• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

#NeverTrump [W:66]

donsutherland1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
While reading some news and commentary online this morning, I came across a link that led to an opinion piece by Laura Ingraham entitled “A Time to Unite” (A Time to Unite | LifeZette). Ingraham called for Republicans to unite around Donald Trump.

Her central argument concerns the opportunity for Republicans to regain control of the White House. She explained, “…if Hillary wins, all Republicans will be shut out of the executive and judicial branches of government for four more years… [A] Trump victory would give lots of Republicans a chance to wield levers of power that can only be reached from the White House.”

She closed her piece by writing that “all Republicans have some big choices to make,” while simultaneously warning, “The citizenry will be watching closely.”

Republicans most definitely have a highly consequential choice before them. That’s not up for question.

But if one looks more closely at the piece, it is missing something very big.

Of course, there’s nothing about policy, ideas, or solutions. But good Americans have some sharply contrasting opinions on policy matters, the role of government, etc. Something far more basic yet far less contentious is lacking.

There is nothing in Ingraham’s commentary that appeals to Republican voters to embrace Trump on grounds of making a good, respectable, or honorable choice. It’s all about seizing what appears to be an opportunity to gain power. That lack of ability to rally voters to Trump on grounds of making a good, respectable, or honorable choice is not simply a flaw that is limited to Ingraham’s opinion piece. It is the fatal flaw of the Trump candidacy itself.

There is nothing good, respectable, or honorable about a Presidential candidate who divides people along ethnic and religious lines and condemns large groups of people as ‘bad.’ Whatever happened to judging individuals on the basis of their own character or conduct?

There’s nothing good, respectable, or honorable about a Presidential candidate who seeks to strip the First Amendment of its meaning when it comes to protections afforded the Media and religious freedom. Whatever happened to limited government?

There is nothing good, respectable, or honorable about a Presidential candidate who ruthlessly seeks to destroy the character and reputations of those who seek to block his path to power. Whatever happened to integrity?

Even if the author is correct in her assessment that Trump is the single Republican candidate who can win the election this year—a highly dubious assumption based on the polling data—the far better choice is to unite behind his opponent. In the primaries, there is now a single candidate who still has a small but real chance to defeat Trump. The Ohio Governor, who abandoned the Salt Lake City debate an hour after Trump said that he would not attend and gave Trump the cover he needed to avoid the consequences from doing so, is not that candidate. There is a strong probability that Trump will, in fact, prevail and become the Republican nominee for President.

Trump lacks the character, capacity, and policy solutions to allow the nation to address its challenges or pursue its opportunities. For all his nationalistic rhetoric, he is incapable of viewing all of the nation’s people as a single, American people capable of helping the nation forge an ever better future.

Trump is no Republican. He is no Conservative. He is only a loud and highly insecure demagogue.

In the traditional Republican and Conservative perspective, it is the American people who made the nation great. In Trump’s worldview, “e pluribus unum” is obsolete. As has been the case with demagogues across time, Trump is filled with narcissistic hubris. He believes that he alone can make the nation “great” and that no one else can. He is also plagued by an enormous sense of insecurity. He sees enemies everywhere—at home and abroad, among Americans and allies, alike. For him, diversity is only weakness and differing perspectives are threats.

Occasionally, there are things that are vastly more important than whether one major party or the other gains power. Election 2016 presents one such occasion.

In today’s era of Social Media, the hashtag #NeverTrump conveys the only good, respectable, and honorable choice available to the electorate. #NeverTrump will be equally relevant in the Primary process and the general election. And, as Ingraham observed, “The citizenry will be watching closely.”

Re: #NeverTrump

There is nothing in Ingraham’s commentary that appeals to Republican voters to embrace Trump on grounds of making a good, respectable, or honorable choice. It’s all about seizing what appears to be an opportunity to gain power. That lack of ability to rally voters to Trump on grounds of making a good, respectable, or honorable choice is not simply a flaw that is limited to Ingraham’s opinion piece. It is the fatal flaw of the Trump candidacy itself.

There is nothing good, respectable, or honorable about a Presidential candidate who divides people along ethnic and religious lines and condemns large groups of people as ‘bad.’ Whatever happened to judging individuals on the basis of their own character or conduct?

There’s nothing good, respectable, or honorable about a Presidential candidate who seeks to strip the First Amendment of its meaning when it comes to protections afforded the Media and religious freedom. Whatever happened to limited government?

There is nothing good, respectable, or honorable about a Presidential candidate who ruthlessly seeks to destroy the character and reputations of those who seek to block his path to power. Whatever happened to integrity?

Even if the author is correct in her assessment that Trump is the single Republican candidate who can win the election this year—a highly dubious assumption based on the polling data—the far better choice is to unite behind his opponent. In the primaries, there is now a single candidate who still has a small but real chance to defeat Trump. The Ohio Governor, who abandoned the Salt Lake City debate an hour after Trump said that he would not attend and gave Trump the cover he needed to avoid the consequences from doing so, is not that candidate. There is a strong probability that Trump will, in fact, prevail and become the Republican nominee for President.

Trump lacks the character, capacity, and policy solutions to allow the nation to address its challenges or pursue its opportunities. For all his nationalistic rhetoric, he is incapable of viewing all of the nation’s people as a single, American people capable of helping the nation forge an ever better future.

Trump is no Republican. He is no Conservative. He is only a loud and highly insecure demagogue.

In the traditional Republican and Conservative perspective, it is the American people who made the nation great. In Trump’s worldview, “e pluribus unum” is obsolete. As has been the case with demagogues across time, Trump is filled with narcissistic hubris. He believes that he alone can make the nation “great” and that no one else can. He is also plagued by an enormous sense of insecurity. He sees enemies everywhere—at home and abroad, among Americans and allies, alike. For him, diversity is only weakness and differing perspectives are threats.

Occasionally, there are things that are vastly more important than whether one major party or the other gains power. Election 2016 presents one such occasion.

In today’s era of Social Media, the hashtag #NeverTrump conveys the only good, respectable, and honorable choice available to the electorate. #NeverTrump will be equally relevant in the Primary process and the general election. And, as Ingraham observed, “The citizenry will be watching closely.”

This is a fantastic post.

For Conservatives, the need to draw bright lines here is critical. We need to make our rejection of this man clear and able to be easily referenced, or we will have him hung around our necks for 50 years.

2/3 of GOP Non-Trump Supporters Say They'd Vote for 3rd Party in Election. We need to raise this number as high as possible, and make it clear that we reject what he is and what he stands for.

#NeverTrump.

NeverTrump_shirt_1024x1024.jpgp

I donated to Rubio to get one of these

This is a fantastic post.

For Conservatives, the need to draw bright lines here is critical. We need to make our rejection of this man clear and able to be easily referenced, or we will have him hung around our necks for 50 years.

2/3 of GOP Non-Trump Supporters Say They'd Vote for 3rd Party in Election. We need to raise this number as high as possible, and make it clear that we reject what he is and what he stands for.

#NeverTrump.

Thanks, cpwill.

In my view, when Trump began focusing on narrowing First Amendment protections, that should have been the seminal moment or “red line” that shattered any support he had from conservatives. After all, if the First Amendment is negotiable, what else in the Constitution is also negotiable? If the whole Constitution is negotiable, then the entire American Republic that was won and sustained through great sacrifice would also be negotiable.

Some conservative personalities e.g., CNN’s Amanda Carpenter, have correctly recognized the danger Trump poses to the American conservative movement. Yet, that movement is divided even as Trump moves closer to securing the nomination. Others, e.g., Laura Ingraham, have actually embraced Trump.

That latter group has been so blinded by Trump’s charisma, his narrative of personal success, and his promises to “make America great again” that it has lost sight of Trump’s disconnect with the principles that have long animated American conservatism. The glamor of Trump’s celebrity status is a very poor substitute for clear, timeless guiding principles. It is no substitute for the basic principles on which the United States was established—the principles that were articulated in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

If Trump wins the nomination and if he succeeds in radically redefining conservatism to mirror his own amorphous and opportunistic populist philosophy, there will only be a great void left where the United States once had a strong center-right voice. The nation will become a de facto single party state. In such a setting, it would lose the dynamism that can only exist when multiple vigorous perspectives compete for influence and it would lose the restraint that is only possible when one major party is counterbalanced by another. Over time, the United States would risk both stagnation and fragility.

great characterization of the donald
and then i saw you snidely dismissed kasich in order to qualify cruz

the ONLY thing that would ever cause me to vote for trump is if the only other candidate was cruz
this excerpt says it better:
... Cruz is dead-serious about hauling the country into retrograde theocracy and Gilded Age economics. ...
and this
... Cruz considers himself to be both a vehicle for political extremism and the instrument of the living God. You decide which frightens you more. ...
Don’t Let Trump’s Antics Distract You From Cruz’s Unwavering Extremist Agenda

trump is everything you allege
yet, cruz is even worse

the ONLY legitimate republican option is kasich

I've been seeing that, or similar sentiment, a lot lately.

Like, with astonishing frequency.

Yet up until maybe two weeks ago you never heard Kasich's name at all, except maybe as an afterthought or, when discussing the race with a well-educated Democrat, as an option who, while not at all their first choice, was probably the Republican candidate they would be least appalled to have to live with.

It's kind of like a weird redux of 2012 except instead of the Republican front runner changing more often than I change my socks, and at each change the Republicans assuring everyone that they had finally struck on the candidate that was "going to bring this one home, we've instead got a situation where the clear and consistent front runner is knocking the also-rans off one by one and at every turn the Republicans insisting now that they've finally got the guy who can take it all away from Trump (until, of course, the new "first loser" drops out of the race).

Anyhow, this isn't so much a commentary on your personal views on the election, which I'm completely ignorant of.

For all I know you might very well be a life-long (or at least campaign-long) Kasich supporter and based on your profile you don't even consider yourself a Republican.

I'm just making an observation about how in general I think it's funny how Republicans always seem to repeatedly change their candidate du jour.

Not debating what you actually said.

I had stated it before, I will state it here more clearly, TED CRUZ is my candidate.

However, Ingram has a very valid point. We have just had 7 plus years of the worst presidency since Jimmy Carter. Hell, Carter was only one term and ineffective. Obama has done some real damage that Hillary, who very well could be worse, might well go further down that path and do irreparable damage in 4 years...but what if it instead were another 8... added to this 8?

My god folks, you are so worried about upholding the Conservative title while looking at the potential complete collapse of America staring us back in the face. Trump is more conservative on some issues than any of the candidates and is showing that he is the people's choice in the party. I am not for liberal elites and so I am damn well not for so called conservative elites making those decisions for us. We get enough of those attempts from the media.

Myself, I cannot stand Trump's liberal view on abortion nor same sex marriage. He is really not very conservative at all there. But I also know over the Hillary's views and while Trump has a penchant to change, otHillary's views dont stand a chance of changing. Religious freedom and 1st Amendment freedoms? Mixed reviews and, depending on the comment, runs the gamut, depending on point of view, from the good and doable to indefensible. I am pretty much on board with him of Immigration, Education, Taxes, yanking out Obamacare, trade, second amendment, entitlements, etc... at this point. I am never going to completely agree with any candidate, and as i said, I would much rather Cruz to be the winner.

But if Cruz is not, and T is, sorry... that should be a no-brainer... well, unless you truly have no brain. OTHillary is the greater of the two evils... how do you folks not see that?

I've been seeing that, or similar sentiment, a lot lately.

Like, with astonishing frequency.

Yet up until maybe two weeks ago you never heard Kasich's name at all, except maybe as an afterthought or, when discussing the race with a well-educated Democrat, as an option who, while not at all their first choice, was probably the Republican candidate they would be least appalled to have to live with.
Actually, there has been decent coverage of Kasich all the way through since his candidacy announcement. Perhaps not on Fox News, but certainly in the real media.

You're hearing more about him now only because he's counting on a brokered convention, in which he can convince the leadership that he's the most electable in November.

It's kind of like a weird redux of 2012 except instead of the Republican front runner changing more often than I change my socks, and at each change the Republicans assuring everyone that they had finally struck on the candidate that was "going to bring this one home, we've instead got a situation where the clear and consistent front runner is knocking the also-rans off one by one and at every turn the Republicans insisting now that they've finally got the guy who can take it all away from Trump (until, of course, the new "first loser" drops out of the race).
You should go barefoot more often.

the ONLY thing that would ever cause me to vote for trump is if the only other candidate was cruz
this excerpt says it better:

and this

Don’t Let Trump’s Antics Distract You From Cruz’s Unwavering Extremist Agenda

trump is everything you allege
yet, cruz is even worse

Kasich has zero mathematical potential to get to 1,237, and is obviously positioning himself to be able to swing enough votes to Trump to put him over in a contested convention, which he is helping to ensure occurs, so that he can be VP. donsutherland was right to dismiss him as an option for conservatives, or Republicans interested in the survival of their movement and their party, which, respectfully, is a group that does not include you.

I do try to keep up, but other things and issues do press me for time as well... so, unlike a lot of you here that, apparently, hang on the every word of The Donald, what is it he said in particular which set in this statement from you:

In my view, when Trump began focusing on narrowing First Amendment protections, that should have been the seminal moment or “red line” that shattered any support he had from conservatives. After all, if the First Amendment is negotiable, what else in the Constitution is also negotiable? If the whole Constitution is negotiable, then the entire American Republic that was won and sustained through great sacrifice would also be negotiable.

Statements I have heard of his, when analyzed carefully,mostly seem within Constitutional boundaries. Maybe I missed it, please enlighten.

Thanks, cpwill.

I'm not a Muslim. But any time any POTUS candidate says that we should make any religious minority in America register with the government so that they can be tracked, the proper instinct for Americans is not to cheer him on, it is to rise up in fury at the man who would destroy our liberties.

What we are learning is that many Americans (ironically, many who like to boast about how "American" they are), are not actually Americans. They are authoritarians, with United States' citizenship.

Some conservative personalities e.g., CNN’s Amanda Carpenter, have correctly recognized the danger Trump poses to the American conservative movement. Yet, that movement is divided even as Trump moves closer to securing the nomination. Others, e.g., Laura Ingraham, have actually embraced Trump.

Ingraham, Hannity, Drudge... We've learned a lot about who people Really Are this election cycle.

That latter group has been so blinded by Trump’s charisma, his narrative of personal success, and his promises to “make America great again” that it has lost sight of Trump’s disconnect with the principles that have long animated American conservatism. The glamor of Trump’s celebrity status is a very poor substitute for clear, timeless guiding principles. It is no substitute for the basic principles on which the United States was established—the principles that were articulated in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

Money and threats also play into it. Trump is a ratings machine, and sites like Breitbart have been plausibly accused of taking money in return for good coverage. If you, as a conservative, take a line against Trump, or anything he says, he will attack you, personally, and he'll get his legion of fans to do the same.

If Trump wins the nomination and if he succeeds in radically redefining conservatism to mirror his own amorphous and opportunistic populist philosophy, there will only be a great void left where the United States once had a strong center-right voice. The nation will become a de facto single party state. In such a setting, it would lose the dynamism that can only exist when multiple vigorous perspectives compete for influence and it would lose the restraint that is only possible when one major party is counterbalanced by another. Over time, the United States would risk both stagnation and fragility.

And that is why I am #NeverTrump. Because the Republic is more important than a White House win.

Gov. Kasich currently has 145 delegates. To win the nomination, a candidate needs 1,237. Kasich would need to win 1,092 delegates in the remaining races. However, there are only 1,079 remaining delegates. Kasich has no mathematical chance to gain a majority of delegates.

Trump is in a strong position to reach or exceed 1,237 delegates (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/16/upshot/trump-cruz-kasich-republican-delegate-lead.html). Cruz is the last remaining candidate who has a small chance at winning 1,237 delegates.

That's the reality of the race as it currently stands.

Statements I have heard of his, when analyzed carefully,mostly seem within Constitutional boundaries. Maybe I missed it, please enlighten.

How about forcing all Muslims to register with the government so that they can be tracked in a database?

I'd love to see you point to the section that authorizes the Executive Branch to modify the First Amendment that way.

so it is ok for the RNC to disenfranchise over 7.5 million voters with this tidbit,i wonder why they said anything,i thank i know the RNC RHINOS have no idea that what they say is around the world in 60 sec.they are clueless this is not 1972 mr haugland is a card carrying member of the REBUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMUNIST PARTY.
here it is boys and girls the RNC will not exist if they do this.

I do try to keep up, but other things and issues do press me for time as well... so, unlike a lot of you here that, apparently, hang on the every word of The Donald, what is it he said in particular which set in this statement from you:

Several things:

1. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ng-the-media-easier-heres-how-he-could-do-it/ (to succeed, he'd actually have to reduce First Amendment protection of the Media)

2. http://www.nytimes.com/politics/fir...s-hed-absolutely-require-muslims-to-register/ (there's a big difference between requiring an entire group to be registered and tracking individuals for whom there is reasonable basis to believe they pose a threat)

Both ideas are incompatible with the First Amendment.

While reading some news and commentary online this morning, I came across a link that led to an opinion piece by Laura Ingraham entitled “A Time to Unite” (A Time to Unite | LifeZette). Ingraham called for Republicans to unite around Donald Trump.

Her central argument concerns the opportunity for Republicans to regain control of the White House. She explained, “…if Hillary wins, all Republicans will be shut out of the executive and judicial branches of government for four more years… [A] Trump victory would give lots of Republicans a chance to wield levers of power that can only be reached from the White House.”

She closed her piece by writing that “all Republicans have some big choices to make,” while simultaneously warning, “The citizenry will be watching closely.”

Republicans most definitely have a highly consequential choice before them. That’s not up for question.

But if one looks more closely at the piece, it is missing something very big.

Of course, there’s nothing about policy, ideas, or solutions. But good Americans have some sharply contrasting opinions on policy matters, the role of government, etc. Something far more basic yet far less contentious is lacking.

This has to rank among the best Thread Posts I have ever read on this or any other Discussion Forum Site since the time I started doing this which is nearly from the beginning. VERY WELL DONE :applaud

I agree
and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

and
Hillary Clinton barks like a dog to slam Republicans - CNNPolitics.com

Yet people elected one and will elect the other.

Kasich has zero mathematical potential to get to 1,237, and is obviously positioning himself to be able to swing enough votes to Trump to put him over in a contested convention, which he is helping to ensure occurs, so that he can be VP. donsutherland was right to dismiss him as an option for conservatives, or Republicans interested in the survival of their movement and their party, which, respectfully, is a group that does not include you.

i see two kasich scenarios
the donald will arrive in cleveland short of the 50% +1 delegate count
and being the only adult of the three will cause kasich to become the standard bearer by acclamation; and/or
like many of us, kasich views trump the lesser of two evils and intends to do America a favor and squash any chance of cruz becoming the GOP's presidential candidate

i see two kasich scenarios
the donald will arrive in cleveland short of the 50% +1 delegate count
and being the only adult of the three will cause kasich to become the standard bearer by acclamation; and/or
like many of us, kasich views trump the lesser of two evils and intends to do America a favor and squash any chance of cruz becoming the GOP's presidential candidate

I think you are confusing "how I see Kasich" with "how Republicans see Kasich".

A Cruz victory means a very conservative candidate. A Trump victory means a fascist candidate. One of these is indeed worse than the other, but you have them backwards.

I think you are confusing "how I see Kasich" with "how Republicans see Kasich".

A Cruz victory means a very conservative candidate. A Trump victory means a fascist candidate. One of these is indeed worse than the other, but you have them backwards.

and a kasich presidency would be good for America
not a retrograde descent as would be realized from either trump or, G_d forbid, cruz

and a kasich presidency would be good for America

You are free to think that.

not a retrograde descent as would be realized from either trump or, G_d forbid, cruz

And you are free to think that. I think you are wrong in both instances.

But this isn't a thread about Kasich, or Cruz. Go make a thread about either man, if you like. Invite me, I'll come join. This is a thread about #NeverTrump.

Because my little girl doesn't deserve to be treated like ****. She deserves to be treated with respect. #NeverTrump.

I'm #NeverTrump and I'm #ImNotWithHer. Ugh, politics.

I'm not a Muslim. But any time any POTUS candidate says that we should make any religious minority in America register with the government so that they can be tracked, the proper instinct for Americans is not to cheer him on, it is to rise up in fury at the man who would destroy our liberties.

What we are learning is that many Americans (ironically, many who like to boast about how "American" they are), are not actually Americans. They are authoritarians, with United States' citizenship.

100% agreed. Although I do have to confess that I'm surprised that Republicans didn't see who they were in bed with a lot sooner. Remember when the Left said that Fox News, Breitbart, Limbaugh, etc, were all stoking the flames of bigotry? Yeah, we weren't lying about that. But to be fair, Dems such as myself also learned that the DNC is exactly the corrupt institution Reps said it was.

So I guess the truth that both sides learned was that the GOP and the DNC are despicable institutions that have to be fought and destroyed if any side is going to make progress that doesn't amount to either authoritarianism or elitist establishment politics.

You are free to think that.

And you are free to think that. I think you are wrong in both instances.

But this isn't a thread about Kasich, or Cruz. Go make a thread about either man, if you like. Invite me, I'll come join. This is a thread about #NeverTrump.

Because my little girl doesn't deserve to be treated like ****. She deserves to be treated with respect. #NeverTrump.

no, i'll continue to post here, thank you
i agree with the never trump philosophy
and even more so in a never cruz position
which then provides only one legitimate, not bat-**** crazy candidate who could win the white house back for the GOP

Back
Top Bottom