• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New broad spectrum anti-viral drug could be new pill against COVID-19 & other viruses.

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

During a systematic search for new drugs that would be effective therapeutics against COVID-19 & similar viruses, researchers at the NIH recently published info on 4'-fluorouridine, a simple analog derivative of the natural nucleoside uridine. Research was done in collaboration with Georgia State UNIV. Like the new Pfizer protease inhibitor, this drug would be given in pill form.

Don't you have to take that within the first few days? People who don't care about Covid, don't wear masks, or do vaccines will hardly notice symptoms in time to take that pill. Just a guess on my part.

Don't you have to take that within the first few days? People who don't care about Covid, don't wear masks, or do vaccines will hardly notice symptoms in time to take that pill. Just a guess on my part.
Ask a physician who has to deal with this same question. I am only involved with chemicals & their effect on pathogens.

During a systematic search for new drugs that would be effective therapeutics against COVID-19 & similar viruses, researchers at the NIH recently published info on 4'-fluorouridine, a simple analog derivative of the natural nucleoside uridine. Research was done in collaboration with Georgia State UNIV. Like the new Pfizer protease inhibitor, this drug would be given in pill form.
Science rocks.

Ask a physician who has to deal with this same question. I am only involved with chemicals & their effect on pathogens.
Got ya.

I hope there is SOMETHING that proves to be convenient and effective.

It will be too bad if someone finds "The Magic Bullet" and Trump endorses it.

Half of the country will refuse to use it. ;)

How so? Trump endorses the existing vaccines and we see how that is turning out...

That is an important point. A treatment which works only if given shortly before of after exposure has a very limited application window.

I'm not a physician, but my guess would be the earlier the better. The pill wouldn't help with fibrosis or bacterial pneumonia.

That is an important point. A treatment which works only if given shortly before of after exposure has a very limited application window.
An antiviral drug available in pill form could very likely become available OTC. The Pfizer drug is effective for a range of coronaviruses including some that cause the common cold, another respiratory virus.

An antiviral drug available in pill form could very likely become available OTC. The Pfizer drug is effective for a range of coronaviruses including some that cause the common cold, another respiratory virus.

My concern is that by the time symptoms appear it may be too late for that drug to work as well as it did in the study. After all, under lab conditions one knows when exposure will occur - that is not the case outside the lab.

That would greatly improve it's success IMO because people could have it on hand.

You don't understand. It doesn't matter if Trump supports it or not. What matters is that it goes through clinical trials in double blind tests, and go through trials where it's effecency is compared with side effects before a proper evaluation is made. I would not trust any medical advice that comes through Trump. I will trust real doctors.

You don't understand. It doesn't matter if Trump supports it or not. What matters is that it goes through clinical trials in double blind tests, and go through trials where it's effecency is compared with side effects before a proper evaluation is made. I would not trust any medical advice that comes through Trump. I will trust real doctors.

I do understand.

You missed my point entirely.

Like Dr. Fauci?

I do understand.

You missed my point entirely.
You're right, Trump fans wouldn't support it at this point even if Trump did endorse it. They're that far off the rails with covid.

I wish them much success. Any new tool
in our tool box to battle COVID will be greatly appreciated.

You're right, Trump fans wouldn't support it at this point even if Trump did endorse it. They're that far off the rails with covid.

You persist in spreading this lie.

Why?

You persist in spreading this lie.

Why?
What do you think he is lying about?
I am not sure what you are objecting to. You are being too vague.

We have precedent with the vaccine.

The politician that most directly and vocally undermined the prospects for the effectiveness of the vaccines was Biden.

The politician that was right behind him in denying any trust in the vaccines was Harris.

Them's the facts.

What do you think he is lying about?
I am not sure what you are objecting to. You are being too vague.

Trump spearheaded the campaign to accelerate the creation and the subsequent distribution of the vaccines.

Those afflicted with TDS despise wide swaths of the population and classify them all as Trump Supporters regardless of rationality or reason.

Those who hate love to hate and will use short cuts to arrive at the paths to help them arrive at their hate. This is one of those paths.

The politician that most directly and vocally undermined the prospects for the effectiveness of the vaccines was Biden.

The politician that was right behind him in denying any trust in the vaccines was Harris.

Them's the facts.
Hahahaha sure buddy.

Back
Top Bottom