• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netherlands Aims To Ban All Non-Electric Cars By 2025

A small country like the Netherlands would make a great petri dish for new ideas and innovations.

I wonder how well those toys could tow a 27 ft. boat. :roll:

Look what just got invented......

Funny stuff. I like how when it goes by people and they turn to look they aren't quite looking at it. CGI fail.

I don't think most people have a 27 ft. boat to worry about.

I think your whole existence revolves around ****ing on threads like this. You never contribute jack crap except your Eeyore outlook on everything.

Ahhh that good 'ol conservative "can't do" attitude.

This is a bold, bold move for an entire country to do this. If the Middle East had any sense to secure their future, which it seems they never do, they would be covering their desert-land with solar panels and building a smart grid that ships that electricity to Europe.

The sale of all diesel and petrol cars could be banned by 2025 in the Netherlands if a proposed law to make all new cars electric passes.

The new law wouldn’t ban the use of existing petrol and diesel cars but all new car models would have to be emissions-free.

The majority of the lower house in the Dutch parliament supported the motion, which would also see the ban of fuel-efficient hybrid car models.

While it’s still unclear whether the proposal will pass and become law, the ambitious plan would involve car manufacturers getting on board to produce enough electric vehicles to meet demand.

The latest electric cars have shorter charging times and longer ranges, benefits that emission-free car evangelists hope will help make them appeal to users of traditional petrol and diesel cars.

Sales of electric cars are slowly increasing, while Tesla’s recently announced ‘affordble’ Model 3 has received a record number of pre-orders.​

I think it's a stupid move given the insufficiencies ofnthe current tech and the unknown future of the tech as it develops.

Electric cars, when viewed through their whole production/life cycles, are not so much cleaner that conventional gas engines.

I think your whole existence revolves around ****ing on threads like this. You never contribute jack crap except your Eeyore outlook on everything.

Ahhh that good 'ol conservative "can't do" attitude.

So much hostility coming from the left. I'm sorry if I upset you. I guess I better keep my opinions to myself on this ....a'hem....political debate forum.

So much hostility coming from the left. I'm sorry if I upset you. I guess I better keep my opinions to myself on this ....a'hem....political debate forum.

If you think that is "so much hostility" then your skin is less than thin.

Last edited:
Timeline is probably a bit aggressive. Throw another 10-15 years on and it's a bit more reasonable a concept.

Personally, I think it's an issue of technological research. Figure out the batteries and you don't need to ban anything. Internal combustion engines are an inherently inferior technology, vastly less efficient than electric motors. Figure out the batteries and nobody is going to want those old smoky pieces of junk anymore.

This is a bold, bold move for an entire country to do this. If the Middle East had any sense to secure their future, which it seems they never do, they would be covering their desert-land with solar panels and building a smart grid that ships that electricity to Europe.

The sale of all diesel and petrol cars could be banned by 2025 in the Netherlands if a proposed law to make all new cars electric passes.

The new law wouldn’t ban the use of existing petrol and diesel cars but all new car models would have to be emissions-free.

The majority of the lower house in the Dutch parliament supported the motion, which would also see the ban of fuel-efficient hybrid car models.

While it’s still unclear whether the proposal will pass and become law, the ambitious plan would involve car manufacturers getting on board to produce enough electric vehicles to meet demand.

The latest electric cars have shorter charging times and longer ranges, benefits that emission-free car evangelists hope will help make them appeal to users of traditional petrol and diesel cars.

Sales of electric cars are slowly increasing, while Tesla’s recently announced ‘affordble’ Model 3 has received a record number of pre-orders.​

I do not see it passing n it's current form. For consumer automobiles, they could pull it off easily, in most countries around the world people walk, or take the bus. Most personal cars are rarely used or used in rural areas, but commercial vehicles would still rely on big diesel engines.

No one has a system yet to power rigs for long hauls off battery. That country already has few drivers in comparison to it's population,and those that do drive most do not drive massive distances like in the united states. For that law to work, they would need a commercial expemption for heavy trucks, or rebuild their infrastructure to use a cable car like power feed.

How come? The first electric cars were over $100,000 base price. Now they're down to $35,000. Is our technology not going to improve over the next 10 years?

The first electric cars were produced before internal combustion engines, I doubt someone in 1845 paid 100k for a car. There were even electric car conversion kits sold in the 60's, I believe they were around 1200 or so bucks then, which was kinda hefty since then you could buy a new car for around 3k for a low end.

I can only hope this becomes the norm for all countries. As non-electric transportation becomes more feasible, there really isn't any excuse not to transition.

Bold, but also not true. The parliament did pass a proposal but it is not a proposal that is of any consequence. The only thing the new approved proposal does is ask the government to strive to only sell (new) emission free cars in 2025. The government can ignore it if they want, the parliament has not made this a law that forces the government to take any action.

The actual bill says:

CHANGED MOTION BY PARLIAMENTARY MEMBER JAN VOS C.S.
TO REPLACE PRINTED VERSION UNDER NUMBER 448

Proposed March 29 2016.

The parliament,
hearing the discussions, reaches these conclusions:
- that it is possible to drive cars who have no emissions
- that the price of these cars is going to go down and that the miles these cars will increase and that both things are happening faster and faster if emission free transport will become the norm;
– that other countries (Norway, USA) are also making policies for emission free transport;
is of the opinion that the Netherlands should strive to only sell emission free (new) cars in 2025.

That is it, the full and total motion that was voted on. The real date the government has decided that we have to aim for in only allowing emission free cars is 2035 so they can quite easily ignore this motion.

So are they not confident they can win without banning the alternatives or what?

Remember folks:

The triumph of persuasion over force is the sign of a civilized society.

It is the Tragedy of the Commons in pure form. Were electric cars and alterative energy cheaper in comparison to oil, the persuasion would work fine.

Bold, but also not true. The parliament did pass a proposal but it is not a proposal that is of any consequence. The only thing the new approved proposal does is ask the government to strive to only sell (new) emission free cars in 2025. The government can ignore it if they want, the parliament has not made this a law that forces the government to take any action.

The actual bill says:

That is it, the full and total motion that was voted on. The real date the government has decided that we have to aim for in only allowing emission free cars is 2035 so they can quite easily ignore this motion.

Smart to be hesitant and leave open the way towards hydrogen based transport.

The Germans who were famously told by the EU bosses that they could not outlaw beer being sold that was not up to the German Purity Law will be thrilled to see that the Netherlands has such power.

Point of fact I doubt that they do, this will be overruled I predict with my limited knowledge of EU law.

Last edited:
It is the Tragedy of the Commons in pure form. Were electric cars and alterative energy cheaper in comparison to oil, the persuasion would work fine.

Indeed, there is a tragedy of the commons problem. With fossil fuel.

The price at the pump does not accurately reflect the actual cost of burning that gasoline.

Wow what a horrible place to live. Govt Nanny State on steroids.

Indeed, there is a tragedy of the commons problem. With fossil fuel.

The price at the pump does not accurately reflect the actual cost of burning that gasoline.

This is absolutely correct and if the climate people are right, oil is way below the required price. But nobody wants to correct that, though, it would be the only economically efficient way to save the commons.

This is absolutely correct and if the climate people are right, oil is way below the required price. But nobody wants to correct that, though, it would be the only economically efficient way to save the commons.

Except that the taxes generated would not go to 'saving the commons' (whatever that means) but would instead go to funding current and new statist wealth transfer payments. Like every other proposal emanating from the left, this is just another attempt to enhance the power of the state to control the lives and activities of the people over whom they rule.

Wow what a horrible place to live. Govt Nanny State on steroids.
The Netherlands are quite nice. Not outrageously expensive. Definitely safe. Everyone is educated and speaks multiple languages. It's rather pretty at times.

It also happens to be very flat and only a couple of feet above the sea level. If the ice caps melt it's S.O.L.

Except that the taxes generated would not go to 'saving the commons' (whatever that means) but would instead go to funding current and new statist wealth transfer payments. Like every other proposal emanating from the left, this is just another attempt to enhance the power of the state to control the lives and activities of the people over whom they rule.

What the funds are used for is a different question and separate. The effect comes from higher prices for goods using oil and causing climate pollution. If the price of gas goes up, people will tend to drive less, buy smaller cars and eventually move closer to where they work. The high the tax goes the stronger will be its forcing impact. If gas costs 20 dollars there will be more electric automobiles on the road.

What the funds are used for is a different question and separate. The effect comes from higher prices for goods using oil and causing climate pollution. If the price of gas goes up, people will tend to drive less, buy smaller cars and eventually move closer to where they work. The high the tax goes the stronger will be its forcing impact. If gas costs 20 dollars there will be more electric automobiles on the road.

You are demonstrating my point about the state 'controlling the lives and activities of the people over whom they rule' quite nicely. Now, that may not bother you, but there are still freedom loving people who object to this level of state power and use of force--regardless of how 'good' any supposed end might be.

You are demonstrating my point about the state 'controlling the lives and activities of the people over whom they rule' quite nicely. Now, that may not bother you, but there are still freedom loving people who object to this level of state power and use of force--regardless of how 'good' any supposed end might be.

Oh. I was just explaining the economic optimum to you. If a society decides it prefers suboptimal allocation of resources, it can do so. It will mean living with the externalities involved, however.

The Netherlands are quite nice. Not outrageously expensive. Definitely safe. Everyone is educated and speaks multiple languages. It's rather pretty at times.

It also happens to be very flat and only a couple of feet above the sea level. If the ice caps melt it's S.O.L.

Good for them, but Ill chose Liberty over a nanny state any day

Oh. I was just explaining the economic optimum to you. If a society decides it prefers suboptimal allocation of resources, it can do so. It will mean living with the externalities involved, however.

I prefer freedom. I don't want politicians telling me what I can drive and where I can go and forcing me to take out a second mortgage to fill up my tank. No thanks. I will deal with the 'externalities.'

Back
Top Bottom