• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netherlands Aims To Ban All Non-Electric Cars By 2025

I prefer freedom. I don't want politicians telling me what I can drive and where I can go and forcing me to take out a second mortgage to fill up my tank. No thanks. I will deal with the 'externalities.'

That is no different than lots of restrictions on your actions that the community lays out. Take speeding or theft or any number of other limitations that you are accustomed to. Communities always regulate and/or produce public goods like security. They cannot function otherwise.

I prefer freedom. I don't want politicians telling me what I can drive and where I can go and forcing me to take out a second mortgage to fill up my tank. No thanks. I will deal with the 'externalities.'

Well then you might want to move out of the US being that we have politicians setting emission and mileage standards which is telling you what you can and can't drive. Politicians also tell you that you cannot go to certain countries. I mean wow... you live in such a nanny state.

That is no different than lots of restrictions on your actions that the community lays out. Take speeding or theft or any number of other limitations that you are accustomed to. Communities always regulate and/or produce public goods like security. They cannot function otherwise.

Well then you might want to move out of the US being that we have politicians setting emission and mileage standards which is telling you what you can and can't drive. Politicians also tell you that you cannot go to certain countries. I mean wow... you live in such a nanny state.

Thank you. I am aware of that. Both of you are making the same bogus assumption; that being since some regulations exist, any and all regulations are therefore just and warranted. Banning certain types of transportation, mandating others, pricing certain fuels out of the reach of the vast majority of people through high taxation, thus limiting the options, accessibility, and availability of the energy demands of the public is nothing short of tyrannical. It is a level of state control that should be unacceptable to any freedom minded individual.

Thank you. I am aware of that. Both of you are making the same bogus assumption; that being since some regulations exist, any and all regulations are therefore just and warranted. Banning certain types of transportation, mandating others, pricing certain fuels out of the reach of the vast majority of people through high taxation, thus limiting the options, accessibility, and availability of the energy demands of the public is nothing short of tyrannical. It is a level of state control that should be unacceptable to any freedom minded individual.

You might want to look into the economics of externalities and public goods. It is all rather interesting, actually.

Consider, that the zero emissions requirement could be met with existing cars,
as long as the fuel was produced in a carbon neutral process.
If Solar, Wind, Tidal, or Nuclear power generate electricity, which is stored
as carbon neutral hydrocarbon fuel, when you burn the fuel, it is zero emission.

This is a bold, bold move for an entire country to do this. If the Middle East had any sense to secure their future, which it seems they never do, they would be covering their desert-land with solar panels and building a smart grid that ships that electricity to Europe.

Netherlands Aims To Ban All Non-Electric Cars By 2025

The sale of all diesel and petrol cars could be banned by 2025 in the Netherlands if a proposed law to make all new cars electric passes.

The new law wouldn’t ban the use of existing petrol and diesel cars but all new car models would have to be emissions-free.

The majority of the lower house in the Dutch parliament supported the motion, which would also see the ban of fuel-efficient hybrid car models.

While it’s still unclear whether the proposal will pass and become law, the ambitious plan would involve car manufacturers getting on board to produce enough electric vehicles to meet demand.

The latest electric cars have shorter charging times and longer ranges, benefits that emission-free car evangelists hope will help make them appeal to users of traditional petrol and diesel cars.

Sales of electric cars are slowly increasing, while Tesla’s recently announced ‘affordble’ Model 3 has received a record number of pre-orders.​

Wont happen, but so long as thats what they want, have at it. Once the technology becomes superior to petrol engines, you wont need to force everyone to use it. But as of now, no electric car has all of the features of a petrol car.

Bah, it's the Netherlands. A 200-mile electric car limit means nothing to them. Hell, they can walk across their country without breaking a sweat! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom