• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Netflix to Stream Films From Paramount, Lions Gate, MGM

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Netflix (NFLX) clinched a deal to stream movies online from three Hollywood studios just three months after they appear on pay television.

The deal with pay-TV company Epix will let Netflix stream movies from studios Paramount Pictures, Lionsgate and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer much sooner than it does currently, The New York Times reported. The deal is likely to cost Netflix a total of almost $1 billion in licensing fees.

See full article from DailyFinance: Netflix Clinches Deal to Stream Hollywood Movies Sooner - DailyFinance

Use Pirate Bay, then you dont have to pay ANYTHING :)

How is that legal?
Under the letter of the law, it isnt.

I support it for two reasons.

The first, I support the freedom of information. ALL information. Access to information is what makes a society free

Second is because it will eventually lead to the downfall of the Hollywood industry. Once the INDUSTRY is gone, it paves the way for more independent work, it clears out all the cookie cutter movies and cliches, it lowers the cost of consuming media for the average person, and we still get access to a wide variety of different media. We keep out creativity and urge to create but we lose the industrial side of it.

The first, I support the freedom of information. ALL information. Access to information is what makes a society free

Second is because it will eventually lead to the downfall of the Hollywood industry. Once the INDUSTRY is gone, it paves the way for more independent work, it clears out all the cookie cutter movies and cliches, it lowers the cost of consuming media for the average person, and we still get access to a wide variety of different media. We keep out creativity and urge to create but we lose the industrial side of it.

Translation: I'm a cheapskate SOB that doesn't wanna pay for movies.

Cause your LOGIC fails.

You don't like the Hollywood Establishments Movies cause they are cookie cutter cliche blah blah blah blah, yet you take the effort to STEAL their movies to watch them.

Again, you need to be arrested for theft, forced to pay for all the IP you've stolen, and spend sometime behind bars.

Ahh yes, why pay when you can steal from others. I hope you get tossed in jail.
Theft is the intentional removing of property from one person. Copying is not theft as no one is deprived of anything they own.

Again, you need to be arrested for theft, forced to pay for all the IP you've stolen, and spend sometime behind bars.
I dont download personally. As much as I support it, the internet I use is under the name of my housemate. If legal consequences come down, it'll come down on him as the account owner and I dont want to get him in trouble.

But you were gonna throw me under the bus? I can't decide if I should laugh or be pissed.

It's too hot to do either, so I'm going to sulk.

/sulk

Theft is the intentional removing of property from one person. Copying is not theft as no one is deprived of anything they own.

I dont download personally. As much as I support it, the internet I use is under the name of my housemate. If legal consequences come down, it'll come down on him as the account owner and I dont want to get him in trouble.

No, you are wrong.

I'll use my favorite example.

Let's say next year you create the worlds greatest 30 min short film. It's a hit EVERYWHERE! So you land a deal with a distributor, and they pay you upfront $250K, with expectations of $5M pay out if your short film just does 1,000,000 in sales in 6 months, or $1 per copy sold if it doesn't.

So, 6 months go by, and you have big plans, go back to school, start a new studio for some new ideas you have, buy a new house...

And you show up at ACME Video Distribution and they hand you a check for $788,945.00. (Pretend there is no tax for means of easy discussion would ya? ).

You go home dejected. You happen to pop-on to piratebay and see your video has been downloaded 300,000 times... this week.

Is it still "not theft" buddy?

No, you are wrong.

I'll use my favorite example.

Let's say next year you create the worlds greatest 30 min short film. It's a hit EVERYWHERE! So you land a deal with a distributor, and they pay you upfront $250K, with expectations of $5M pay out if your short film just does 1,000,000 in sales in 6 months, or $1 per copy sold if it doesn't.

So, 6 months go by, and you have big plans, go back to school, start a new studio for some new ideas you have, buy a new house...

And you show up at ACME Video Distribution and they hand you a check for $788,945.00. (Pretend there is no tax for means of easy discussion would ya? ).

You go home dejected. You happen to pop-on to piratebay and see your video has been downloaded 300,000 times... this week.

Is it still "not theft" buddy?
Expected profit is not theft because you are making a couple of assumptions.

First, you are assuming that people who downloaded your movie would have bought the movie had they not downloaded it.

Second, you dont know if it really was the downloading that hurt your sales because a total number of downloads doesn't tell you anything about what those files were used for or who downloaded them. These downloads could have been from China where your movie wasn't released and therefore you would have received no profit from that market anyways.

Third, you cant preemptively claim people's money as your own if they haven't even spent it yet. You can expect a certain amount of money to be spent, but you cant claim it as theft if some external source diverts that revenue away from you because that money was never yours to begin with.

This entire example is moot because both RIAA and MPAA people have admitted in court under oath that the downloading of media doesn't significantly impact their sales.
Oops: MPAA admits college piracy numbers grossly inflated

On top of that, we have a shift in our media consumption that is changing the way media is distributed. When estimating a sales loss, the RIAA and other groups do not differentiate between legitimate downloading (Amazon, iTunes) and file sharing services and consider the download of one song to be equal to the loss of sale of one CD. CD sales and theater ticket sales are falling because these are out-dated and expensive forms of media consumption that can be rivaled or surpassed by other means so the slump in CD and ticket sales cannot be solely blamed on file sharing services.

Furthermore, this sort of scary rhetoric has been around since before any computer was ever fired up. People thought that sheet music would kill live performances, then they thought recorded music would kill live performances, then they said that people recording off the radio onto cassettes would kill the music industry, then they said the same thing about Betamax and VCRs. Every generation there's some new BS scare story about us NEVER HAVING ANY MORE MUSIC EVER AGAIN if the public somehow gets a hold of some new recording medium. It was bull**** then, it's bull**** now.

What we are seeing is a shift away from the corporate labels and into more independent music and film. The music and movie INDUSTRIES may die, but movies and music never will.

But you were gonna throw me under the bus? I can't decide if I should laugh or be pissed.

It's too hot to do either, so I'm going to sulk.

/sulk
Its your choice as a sentient human being if you want to do something or not. I didnt hide anything from you or obfuscate. You asked a direct question, I answered.

Last edited:
Yes, I know. Soooo - you're not willing to own that you tried to send me to someplace you won't even go yourself because you don't want to get your roommate in trouble?

Its your choice as a sentient human being if you want to do something or not. I didnt hide anything from you or obfuscate. You asked a direct question, I answered.

First. Its stealing.
Second. You want to derail a multi trillion dollar industry, which is bound to badly damage an economy, all because you want teh free stuffz.

Expected profit is not theft because you are making a couple of assumptions.

First, you are assuming that people who downloaded your movie would have bought the movie had they not downloaded it.

Second, you dont know if it really was the downloading that hurt your sales because a total number of downloads doesn't tell you anything about what those files were used for or who downloaded them. These downloads could have been from China where your movie wasn't released and therefore you would have received no profit from that market anyways.

Third, you cant preemptively claim people's money as your own if they haven't even spent it yet. You can expect a certain amount of money to be spent, but you cant claim it as theft if some external source diverts that revenue away from you because that money was never yours to begin with.

This entire example is moot because both RIAA and MPAA people have admitted in court under oath that the downloading of media doesn't significantly impact their sales.
Oops: MPAA admits college piracy numbers grossly inflated

On top of that, we have a shift in our media consumption that is changing the way media is distributed. When estimating a sales loss, the RIAA and other groups do not differentiate between legitimate downloading (Amazon, iTunes) and file sharing services and consider the download of one song to be equal to the loss of sale of one CD. CD sales and theater ticket sales are falling because these are out-dated and expensive forms of media consumption that can be rivaled or surpassed by other means so the slump in CD and ticket sales cannot be solely blamed on file sharing services.

Furthermore, this sort of scary rhetoric has been around since before any computer was ever fired up. People thought that sheet music would kill live performances, then they thought recorded music would kill live performances, then they said that people recording off the radio onto cassettes would kill the music industry, then they said the same thing about Betamax and VCRs. Every generation there's some new BS scare story about us NEVER HAVING ANY MORE MUSIC EVER AGAIN if the public somehow gets a hold of some new recording medium. It was bull**** then, it's bull**** now.

What we are seeing is a shift away from the corporate labels and into more independent music and film. The music and movie INDUSTRIES may die, but movies and music never will.

You're a thief, and you should go to jail.

I do not support Hoplite's anti-industry agenda, but the media industry has made doom-and-gloom projections of their own downfall and demanded governmental intervention every single time a technology has been invented that increased consumer control over their viewing and listening habits and the industry has survived and thrived, even adopting many of the same technologies they have railed against. This is merely the first time that the government was stupid enough to give them what they wanted.

Government intervention to protect old industries from new technologies is a fruitless endeavor.

Yes, I know. Soooo - you're not willing to own that you tried to send me to someplace you won't even go yourself because you don't want to get your roommate in trouble?
I had assumed you'd do research on your own before blindly accepting the word of a stranger. Was that a wrong assumption to make?

Second. You want to derail a multi trillion dollar industry, which is bound to badly damage an economy
The economy will adapt. The economy did not crumble when the horse and buggy industry went down after the advent of the automobile.

What shape was the economy in before the advent? I should think it improved, with the start of the auto industry.

I had assumed you'd do research on your own before blindly accepting the word of a stranger. Was that a wrong assumption to make?

The economy will adapt. The economy did not crumble when the horse and buggy industry went down after the advent of the automobile.

Silly boy. What was the very first thing I posted to you after you said pirate whatever? I didn't need to research. The point remains if I'd been clueless, and trusting, I'd have been someplace you won't go yourself.

What shape was the economy in before the advent? I should think it improved, with the start of the auto industry.
It did improve after a small tumble.

Silly boy. What was the very first thing I posted to you after you said pirate whatever? I didn't need to research. The point remains if I'd been clueless, and trusting, I'd have been someplace you won't go yourself.
Then, I would have to say, it would be on your own head for being so trusting of someone you know nothing about.

I may be able to blame someone who gets people sick by selling them "miracle cures" for harming people, but I also have to lay blame on those who took these without any sort of confirmation or investigation.

Wow, you just keep digging yourself in deeper on the "man with no honor" front.

Wow, you just keep digging yourself in deeper on the "man with no honor" front.
I take grave offense to that. I assumed you were a coherent enough person to make even the most cursory investigation into the idea before simply throwing yourself into it.

You do? Really? What makes a man of honor? You steal, and if anybody follows you because they were naive and gullible to trust you, well that's on them.

I take grave offense to that. I assumed you were a coherent enough person to make even the most cursory investigation into the idea before simply throwing yourself into it.

You do? Really? What makes a man of honor?
Honesty, courage, patience, fairness, and devotion to one's ideals. That's the definition I use, anyways.

You steal
I have already addressed and rebuffed this point.

and if anybody follows you because they were naive and gullible to trust you, well that's on them.
I treat people with a certain level of respect and that means I dont hold their hand while talking to them. I assume that the vast majority of individuals are at least reasonably capable and competent individuals who dont dash off on the word of someone they dont know. I am not offended if someone wants to verify what I tell them, I like to be trusted but at the same time I realize and respect the need to verify.

Cool. Can you please help liberate me by PMing me with your social security number, birth date, and bank account passwords?

Hoplite said:

Maybe the reason those "cookie cutter movies and cliches" do so well at the box office is because people LIKE them. How exactly are independent studios harmed by the pay-for-access model anyway?

More on the topic of this thread, I think this is great. My biggest gripe with Netflix right now is that only about 10-20% of their movies are available on Instant Play. Hopefully this will add a lot to their collection. In five years, DVDs will be as dead as VHS tapes. It's all going to be streaming video.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom