• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netherlands Close Eight Prisons Due To Lack Of Criminals

Northern Light

The Light of Truth
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Declining crime rates in the Netherlands mean that although the country has the capacity for 14,000 prisoners, there are only 12,000 detainees, reported the nrc.nl.

The decrease is expected to continue, the ministry said, with Deputy justice minister Nebahat Albayrak saying that natural redundancy and other measures should counter any forced lay-offs.

This is what the prison system looks like in a country that doesn't have insane drug laws and isn't arresting people for looking at a cop the wrong way.

Prisons are Big Business

"The omnipresent media blitz about serial killers, missing children, and “random violence” feeds our fear. In reality, however, most of the “criminals” we lock up are poor people who commit nonviolent crimes out of economic need. Violence occurs in less than 14% of all reported crime, and injuries occur in just 3%. In California, the top three charges for those entering prison are: possession of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance for sale, and robbery. Violent crimes like murder, rape, manslaughter and kidnapping don’t even make the top ten."

“Prisons are Big Business”: The Prison-Industrial Complex and the Global Economy | Global Research

Prisons are Big Business

"The omnipresent media blitz about serial killers, missing children, and “random violence” feeds our fear. In reality, however, most of the “criminals” we lock up are poor people who commit nonviolent crimes out of economic need. Violence occurs in less than 14% of all reported crime, and injuries occur in just 3%. In California, the top three charges for those entering prison are: possession of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance for sale, and robbery. Violent crimes like murder, rape, manslaughter and kidnapping don’t even make the top ten."

“Prisons are Big Business”: The Prison-Industrial Complex and the Global Economy | Global Research

Don't have time right now to read your link so it may cover this, but I remember seeing somewhere about how the private companies that own prisons on some states spend millions on lobbying those states for more strict drug possession laws. I found that hilarious.

Prisons are Big Business

I don't know. It seems there is conflicting information on the topic.

California's Changing Prison Population (PPIC Publication)

June 2013

A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.

At year-end 2012, 88% of inmates had a current or prior violent or serious felony conviction, and 16% were registered sex offenders. A large percentage of inmates have long-term sentences: 25% are serving a "second strike” sentence, and 19% are lifers with the possibility of parole. Smaller proportions are serving a "third strike” sentence (7%) or are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole (4%).

Don't have time right now to read your link so it may cover this, but I remember seeing somewhere about how the private companies that own prisons on some states spend millions on lobbying those states for more strict drug possession laws. I found that hilarious.

Wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know. It seems there is conflicting information on the topic.

California's Changing Prison Population (PPIC Publication)

June 2013

A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.

At year-end 2012, 88% of inmates had a current or prior violent or serious felony conviction, and 16% were registered sex offenders. A large percentage of inmates have long-term sentences: 25% are serving a "second strike” sentence, and 19% are lifers with the possibility of parole. Smaller proportions are serving a "third strike” sentence (7%) or are serving life sentences without the possibility of parole (4%).

From your link:

"A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.

One of our links is seriously wrong. I better look into this some more.

Your thread sawyer says that California started sending its lower risk prisoners to county prisons. Presumably, the stats in your link then represent only the 33 California state prisons that house mostly violent criminals. Thus, the stats are true, but aren't really comparable to the other link.

From your link:

"A vast majority of prisoners have committed violent or serious offenses.

One of our links is seriously wrong. I better look into this some more.

They can both be right, since violent criminals and "two strike" sentenced people are serving much longer sentenced. One ten year sentence vs twenty six month sentences if that makes sense.

They can both be right, since violent criminals and "two strike" sentenced people are serving much longer sentenced. One ten year sentence vs twenty six month sentences if that makes sense.

When I get time I'm going to dig deeper into this. I'm under the impression that our prisons are full due to drug laws but I could be wrong, I have never really researched it. Most of today I have spent researching what to do about ice dams in my roof valleys that fooked up my metal roofing last winter. IMPORTANT stuff! :lol:

An excellent opportunity to outsource our prisons.

This is what the prison system looks like in a country that doesn't have insane drug laws and isn't arresting people for looking at a cop the wrong way.

We even rented a prison out to the Belgians because they did not have enough jail cells to house their prisoners. 650 Belgian prisoners are housed at the Tilburg jail under Belgian rules, with a Belgian director of the jail but with Dutch staff to guard them.

They have a totally different demographic.

to some extend yes, but we also are much more densely populated, have problems with criminals from other countries who can enter and leave our country due to the European Union Schengen zone.

Wonder if they'd rent those prisons out for the USA's overflow! :lol:

As said, we do if for the Belgians and if we were situated next to the US we would be happy to if we could use our prison methods because I am not sure the US prison methods would be acceptable here (large prison dorms, cells with more than 2 or 3 to a cell).

In addition, in some places, peeing in a public place gets one labelled a sex offender and burglary is considered a violent felony.

to some extend yes, but we also are much more densely populated, have problems with criminals from other countries who can enter and leave our country due to the European Union Schengen zone.

How many illegall immigtants from Latin America are there in The Netherlands? We have millions? Amy MS-13 sets operating there?

An excellent opportunity to outsource our prisons.

While I would normally agree with you, some liberal judge would require that we buy them first-class tickets with free pillows and heated towels. Maybe we should let Mexico send their prisoners there and then us put ours in the Mexican prisons instead.

They have a totally different demographic.

And a cultural difference towards prisons. IIRC America locks up more criminals than any other industralized nation.

Paul

While I would normally agree with you, some liberal judge would require that we buy them first-class tickets with free pillows and heated towels. Maybe we should let Mexico send their prisoners there and then us put ours in the Mexican prisons instead.

That's OK with me. Let's send them our drug prisoners whose terrible crime was selling a hit of acid to an undercover cop at a concert.

That's OK with me. Let's send them our drug prisoners whose terrible crime was selling a hit of acid to an undercover cop at a concert.

Just as long as they are black--fair-skinned white people won't tolerate the Mexican sun and then we would have to waste money on Bullfrog products that will cut into our savings.

Wonder if they'd rent those prisons out for the USA's overflow! :lol:

Looks like an opportunity or Canada. Our gov't is considering closing the antiquated maximum nsecurity prison at Kingston, Ontario. Maybe e could contract it out.

Just as long as they are black--fair-skinned white people won't tolerate the Mexican sun and then we would have to waste money on Bullfrog products that will cut into our savings.

Misunderstanding. I'm sending them to Holland, not Mexico. That way they can get some decent weed while they serve their sentence for engaging in a voluntary business transaction.

Misunderstanding. I'm sending them to Holland, not Mexico. That way they can get some decent weed while they serve their sentence for engaging in a voluntary business transaction.

Then we shall have to settle this like Gentlemen the old fashioned way:

:duel

Back
Top Bottom