• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nevada death row inmate asks to be killed by firing squad

Carbon monoxide in (CO) engine exhaust or from a defective water heater is very effective. During Superstorm Sandy, I had my generator out in the driveway. The wind shifted direction & the CO detector started chirping. I had a good case of CO poisoning by the time the FD arrived. Their meter confirmed the presence of CO in my laundry room. I refused to go to the hospital & instead went for a long walk to clear it out.

Physically painless, perhaps, but is certainly a way to inflict mental agony. After all, the inmate gets to sit there and wait.

If we were serious about making it painless, a shotgun blast to the back of the head would do the trick. Or the guillotine. But those are messy and we can't have any onlookers feeling queasy.

Physically painless, perhaps, but is certainly a way to inflict mental agony. After all, the inmate gets to sit there and wait.

If we were serious about making it painless, a shotgun blast to the back of the head would do the trick. Or the guillotine. But those are messy and we can't have any onlookers feeling queasy.
France used the Guillitione until they abolished the death penalty in the 1970s

I am not opposed to the death penalty, but I believe there’s no need to sanitize it and make it seem clinical.
When Washington state brought back the DP in the 80s they brought back hanging. Charles Campbell was hung and before then he filed a legal challenge arguing it was cruel and unusual, US district court judge John Coughneour (one of the most honorable men to ever wear robes) wrote “Campbell is not entitled to a painless death, only one free of wanton cruelty” I think that’s the standard to use.

France used the Guillitione until they abolished the death penalty in the 1970s

I am not opposed to the death penalty, but I believe there’s no need to sanitize it and make it seem clinical.
Why bother making it quick or painless at all? If we're going to keep the death penalty, why not make it as brutal and terrifying as possible? Don't hide it away in a prison room. Do it in public, as violently and bloodily as possible. Really force the public to come to terms with what it means to kill a human being. Then we'll see if they still support the death penalty.

Why bother making it quick or painless at all? If we're going to keep the death penalty, why not make it as brutal and terrifying as possible? Don't hide it away in a prison room. Do it in public, as violently and bloodily as possible. Really force the public to come to terms with what it means to kill a human being. Then we'll see if they still support the death penalty.

Public versus private execution is a prudential matter, neither is moral or immoral.

However the death penalty cannot be a form of physical torture. That is gravely immoral. Covering someone with blood and throwing them in a shark tank (assuming the sharks will eat him alize, I am not an expert in shark behavior but this is merely a hypothetical) would be wrong. A form of execution intended to cause a quick death is not.

Those States that have a death penalty having varying methods of execution. Most, like Nevada, are by lethal injection (Lethal injection is the sole method of execution in Nevada. [Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. §176.355]). Some States, like New Hampshire, still have hangings. While other States, like Mississippi, will allow a firing squad. Kentucky and Nebraska still have electrocutions as a means for execution.

Those alternative forms of execution, however, are only if lethal injection is held to be unconstitutional. Even then, it is often followed by nitrogen hypoxia as the alternative means, determined by the State. Hangings, firing squads, and electrocutions are only used if execution by nitrogen hypoxia is also deemed to be unconstitutional.

Either way, the State makes the determination on the method of execution, not the one being executed.

Back
Top Bottom