• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netherlands Aims To Ban All Non-Electric Cars By 2025

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
This is a bold, bold move for an entire country to do this. If the Middle East had any sense to secure their future, which it seems they never do, they would be covering their desert-land with solar panels and building a smart grid that ships that electricity to Europe.

The sale of all diesel and petrol cars could be banned by 2025 in the Netherlands if a proposed law to make all new cars electric passes.

The new law wouldn’t ban the use of existing petrol and diesel cars but all new car models would have to be emissions-free.

The majority of the lower house in the Dutch parliament supported the motion, which would also see the ban of fuel-efficient hybrid car models.

While it’s still unclear whether the proposal will pass and become law, the ambitious plan would involve car manufacturers getting on board to produce enough electric vehicles to meet demand.

The latest electric cars have shorter charging times and longer ranges, benefits that emission-free car evangelists hope will help make them appeal to users of traditional petrol and diesel cars.

Sales of electric cars are slowly increasing, while Tesla’s recently announced ‘affordble’ Model 3 has received a record number of pre-orders.​

So are they not confident they can win without banning the alternatives or what?

Remember folks:

The triumph of persuasion over force is the sign of a civilized society.

Last edited:
This is a bold, bold move for an entire country to do this. If the Middle East had any sense to secure their future, which it seems they never do, they would be covering their desert-land with solar panels and building a smart grid that ships that electricity to Europe.

The sale of all diesel and petrol cars could be banned by 2025 in the Netherlands if a proposed law to make all new cars electric passes.

The new law wouldn’t ban the use of existing petrol and diesel cars but all new car models would have to be emissions-free.

The majority of the lower house in the Dutch parliament supported the motion, which would also see the ban of fuel-efficient hybrid car models.

While it’s still unclear whether the proposal will pass and become law, the ambitious plan would involve car manufacturers getting on board to produce enough electric vehicles to meet demand.

The latest electric cars have shorter charging times and longer ranges, benefits that emission-free car evangelists hope will help make them appeal to users of traditional petrol and diesel cars.

Sales of electric cars are slowly increasing, while Tesla’s recently announced ‘affordble’ Model 3 has received a record number of pre-orders.​

Approximately 90% of electricity in the Netherlands is produced by fossil fuels.
Kinda dumb if you ask me.

It makes purchasing a vehicle there (which is very expensive compared to the US), more expensive and doesn't do much for the environment.

Approximately 90% of electricity in the Netherlands is produced by fossil fuels.

It makes purchasing a vehicle there (which is very expensive compared to the US), more expensive and doesn't do much for the environment.

Natural gas is their biggest source of electrical generation. Averaging between 50%-60%. While it is a fossil fuel, it is still far cleaner burning than standard petrol emissions. Not to mention that sources of electricity production isn't stagnant and will change. Mostly to green energy.

Natural gas is their biggest source of electrical generation. Averaging between 50%-60%. While it is a fossil fuel, it is still far cleaner burning than standard petrol emissions. Not to mention that sources of electricity production isn't stagnant and will change. Mostly to green energy.

While that's good, it's still very expensive for an electric car and I'm not seeing that come down significantly by 2025.
I actually looked into immigrating to the Netherlands and the estimated vehicle prices are much higher, a lot of that is due to taxes.

I don't think it right to push an even more expensive car like those are.

While that's good, it's still very expensive for an electric car and I'm not seeing that come down significantly by 2025.
How come? The first electric cars were over $100,000 base price. Now they're down to $35,000. Is our technology not going to improve over the next 10 years?

It looks they changed to the wording to mean they are going to try which means nothing. It also does not stop people going into Germany and buying a car there like they currently do anyways. In order to avoid paying paying road tax in the Netherlands Dutch people go into Germany, buy a cheap 25 year-old BMW or Mercedes because they are as plentiful as Fords are and bring it back.

I'll point-out the obvious, by stating a 'proposed law' is not a 'legislated law'.

But this part below (from the OP article), is interesting:

"While it’s still unclear whether the proposal will pass and become law, the ambitious plan would involve car manufacturers getting on board to produce enough electric vehicles to meet demand."

I wouldn't doubt if the auto-companies aren't jumping at joy to have a test-bed like this!

Now, could it work? In a small social leaning state like NL (or DK, etc.), with their culture of social cooperation and responsive government, it just might.

But here's why I think it would be problematic: "Do they subsequently ban tourists and other visitors from arriving via roadcars"? "What about visiting students, guest-workers, and other semi-permanent residents"?

This could get sticky fast!

I'll point-out the obvious, by stating a 'proposed law' is not a 'legislated law'.

But this part below (from the OP article), is interesting:

"While it’s still unclear whether the proposal will pass and become law, the ambitious plan would involve car manufacturers getting on board to produce enough electric vehicles to meet demand."

I wouldn't doubt if the auto-companies aren't jumping at joy to have a test-bed like this!

Now, could it work? In a small social leaning state like NL (or DK, etc.), with their culture of social cooperation and responsive government, it just might.

But here's why I think it would be problematic: "Do they subsequently ban tourists and other visitors from arriving via roadcars"? "What about visiting students, guest-workers, and other semi-permanent residents"?

This could get sticky fast!

As well as people like I stated before who just buy used cars because it is cheaper and they do not pay tax. Why would you buy a new electric car for 20,000€ when you can buy an old Mercedes for 3000€ that also does not qualify to pay road tax? But I do agree the Netherlands is probably the best place in the world to test wide scale adoption of electric vehicles because it is a small country with extremely high fuel costs. I imagine it is also part of the reason Tesla's European HQ is in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

I wonder what they'll do with all of the hazardous waste....ie - dead batteries.

As well as people like I stated before who just buy used cars because it is cheaper and they do not pay tax. Why would you buy a new electric car for 20,000€ when you can buy an old Mercedes for 3000€ that also does not qualify to pay road tax? But I do agree the Netherlands is probably the best place in the world to test wide scale adoption of electric vehicles because it is a small country with extremely high fuel costs. I imagine it is also part of the reason Tesla's European HQ is in the Netherlands.
I wasn't aware of the bolded. Thanks!

Look what just got invented......

Last edited:
I actually looked into immigrating to the Netherlands and the estimated vehicle prices are much higher, a lot of that is due to taxes.

I don't think it right to push an even more expensive car like those are.

They are going to come down a lot by then in price. The killer is the battery prices and Tesla's gigafactory is going to make a huge impact on mass production. They also open the patent on their battery so other manufacturers can use it.

They are going to come down a lot by then in price. The killer is the battery prices and Tesla's gigafactory is going to make a huge impact on mass production. They also open the patent on their battery so other manufacturers can use it.

I'm not against them, but I want to be down to earth about them as well.
I'm not sold on Tesla yet.

They have to come down further before I'd buy one.

90%? Yeah, that is a lot for a country that wants to do this. I could understand a country like France doing it. France gets 75% of its electricity from nuclear and makes more than it needs. They export the rest. France banning non-electric cars would make more sense.

I'm not against them, but I want to be down to earth about them as well.
I'm not sold on Tesla yet.

They have to come down further before I'd buy one.

I've been following them since their roadster. Then Model S then Model X and now this $35,000 Model 3. I haven't read anything about what's next but this model 3 is selling like hot-cakes with pre-orders. There is about 400,000 pre-orders already for this thing. Hopefully this will open some doors in the future. Can't wait for their gigawatt factory to get to 100% production mode to see what happens.

A small country like the Netherlands would make a great petri dish for new ideas and innovations.

If all electric is going to be done anywhere, it should be Netherlands. The country is slightly larger than Delaware and has few hills. I wonder though with Europe's open borders how they will handle tourists in their Mercedes, BMW's and Ferrari's

At the cost of the taxpayers.

Maybe, maybe not. If you recycle something, you can generally make the profit off of the resale of the materials. Which is why you can take your AA batteries to Best Buy and recycle them for free.

Back
Top Bottom