• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New bratwurst

Bootlace

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
So, my wife and I being home brewers, I do the beer, and she does hard cider, hard lemonade, and hard rootbeer, changed up our brat recipe. Aside from the spice bill, I usually put two classes of whatever homebrew is on tap at that moment into the 15# batch. Last night we substituted the beer for hard Apple cider. WOW! What a discovery. We got the idea when I simmered some of our beer brats in cider to the point of almost carmelization.

Pork and apple just go well together.
mmmmmm.

So, my wife and I being home brewers, I do the beer, and she does hard cider, hard lemonade, and hard rootbeer, changed up our brat recipe. Aside from the spice bill, I usually put two classes of whatever homebrew is on tap at that moment into the 15# batch. Last night we substituted the beer for hard Apple cider. WOW! What a discovery. We got the idea when I simmered some of our beer brats in cider to the point of almost carmelization.

Pork and apple just go well together.
mmmmmm.
That's a classic combination!

If memory serves me right, there's a town or region in France that specializes in raising pigs on a diet of apples for this very reason!

If memory serves me right, there's a town or region in France that specializes in raising pigs on a diet of apples for this very reason!

Sounds familiar.

If there is a piece of pork in the smoker, a 50/50 mix of Apple/cherry wood is too. My tribe tends to like spicy so I don't often take it off the rails too far. I'm going to have to give some of these brats away and wait for the reviews. Just in time as the kraut is just now finishing up.

Sounds familiar.

If there is a piece of pork in the smoker, a 50/50 mix of Apple/cherry wood is too. My tribe tends to like spicy so I don't often take it off the rails too far. I'm going to have to give some of these brats away and wait for the reviews. Just in time as the kraut is just now finishing up.
Kraut? Nice!

Now toss one of those brats in a sesame seed hot dog bun, slap on some mustard, and top with your kraut, finally garnishing with a sport pepper or two , and you've got one helluva' sandwich! :thumbs:

Hamon Iberico, from pigs raised on acorns, is something else entirely. Great stuff, if you want to splurge on a bit. (Tends to be pretty expensive in Spain, and twice as expensive here. Saw it for 50-170 Euro/kg over there. Often see it for more like 70-80/lb here. Of course, you maybe only get 1/4 lb and it's very thinly sliced).

Hamon Serrano (previously mentioned) is also pretty good, but doesn't have the same taste.

We previously couldn't get it in the US because the FDA's rules on dried meats exposed to air were pretty stupid.

I combine cooked brat links cut in to one inch pieces, cooked rice and drained Claussen brand kraut then submerged in apple juice for 30 minutes then drained again in a casserole dish and heat in the oven covered at 325 for 30 minutes. It's great with jalapenos on the side and a little mustard. Add ice cold beer in a frozen mug. Heaven.

This thread really SUCKS without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

This thread really SUCKS without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Tah dah!

4Aj3fHc.jpg
8ZIo4TJ.jpg
3NpcXaa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom