• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New bathroom

That is really small. Do you need a second shower? If it was me I'd leave it as a nice 2 piece, if there's another shower in the house.
I agree. But it all depends on if the house already has two or just one other bathroom. The OP said covert to a "full bathroom" which I think he said wrong. A full bath is: toilet, sink, shower AND tub.... or shower/tub combo. The space he describes---plus the location being off a kitchen is best as a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink) or what some people just call a powder room for quest convenience, but not to bathe.

The recommendations to make it wet a bath like are popular in places like Japan where space is limited, is not a good idea here. I like to think in terms of what prospective buyers may like in terms of bathrooms, as bathroom remodels and/or additions can recoup nearly 100% of your investment if done well.

So, I would if I were the OP either just do a half bath, or find a way to make more space there by moving some wall if that is doable to have more room to work with. Or if it is too tight there and he really wants to add a shower and a toilet....well, since it is next to the kitchen there is the kitchen sink to wash your hands. The OP said the space is 4.9x5.7--- the 4.9 wall makes it really tight for most fixture layouts which for a 3/4 bath usually need at least 6x6 unless you use a pocket door instead of a swinging door. Or there is also a prison toilet solution... just kidding.

Bagram_prison_cell_toilet_master_bathroom.jpg

Yes, there's the one main bathroom. It's for added value, and for me when I tear up the other bathroom.
Ok I see. Generally speaking unless you can make it nice with a 3 piece in a small space it won't add value. Buyers looking at it will frown and you'll have the "this needs to be fixed" issue realtors hate.

One option I'd consider is the suggestion above where the whole bathroom becomes the shower. If you want to do that temporarily you can get paneling that will protect your walls and then be removed after. Use it while you redo the main bathroom, then turn it back into a 2 piece. 1 and a half baths isn't a bad selling feature in a small home.

Good luck!

Ok I see. Generally speaking unless you can make it nice with a 3 piece in a small space it won't add value. Buyers looking at it will frown and you'll have the "this needs to be fixed" issue realtors hate.

One option I'd consider is the suggestion above where the whole bathroom becomes the shower. If you want to do that temporarily you can get paneling that will protect your walls and then be removed after. Use it while you redo the main bathroom, then turn it back into a 2 piece. 1 and a half baths isn't a bad selling feature in a small home.

Good luck!
Drains and supply water would still be necessary.

So I'm converting the small nook off my kitchen into a full bath if possible. The space if very tight about 4'9"x5'7". I'm trying to figure out how to fit small components into it. Seems the smallest shower is about 32", and the sink will likely be a corner sink (31"x24") on the same wall, adjacent corner as the shower. I'm leaving the other adjacent corner to the sink for the toilet. A 24" door (opening outward to the kitchen) will be adjacent the shower. Bathroom fixtures, stalls, vanities/sinks are extremely expensive these days. And those aren't even the highest quality items (Home Depot/Lowes). I'm trying to decide if I should put tile in behind the shower or use a kit; because the kits aren't cheap.
Bathrooms off of kitchens are fine except for times of gastro-intestinal distress...

Drains and supply water would still be necessary.
Yeap. Just rough them in and remove once you're done.

I had the same problem in a house I renovated in Manitoba. I made a temporary shower in the Basement while I renovated the main bathroom and then tore everything out when I was done.

Yeap. Just rough them in and remove once you're done.

I had the same problem in a house I renovated in Manitoba. I made a temporary shower in the Basement while I renovated the main bathroom and then tore everything out when I was done.

Karen and I were very lucky because the VA gave us one of those FEMA/military/RedCross type portable folding field shower units, with electric drain pump and everything.
So, while the master bath was being converted for handicap access we were showering in the garage!
Crazy, but it worked.

PS: That mini full bath you're talking about sounds like what I had in my very first apartment, a 120 SF bachelor pad.

Last edited:
Bathrooms off of kitchens are fine except for times of gastro-intestinal distress...
I am considering putting a 3/4 bathroom attached to my work shed in the back. A place where I can be free to contaminate the planet in peace.

When my grandfather was still alive he had an outhouse out near the barn. It was lighted, had a heater, a radio, and was far away from the farmhouse which was tiny and had only a single bathroom right off the living room. Not sure about other people, but I can't really GO well if I sense other people too close by. Things just don't seem to relax properly. I don't know how guys in the military can stay "regular" with this situation, unless it is the crappy food going through them like shit through a goose,

3fb35f1da933357b53439a32043e61e3--funny-bathroom-bathroom-stuff.jpg

I am considering putting a 3/4 bathroom attached to my work shed in the back. A place where I can be free to contaminate the planet in peace.

When my grandfather was still alive he had an outhouse out near the barn. It was lighted, had a heater, a radio, and was far away from the farmhouse which was tiny and had only a single bathroom right off the living room. Not sure about other people, but I can't really GO well if I sense other people too close by. Things just don't seem to relax properly. I don't know how guys in the military can stay "regular" with this situation, unless it is the crappy food going through them like shit through a goose,

3fb35f1da933357b53439a32043e61e3--funny-bathroom-bathroom-stuff.jpg
When I was living in China I was flying out of Wuhan and had to use the bathroom. The little airport hadn't opened up the security screening area and the only other bathroom was a shack across the parking lot. When I got there it was a trench with boards on either side. It was completely open and there were a few guys already using it for for numbers 1 and 2. It is very difficult, in a suit, to do your business in that type of situation.

So I'm converting the small nook off my kitchen into a full bath if possible. The space if very tight about 4'9"x5'7". I'm trying to figure out how to fit small components into it. Seems the smallest shower is about 32", and the sink will likely be a corner sink (31"x24") on the same wall, adjacent corner as the shower. I'm leaving the other adjacent corner to the sink for the toilet. A 24" door (opening outward to the kitchen) will be adjacent the shower. Bathroom fixtures, stalls, vanities/sinks are extremely expensive these days. And those aren't even the highest quality items (Home Depot/Lowes). I'm trying to decide if I should put tile in behind the shower or use a kit; because the kits aren't cheap.
Using tiles if you want a smaller size may be a solution

I love a new bathroom. That is why I live in fine hotels and change regularly. They are always so new.

If you haven't started already, you might want to check with the city to see if you have to meet certain building code requirements. For example, you might have to check the old flooring for asbestos or might be required to install a ceiling fan in the bathroom even if the room has a window.

Back
Top Bottom