• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nevada Prosecutors Want to Jail People for Chalk Art

Dafuq? Do they realize that chalk actually washes away, even with natural rainfall?

No, it doesn't, trust me, you can still see my grandchildren's chalk "art" on my driveway a month after they did it, and this is Oregon - it rains. Requires some scubbing (which I'm too lazy to do). Yes, it's far easier to remove than paint, but that's not the issue - it's still defacement.

It's an easy arrest to avoid, just stay off other people's property. Seems pretty simple.

Last edited:
Dafuq? Do they realize that chalk actually washes away, even with natural rainfall?

My first thought as well. It washes away with plain water. If this isn't thinly veiled political persecution, I don't know what is.

I know it washes away easily because when I was a kid I would draw streets and cities on my back patio and play with my toy cars... and all it took was a hose or some rain to wash it all away.

Um...wouldn't a ticket and a court date suffice? Do we really need chalk artists in jail?

I wouldn't even support a ticket, but it would at least be more in line with the seriousness of offense.

Ya, well reversible damage to property (public or private) really is something that should be discouraged by the law.

My first thought as well. It washes away with plain water. If this isn't thinly veiled political persecution, I don't know what is.

I know it washes away easily because when I was a kid I would draw streets and cities on my back patio and play with my toy cars... and all it took was a hose or some rain to wash it all away.

When you were a kid you obviously missed the part where your parents had to scrub the damn patio. It does NOT just wash away. And again, not the point. Even if it were using something that did just wash away, it's still defacement.

Ya, well reversible damage to property (public or private) really is something that should be discouraged by the law.
It's no more damaging than bird poop. In fact, less so.

When you were a kid you obviously missed the part where your parents had to scrub the damn patio. It does NOT just wash away. And again, not the point. Even if it were using something that did just wash away, it's still defacement.
You assume. First, I often hosed it down myself so that I could make changes and start over. Second, while my mom went all :2mad: over it, my dad was fine with it, and if anybody was ever going to "scrub the damn patio"... which never happened because it was never necessary (fact)... it would have been him.

Third, when my kids and nieces and nephews were younger, we often bought sidewalk chalk and let them go to it during family events. It never lasted long. never more than a couple days. I cannot speak to your experiences, but my direct and varied experiences throughout my ever increasingly long life say you are flat out wrong. It DOES just wash away.

Bottom line, "defacement" is weak. It does no permanent damage whatsoever, and as such this is a thinly-veiled attempt at political persecution. Especially since they aren't prosecuting anybody else who isn't making political messages. Personally, I would be ashamed to claim support of such a feeble and unconvincing stance by our so-called justice system. But hey, if it works for you, have at it. Make sure they go after the little kids doing hop-scotch in the neighborhoods, too. That's no less "defacement".

You know, just the other day I was thinking to myself that we don't throw enough people into jail. Then I remembered all those sorority girls who would chalk up campus for events and thought, that sure as hell seems like a legitimate use of jail time!

Not only chalk, I think people who use pens on paper should be thrown in jail too! Defacing paper...that's like a tree, you're defacing nature!

How are they going to 5 year old in jail for this.

Are they saying there is a big problema with the adult population defacing public property with chalk?

You assume. First, I often hosed it down myself so that I could make changes and start over. Second, while my mom went all :2mad: over it, my dad was fine with it, and if anybody was ever going to "scrub the damn patio"... which never happened because it was never necessary (fact)... it would have been him.

Third, when my kids and nieces and nephews were younger, we often bought sidewalk chalk and let them go to it during family events. It never lasted long. never more than a couple days. I cannot speak to your experiences, but my direct and varied experiences throughout my ever increasingly long life say you are flat out wrong. It DOES just wash away.

Bottom line, "defacement" is weak. It does no permanent damage whatsoever, and as such this is a thinly-veiled attempt at political persecution. Especially since they aren't prosecuting anybody else who isn't making political messages. Personally, I would be ashamed to claim support of such a feeble and unconvincing stance by our so-called justice system. But hey, if it works for you, have at it. Make sure they go after the little kids doing hop-scotch in the neighborhoods, too. That's no less "defacement".

Keep going on about it, it won't make it any more true. I've had a child and now grandchildren. I'm sure others have had children/grandchildren use sidewalk chalk as well. It doesn't just wash away with the rain (unless you're talking about using a power sprayer). This isn't white blackboard chalk we're talking about either.

That aside, there's no "permanent damage" when you paint graffitti either. Defacement does not equal damage to the property, but damage to the look. It's against the law plain and simple, as it should be. Speaking of which, there's still a chalk outline for hop scotch on my driveway, my youngest granddaughter drew it at the beginning of summer (with my permission). It's rained many times since then.

I fully support giving this guy a criminal record for the rest of his life and all the consequences that follow

Keep going on about it, it won't make it any more true. I've had a child and now grandchildren. I'm sure others have had children/grandchildren use sidewalk chalk as well. It doesn't just wash away with the rain (unless you're talking about using a power sprayer). This isn't white blackboard chalk we're talking about either.

That aside, there's no "permanent damage" when you paint graffitti either. Defacement does not equal damage to the property, but damage to the look. It's against the law plain and simple, as it should be. Speaking of which, there's still a chalk outline for hop scotch on my driveway, my youngest granddaughter drew it at the beginning of summer (with my permission). It's rained many times since then.
That can be a two-way statement, ya know.

It seems obvious, by your stance, that you would favor your granddaughter being prosecuted if she were to do the same on a public sidewalk within the public right-of-way.

Is there much of a difference between washing chalk off a wall and painting over spray paint?

The vandalism was clearly extensive, so I don't see a problem with charging these "protesters". It's not like the guy drew a piece sign. I imagine it must have taken a pretty fair amount of time to wash all those walls, benches, and floors.

Is there much of a difference between washing chalk off a wall and painting over spray paint?

The vandalism was clearly extensive, so I don't see a problem with charging these "protesters". It's not like the guy drew a piece sign. I imagine it must have taken a pretty fair amount of time to wash all those walls, benches, and floors.
It probably did take some time, albeit probably less time than to clean up all the trash after a protest with lots of people.

A better punishment... if there has to be one at all... would be to have the people who did it clean something similar in nature. (Presuming this one had already been cleaned by the time this makes its way to court.) Jail time, and the associated costs, is way over-the-top.

Yes, there is much of a difference. In fact, in the post you quoted of mine, I very clearly detailed the biggest and most important difference: It will wash off when it rains.

In case you were unaware, paint won't usually wash off when it rains, it's a time consuming and sometimes expensive process to remove.

That can be a two-way statement, ya know.

It seems obvious, by your stance, that you would favor your granddaughter being prosecuted if she were to do the same on a public sidewalk within the public right-of-way.

Location, location, location. My daughter is actually an excellent parent and my granddaughter doesn't draw on the sidewalk. Heck she asked my permission to draw it on my driveway. And of course I don't advocate prosecuting little ones. But that's not what this law targets nor how it's applied.

Yes, there is much of a difference. In fact, in the post you quoted of mine, I very clearly detailed the biggest and most important difference: It will wash off when it rains.

In case you were unaware, paint won't usually wash off when it rains, it's a time consuming and sometimes expensive process to remove.

Chalk does not wash off when it rains.

It fades over time (as does paint) but it definitely requires more than simple rain to erase.

Chalk does not wash off when it rains.

It fades over time (as does paint) but it definitely requires more than simple rain to erase.

It's chalk... We have more important things to worry about in this country.

If you'd like to form a special task force to arrest all of the kids drawing on sidewalks, have fun doing that.

Location, location, location. My daughter is actually an excellent parent and my granddaughter doesn't draw on the sidewalk. Heck she asked my permission to draw it on my driveway. And of course I don't advocate prosecuting little ones. But that's not what this law targets nor how it's applied.
It was a hypothetical question... *if* she were to do so... and for example purposes only. I fully expected you to come back and say she never does and/or is never allowed to.

Just curious, but WHY shouldn't a kid be charged the same as an adult? Aren't laws intended to treat all people equally? Is it less defacing when a kid does it?

It was a hypothetical question... *if* she were to do so... and for example purposes only. I fully expected you to come back and say she never does and/or is never allowed to.

Just curious, but WHY shouldn't a kid be charged the same as an adult? Aren't laws intended to treat all people equally? Is it less defacing when a kid does it?

Mens rea, same answer that's always been.

If you'd like to form a special task force to arrest all of the kids drawing on sidewalks, have fun doing that.

Yes because that accurately reflects anything anyone has said in this discussion.

:roll:

It's "just" litter. It's "just" paint. It's "just" [insert whatever behavior you're trying to reduce]. Yes, there are more important things to worry about. But the law concerns itself with more than just the subset of things we consider the most momentarily pressing.

Again, the kid's do it argument is a tour of the ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom