect some terrible financial and crime ramifications. Just imagine who is within this country among the millions of those who have just quietly and easily helped themselves to the U.S. and whatever intent they might have.

I was watching Meet the Press yesterday and Todd was discussing the economy/inflation topic. (It might have been this very poll he was discussing.)
But he put up a graphic showing inflation was a 1.4% when Biden took office and is now at 7.9% (I think I have both those numbers correct, from memory of the graphic). As Todd discussed - that just overrides everything. Then it may have been on that same show or another Sunday show where the panel was discussing that issue and the discussion moved to how much money Biden continued to pump into the economy - past the time he should have still been doing so, in the opinion of the panelist.
Money pumped into the economy to help offset the economic decline because of the extended covid pandemic.
This was much needed at the time.
Short term inflation was gong to be a factor but even with that the economy is doing surprisingly well despite the doom and gloom offered by the media and the far right.
And inflation is not the sole indicator of a healthy economy.
Other factors are GDP, Employment Figures, Industrial Production, Consumer Spending, Home Sales, Home Building, Manufacturing Demand, and Retail Sales

Money pumped into the economy to help offset the economic decline because of the extended covid pandemic.
This was much needed at the time.
Short term inflation was gong to be a factor but even with that the economy is doing surprisingly well despite the doom and gloom offered by the media and the far right.
And inflation is not the sole indicator of a healthy economy.
Other factors are GDP, Employment Figures, Industrial Production, Consumer Spending, Home Sales, Home Building, Manufacturing Demand, and Retail Sales
Some of it was needed and for a time. But the fact that it went too far and for too long has brought us to a huge problem. "Short term" inflation is a quickly dissolving narrative. About 40% of our economists think we'll actually head into recession in the next 2 years and nearly 30% think that will happen within a year. That is not a "rosy economy" scenario, by a long shot!
I think we get our next CPI release tomorrow. We'll see how it looks.

About 40% of our economists think we'll actually head into recession in the next 2 years and nearly 30% think that will happen within a year.
So 60% think there won't be a recession in the next 2 years and 70% think it won't happen in the next year. Good to know!

So 60% think there won't be a recession in the next 2 years and 70% think it won't happen in the next year. Good to know!
This comment makes me wonder if the word "recession" is a word you don't understand. I think it's happened less than 10 times in my lifetime and I'm at the tail end of my life.

This comment makes me wonder if the word "recession" is a word you don't understand. I think it's happened less than 10 times in my lifetime and I'm at the tail end of my life.
Odd that it it would make you think that.....

You said ...... 40% of our economists think we'll actually head into recession in the next 2 years.
I said.............. So 60% think there won't be a recession in the next 2 years.

From that, you construe that I don't understand the word recession.......OK.

Some of it was needed and for a time. But the fact that it went too far and for too long has brought us to a huge problem. "Short term" inflation is a quickly dissolving narrative. About 40% of our economists think we'll actually head into recession in the next 2 years and nearly 30% think that will happen within a year. That is not a "rosy economy" scenario, by a long shot!
I think we get our next CPI release tomorrow. We'll see how it looks.

Traditionally The Bureau of Economic Analysis measures the gross domestic product (GDP) that defines recessions.
GDP numbers are good and projected to continue on the upswing

Odd that it it would make you think that.....

You said ...... 40% of our economists think we'll actually head into recession in the next 2 years.
I said.............. So 60% think there won't be a recession in the next 2 years.

From that, you construe that I don't understand the word recession.......OK.
Yep!!!!!
40% of economists expecting recession is a very big and concerning deal. Your attempted twisted rosy picture (60% yadayadayada) is a silly comment, lol.

Yep!!!!!
40% of economists expecting recession is a very big and concerning deal. Your attempted twisted rosy picture (60% yadayadayada) is a silly comment, lol.
40% do means 60% dont........and I'm silly? OK

Traditionally The Bureau of Economic Analysis measures the gross domestic product (GDP) that defines recessions.
GDP numbers are good and projected to continue on the upswing
Yep, GDP is one of the things that defines a recession and we aren't in a recession now.
But, according to economists, the chances of one have doubled to a very uncomfortable level and those chances have doubled in a very short time. Concerned eyes are wide open. We'll see if the Fed is capable of navigating their available options to help prevent one.

But, according to economists, the chances of one have doubled to a very uncomfortable level and those chances have doubled in a very short time
Important to quantify.....according to 40% of economists.....as per or own post

Everything Joe Brandon touches turns to oatmeal with mashed bananas.

Important to quantify.....according to 40% of economists.....as per or own post
I suggest you try reading this exchange to an adult - a husband, friend, or adult child (comments 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18 and 19) - without even mentioning you are a part of it. Maybe just ask what they think of this exchange and the content/points of the exchange.;)
If you're willing to try that, please report back. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom