• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nevada Senate Face-Off

zimmer

Educating the Ignorant
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Democratic Senator Harry Reid and Republican Sharon Angle faced off in their one and only televised debate Thursday night, both throwing punches.

The two disagree on virtually everything.

Never calling his opponent by name, Reid referred to Angle as "extreme" on more than one occasion. She hit back hard, ripping on Reid for letting other countries join the federal law suit against Arizona's tough anti-illegal immigration law. "Senator Reid, you've allowed 11 foreign countries dictate our immigration laws. That's just nuts".

Angle attacked Reid on the war, saying he owed an apology to the troops, "When you said the war was lost and General Petraus was dishonest, you demoralized our troops and endanged them, you need to apologize to them." Reid was cool in his explanation. The soft spoken Senator who has been endorsed by Veterans of Foreign Wars said his statement was that "the war can not be won just militarily, but economically and diplomatically". He called the surge "the right thing to do".

Read more: Nevada Senate Face-Off | Foxnews.com

I've read Angle mopped the floor with Reid; wouldn't mind hearing from Libs who saw it. And his comments (in bold) go beyond unbelievable. Looking for the vid of the debate but can't find it.

Las Vegas Review-Journal’s Sherman Frederick: “Angle mops the floor with Reid” (Sherman Frederick, “Angle mops the floor with Reid,” Las Vegas Review-Journal, 10/14/10)

Las Vegas Review-Journal’s Sherman Frederick: “She Hit Hard On A Variety Of Topics; Showed She Had The Fire To Be A U.S. Senator; Demonstrated A Command Of The Issues; And, Of Course, Stayed Gaffe Free.” (Sherman Frederick, “Angle mops the floor with Reid,” Las Vegas Review-Journal, 10/14/10)

Las Vegas Review-Journal’s Sherman Frederick: “Reid Meanwhile Looked Tired. Sounded Entitled. He mixed up the Department of Education with the Department of Energy. Couldn’t find his notes for the close and generally fell back on talking points on far too many questions.” (Sherman Frederick, “Angle mops the floor with Reid,” Las Vegas Review-Journal, 10/14/10)

The National Review’s Kathryn Jean Lopez: “The Grandmother From Reno Just Won The Only Nevada Senate Debate, Against The United States Senate Majority Leader. She held her own against someone who has been in the Senate since 1987.” (Kathryn Jean Lopez, “Ladies and Gentleman …” National Review, 10/14/10)

The National Review’s Kathryn Jean Lopez: “Congratulations, Mrs. Angle. I Suspect You Made More Than A Few Americans Frustrated With This Washington Proud. I love how the tea party has ignited a whole new spirit of urgent civic activism. And you’re a good, hardworking spokeswoman for it.” (Kathryn Jean Lopez, “Ladies and Gentleman …” National Review, 10/14/10)

The New Republic’s Ed Kilgore: “He [Reid] Was Also Exceptionally Defensive” (Ed Kilgore, “Harry Reid’s Missed Chances,” The New Republic, 10/14/10)

The Associated Press’ David Espo: “In A Crackling Campaign Debate, Republican Challenger Sharron Angle Attacked Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid On Thursday Night As A Career Politician Who Lives In A Fashionable Washington Condominium And Has Voted To Raise Taxes 300 Times. The four-term veteran called his tea party-backed rival extreme and accused her of distorting his record.” (David Espo, “Reid, Angle Trade Barbs In Nevada Senate Race,” The Associated Press, 10/14/10)

CBS’ Lucy Madison: “In Tonight’s Nevada Senate Debate, Republican Candidate Sharron Angle Hammered Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid Over A Legislator’s Role In Generating Economic Growth.” (Lucy Madison, “Sharron Angle to Harry Reid: It’s Not Your Job to Create Jobs,” CBS News, 10/14/10)

The Daily Kos’ Jed Lewison: “I Actually Think That Angle Did Do A Very Good Job Of Explaining What She Stands For . . . ” (Jed Lewison, “NV-Sen: The Reid-Angle Debate,” Daily Kos, 10/14/10)

Wait, him saying this war is not just a military issue is somehow ridiculous?

Will watch some of it before I go in to work.
edit: omg they cloned Mr. Rogers and made him a debate moderator.

edit: LOL
Angle: (on health care) "...we need the government to get out of healthcare so we can have tort reform."

Tort reform is government intervention.

Last edited:
20 minutes in and i've got to head out.
Early impressions:
-Both of these people are lousy speakers and it's so boring to listen to them.
-Angle is focused entirely on attacking Reid.
-Reid is mostly trying to explain how Angle is lying and how some of the things he's done have helped.
-Angle has two straight-up lies so far.
---1) Reid is allowing 11 foreign nations to dictate our immigration policy. (reality: 11 nations are filing briefs in the Arizona immigration case. that's not dictating and Reid isn't in charge of that decision anyway)
---2) Reid voted to "give social security benefits and tax cuts to illegal aliens" (reality: Horse****. Illegals who are later granted legal work status were eligible to receive credit for social security taxes already paid using a false SSN. Reid voted to uphold this system. His vote wouldn't give social security benefits to anyone. Calling it a "special tax break" is also silly, as it's just giving people credit for taxes they already paid.)

Last edited:
Wait, him saying this war is not just a military issue is somehow ridiculous?

Will watch some of it before I go in to work.
edit: omg they cloned Mr. Rogers and made him a debate moderator.

edit: LOL
Angle: (on health care) "...we need the government to get out of healthcare so we can have tort reform."

Tort reform is government intervention...

...in the justice system, as opposed to the health system.

Neither are cunning linguists, but I agree with the general consensus. Reid had a lot to defend and didn't do very well.

What I found sickening and what Angle should have hammered him on was his telling folks they should drop into his office to get their life/costs straight. He did it more than once, and that in a mere 50 minutes.

Last edited:
Neither are cunning linguists, but I agree with the general consensus. Reid had a lot to defend and didn't do very well.

What I found sickening and what Angle should have hammered him on was his telling folks they should drop into his office to get their life/costs straight. He did it more than once, and that in a mere 50 minutes.

Must have been later on. I gave up at about 20-25 minutes, couldn't stand listening to either of them any longer. :D

Back
Top Bottom